Butch Femme Planet

Butch Femme Planet (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hobbies, Crafts, Interests (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   BASEBALL! (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2171)

AtLast 04-03-2011 03:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ciaran (Post 312897)
I have no interest in present day baseball whatsoever but have a strong interest in vintage imaginery of the early New York Yankees' sides.

For many years, I've collected original Yankees photographs from their origins in 1903 through to the late 1940s, with a particular liking for items from the 1920s. I'm not really sure what started the interest but just find this vintage imagery so alluring and way ahead of its time.

This sound wonderful! My Dad had some vintage baseball photos- I believe a nephew has them now.

After the incident of a fan getting attacked in LA this past week (he is in a medically induced coma at present), I'm having a difficult time with the season starting. I have loved the game all my life and enjoy going to games to this day. But, this makes me sick.

southernboi63 04-03-2011 08:16 AM

Lets go Cincinnati Reds....been a big fan of them for as long as I can remember.....

girl_dee 04-03-2011 09:05 AM

Go RED SOX!!

Guy 04-03-2011 09:20 AM

Gooooooooooooo Yankees!

Glenn 04-03-2011 09:42 AM

GO CUBS!
Does anyone have the 1-800 number for the Chicago Cubs anger management/curse confidence counseling services? Thanks!:)

AtLast 04-03-2011 01:14 PM

GO GIANTS!!! Fuck YEAH!!! There will never be a team like last year's again. Pure heart!!! It felt like the old days of baseball for me watching them.

Ciaran 04-03-2011 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AtLastHome (Post 313109)
GO GIANTS!!! Fuck YEAH!!! There will never be a team like last year's again. Pure heart!!! It felt like the old days of baseball for me watching them.

The old days of baseball? Like when the Giants and Dodgers were New York teams ;)

As a European sports fan, I just don't understand (or like) the US franchise system where teams with long-established routes in one city can up and leave to another part of the country like that.

AtLast 04-03-2011 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ciaran (Post 313113)
The old days of baseball? Like when the Giants and Dodgers were New York teams ;)

As a European sports fan, I just don't understand (or like) the US franchise system where teams with long-established routes in one city can up and leave to another part of the country like that.

My "old days!" My first games were at Seal Stadium in SF right after the Giants were uprooted.

I can see your point here. My parents were huge baseball fans- and "courted" when the Giants and Dodgers were NY teams. Since they eventually settled in northern CA, they were happy about these teams ending up here. Although, they sure talked up the days of the "Bums".

Ciaran 04-03-2011 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AtLastHome (Post 313118)
My "old days!" My first games were at Seal Stadium in SF right after the Giants were uprooted.

Presumably one of the grounds where the SF Seals played? Until recently, I had a Japanese program for a goodwill tour that the Seals made to Japan in 1949.

My young nephew is half-Japanese and the Japanese are very interested in baseball so I'm determined that he'll be raised as a Yankees fan :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by AtLastHome (Post 313118)
I can see your point here. My parents were huge baseball fans- and "courted" when the Giants and Dodgers were NY teams. Since they eventually settled in northern CA, they were happy about these teams ending up here. Although, they sure talked up the days of the "Bums".

Their history was so romantic - always the bridesmaid and never the bride ... until 1955 when "next year finally came" :) ...... one of the best stories of sporting history.

Ken Burns' Baseball, a documentary series from the early to mid 1990s, is a great program with some absolutely fantastic footage.

Scorp 04-03-2011 02:28 PM

Home boys....

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/__hZ_o_vTwr...600/redsox.jpg

Kobi 04-03-2011 02:32 PM

The Rangers are beating the crap out of my Red Sox to start this season. Third game and they have 11 home runs so far. WTF?!?!

chefhottie25 04-03-2011 07:21 PM

my cubs lost 2 in a 3 game series with the pittsburgh pirates. hopefully they can get a win at home tomorrow against the diamond backs.

AtLast 04-03-2011 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ciaran (Post 313134)
Presumably one of the grounds where the SF Seals played? Until recently, I had a Japanese program for a goodwill tour that the Seals made to Japan in 1949.

My young nephew is half-Japanese and the Japanese are very interested in baseball so I'm determined that he'll be raised as a Yankees fan :)

KEWL!!

Their history was so romantic - always the bridesmaid and never the bride ... until 1955 when "next year finally came" :) ...... one of the best stories of sporting history.

Sure did!! I have so many great memories of seeing them play back then- and Willie Mays. My brother played Triple A ball (catcher) was scouted by the Giants. His HSW team took the state championship one year. Never made it though, but baseball was such a part of my childhood. I was the "bat girl" for his HS and triple A team. And he broke my fingers more than once and my nose when I would catch for him because he wanted to be a pitcher. I played softball, but back then, girls sports were nothing. Pre-Title IX. Sucked. But we had hella baseball games in the neighborhood that were co-ed. My parents both played, too.

Ken Burns' Baseball, a documentary series from the early to mid 1990s, is a great program with some absolutely fantastic footage.

Yes, this great- and you are right that the modern day MLB has lost some of the magic. One of the things I really enjoyed about last year's SF Giants was that they were a team of young, no-name players- a "team!" No super stars. Plus, I love Lincecum's long hair and Wilsons beard.

Phooey- they are getting beat by the Dodgers tonight!!

Greyson 04-04-2011 02:43 PM

Go Dodgers!

The Dodgers trounced the Giants pretty good this weekend for the opening of the season.

AtLast 04-04-2011 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greyson (Post 313600)
Go Dodgers!

The Dodgers trounced the Giants pretty good this weekend for the opening of the season.

They sure did- damn! except, I always root for Dodger Blue when my Giants are out of the play-offs and the Dodgers are in. Always for the National League.

Thought the Giants might over take the dodgers last night- phooey!! Hoping next time these teams play in SF, I will catch a game at the park. I have a couple of nephews that are Dodger (from So Cal) fans and we always have a good time going to see our teams together- lots of attitude and outlandish claims!

foxyshaman 04-04-2011 03:25 PM

I am soooooo excited baseball is back!!! I love me some baseball. I don't have a favorite team, that would be like work for me. I generally cheer for the brightest jersey, I am well aware that makes some of you hardcore fans roll your eyeballs. I like the stats. I have some favorite players. I really enjoy watching the pitcher/backcatcher teams. I just enjoy it all.

Oh and I LOVED watching the Bluejays opening game... Oh Canada Our Home and Native Land....

signed,

The dorky fox

chefhottie25 04-04-2011 04:00 PM

yay! my cubs beat the diamondbacks 4 to 1 today. Playing them again tomorrow. go cubbies.

AtLast 05-21-2011 10:54 PM

Watched Tim Lincicum pitch a shut-out today against the A's. It is my sister's 74th BD and her Grandson's 32nd. We all got together at AT&T Park and had a great time. Beautiful day and it was good to be with some family. My brother-in-law was not a jerk- so all went well.

GO GIANTS!!

AtLast 05-26-2011 01:09 PM

Oh, NO!! Posey may be out for the season!

How are fav teams doing for everyone else? LOL, Marlin fans are probably happy today.

Miss July 05-27-2011 09:55 AM

How about those Red Sox .................

Gooooooooooooooo Red Sox!