Butch Femme Planet

Butch Femme Planet (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/index.php)
-   Building Community On Butchfemmeplanet.com (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=129)
-   -   Breaking the Spell: Rethinking queer community (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3734)

SecretAgentMa'am 09-28-2011 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by June (Post 427342)
People have actually said "I can't disagree with June or I will be banned" and "I can't say what I want because I will get in trouble". This is complete bullshit. I don't even agree with people who have eaten at my table all the time. I think we can all tell when someone is engaging in a heated way over a difference of opinion and someone who is just being nasty because they didn't get enough attention from their parents. I can't use the ignore feature here, but I do choose (eventually) not to engage with people that I consider untrustworthy or mean spirited because of their consistent behavior patterns.

This reminded me of the years I spent in HR. I spent a few years working for a temporary staffing agency, and a couple of years in the HR office of a huge, well-known company (whose name starts with a Q and ends with a direction). Every time there was a hiring event with lots of applicants and not enough positions for all of them, I was pretty well guaranteed to spend a few days taking calls from people who didn't get hired and wanted to yell at me about how they *knew* they hadn't been hired because "their" job was given to some less qualified woman or minority to satisfy an affirmative action quota.

That's not actually how affirmative action works, and such a thing never happened even once (and I'm in a position to know since I'm the one who was doing the interviewing and hiring), but that didn't matter even a little bit. What mattered is that they wanted it to not be their fault that they didn't get the job, and they wanted to feel like they were a victim instead of just someone who didn't make the cut. Quite often, the people making these calls were the same people I remembered vividly because of how they'd behaved during their interviews. They'd ensured in their first five minutes in my office that there was no way I was going to hire them for anything. The people I had the greatest reason for passing over were the people who yelled the loudest about how they were being screwed over by someone else.

Okay, that was a tangent. I think I've had that rant simmering for years. I think the same principle applies here, though. Some people really, really want to believe that if something doesn't go their way, it's not because they did anything wrong. They can't be wrong. It has to be that someone is out to get them.

Please be assured that when I disappear from your friends list in a couple of days, it's not because I got moderated (not that I have been). I'm just deleting my Facebook account in a couple of days in favor of Google+.

SecretAgentMa'am 09-28-2011 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dixielady (Post 427353)
Case in point: I would actually wear the ones in the middle.

I knew someone would say this. :) I was actually looking for a picture with just the ones on the ends but I was having trouble finding one with a link that would show up in my post. I promise I don't think you're a bad person for liking them. I would be afraid I'd fall off of them and kill myself, but I'm sure you could rock them like nobody's business.

The really strange-looking ones are apparently getting really popular because Lady Gaga wears them.

atomiczombie 09-28-2011 09:46 PM

These *might be* ridiculous shoes

http://i813.photobucket.com/albums/z...1224115558.jpg

http://i813.photobucket.com/albums/z...1224115851.jpg

http://i813.photobucket.com/albums/z...Pl1_conew3.jpg

http://i813.photobucket.com/albums/z...312_conew1.jpg

SecretAgentMa'am 09-28-2011 09:57 PM

:blink:

Wow. You win.

Ranger Butch Force 09-28-2011 10:11 PM

I thought I could do this from my phone but it is more difficult than I imagined! So, when Im able to get back on the computer and read through everything without having to pinch, zoom, double tap and so on, I will voice my opinions.

BTW, I love science as Dr. Megavolt is one of my heroes!

betenoire 09-28-2011 11:35 PM

Google+ for the win. Just saying.

DapperButch 09-29-2011 06:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by betenoire (Post 427496)
Google+ for the win. Just saying.

Are you gonna switch?

betenoire 09-29-2011 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DapperButch (Post 427565)
Are you gonna switch?

Well I've got both right now. Mostly Google+ is a novelty for me...and I can access it from work (they have facebook blocked but haven't caught on to Google+ yet)

SecretAgentMa'am 09-29-2011 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by betenoire (Post 427709)
Well I've got both right now. Mostly Google+ is a novelty for me...and I can access it from work (they have facebook blocked but haven't caught on to Google+ yet)

Have you heard about the new profile they just started rolling out? It's basically going to keep track of your life story, they're going to be trying hard to get people to enter their medical history into it, then they'll be selling that information to insurance companies.

Also, FB is changing their privacy policy yet again. Before, information about you could only be stored for 24 hours, then all those apps you've authorized would have to re-download. Now, if you decide to put, say, your home address into your profile and then 10 seconds later think "no, actually that's not a good idea," too bad. It's already too late, and everyone who got that information from your profile (all those apps again, plus Facebook advertisers in general, have your information and they can keep it forever. It will no longer matter what changes you make to your privacy settings, if a piece of information was public for even a second, it's available to anyone who wants to purchase it, forever.

Which is why I'm deleting my account before they get to me in the rollout.

betenoire 09-29-2011 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SecretAgentMa'am (Post 427730)
Have you heard about the new profile they just started rolling out? It's basically going to keep track of your life story, they're going to be trying hard to get people to enter their medical history into it, then they'll be selling that information to insurance companies.

No kidding? That's facebook, right? Out MEDICAL histories? So nuts!

SecretAgentMa'am 09-29-2011 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by betenoire (Post 427739)

Yep, Facebook. A lot of people seem to forget that if you're not paying for a service, but the service is making a lot of money, then you are the product being sold. The same is true of Google+, which obviously isn't perfect, but far less invasive than Facebook.

AtLast 09-29-2011 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by betenoire (Post 427739)

Our rights to privacy have never been so fragile and on the verge of extinction. We pay a high price for the wonders and advantages of technology via the web.

My neice just became a licensed private detective after many years in the insurance claims industry. She decided to put her skills into a means to retire from working for a huge workers comp corporation and work for herself. She showed me the spyware available and just how easy getting information on all of us is just via the internet. From cell phone numbers (oh, you thought these could not be reversed for address, or your tower pings gps coordinates not followed unless by police?), to really very scary access to medical records, including mental health records. Yes, some of these programs require investigative credentials and licensing to aquire- but we all know about black markets, right? Things like sealed records, forget it!! Want to know the details of someones divorce decree? You can get that. Want a list of presciptions someone takes, no problem.

Crazy scary!!!

Jett 09-29-2011 03:33 PM

Yeah I've been toying with deleting my FB account for some time now... especially when I clicked a few things and found my entire contact list from my Blackberry... friends, family yada yada.

And... so... since I have quite a few of you here in this thread there, if I go poof from your friends list just know I didn't un-friend you... =)

DapperButch 09-29-2011 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by betenoire (Post 427709)

I asked b/c I read an article that included comments from people. It was that day they did whatever the latest change is that everyone hates. Anyway, people in the comments section were talking about ditching FB and switching to Google+