Butch Femme Planet

Butch Femme Planet (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hobbies, Crafts, Interests (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Bushcraft (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7985)

kittygrrl 02-20-2016 03:34 PM

we are not built like men...

this is reality..it's just not easy for women, at least softer ones, which is me..so I relate well to this video..so take heart, anybody can do this, you don't have to be a macho nacho!

Sweet Bliss 02-21-2016 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cinnamongrrl (Post 1042003)
I'm coming a little late to the fire starting party...but...

I have reading glasses...the store bought magnifying kind. I read that those in particular make a good fire starter in a pinch. But I have at least 3 sources for fire in my pack at all times. Just in case. Fire can mean life in a bad situation.

Oh? Which three? I have flint matches lighter and lenses from old camera.

kittygrrl 03-14-2016 01:23 AM

start small..

FireSignFemme 03-14-2016 06:56 AM

But Dream Big...

http://img2-2.timeinc.net/people/i/2...griest-800.jpg

kittygrrl 06-10-2016 10:44 AM

thoughtful...

Glenn 06-11-2016 10:57 AM

Tick Rant

Ticks are blood-sucking tanks that sink themselves into your skin and NEVER let go. They make a big swollen spot where they feed on your blood, and poison you. You itch like crazy. They can fly and jump under your clothes, and into your private parts, which they especially love. I've had them in my hair, ears, under my breast, around my vagina, and yesterday, found one in my bellybutton! Even though I protect myself with clothing, they stay on my working clothes until I wear them again. I must check my clothes better! They are round brown with legs all around. I stomped on one about ten times, and that sucker still didn't die. Maybe kittygrrl will pic a tick. The only way to get rid of these suckers is with fire! If you just pick them off, their head will still stay in you. Use the tip of a match or knife, or anything sharp, put in a fire, and touch it's back. It should jump off. If it don't, slide something thin under it too. With the one deep in my bellybutton, I had to maneuver a 10 magnifying mirror, tweezers, and light to see it, and pull it out. The itch and lump will still be in me for weeks. I HATE THEM! If you don't have fire to kill them, you can suffocate them with vasoline, or get in a bathtub, with as hot as you can stand it water, and drown them. Rant over.

kittygrrl 06-11-2016 03:11 PM

Glenn

Your experience with tics is truly horrific. I've been in the woods a lot and I've only had a few issues. Perhaps I've been lucky...I understand they can leave you ill with diseases...I do take some precautions, tick proof clothing, thick, knee boot socks with boots, organic tic spray and I try to clear the areas I've camped in..I haven't camped in a while but because it's just not safe anymore, too many nuts about..as a substitute I bivouac in the back yard and it's ok. It's a little lame but I was in the back yard learning some things and realized hey this feels amazing, because I wasnt on edge watching out of the corner of my eye for a bear or a serial killer...that's the unfortunate shit you have to consider when going out to camp alone...don't(at least not in the United States).

kittygrrl 07-04-2016 08:53 PM

I love scary..

homoe 07-04-2016 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glenn (Post 1070435)
Ticks are blood-sucking tanks that sink themselves into your skin and NEVER let go. They make a big swollen spot where they feed on your blood, and poison you. You itch like crazy. They can fly and jump under your clothes, and into your private parts, which they especially love. I've had them in my hair, ears, under my breast, around my vagina, and yesterday, found one in my bellybutton! Even though I protect myself with clothing, they stay on my working clothes until I wear them again. I must check my clothes better! They are round brown with legs all around. I stomped on one about ten times, and that sucker still didn't die. Maybe kittygrrl will pic a tick. The only way to get rid of these suckers is with fire! If you just pick them off, their head will still stay in you. Use the tip of a match or knife, or anything sharp, put in a fire, and touch it's back. It should jump off. If it don't, slide something thin under it too. With the one deep in my bellybutton, I had to maneuver a 10 magnifying mirror, tweezers, and light to see it, and pull it out. The itch and lump will still be in me for weeks. I HATE THEM! If you don't have fire to kill them, you can suffocate them with vasoline, or get in a bathtub, with as hot as you can stand it water, and drown them. Rant over.

When I was a child, I remember every night at bedtime being check for ticks when I was visiting in Escanaba Michigan at my grandparents! I only got one or two but I remember them burning them with fire.
Sort of made an impression and maybe that's another reason I'm not a big fan or camping or other outdoor activities!

kittygrrl 08-17-2016 08:56 PM

Juniper Ash-Gad Bit'eesh

Needed for Navajo Blue Corn Dishes-In every thing they do, the Navajo respect for the land is always the rule.

kittygrrl 08-23-2016 03:19 PM

tinder nests

lots
of different materials you can use. Make several different kinds. This guy's for real.

Lyte 08-23-2016 04:17 PM

Man... when I saw the heading bushcraft... I was so WTH?! :| lol

I rarely ever see the word "bush" used in America to mean the wilderness! Seems with all the survival shows on TV it's becoming a more popular term. Great topic!!

kittygrrl 08-23-2016 09:45 PM

I call it a starter kit...

he call's it "the five essentials"..it's a she says tomuhto, he says tomayto..kind of thing..

kittygrrl 08-23-2016 10:33 PM

I have a little bit of trouble with his canteen choice, to me you should buy a steel container first, that you can boil water in. You can't always depend on portable water or water tablets to get you by. Boiling water is a basic you should know how to do. Also it's not a bad idea to build a filter. I've done it in the past with charcoal, sand, and gravel. You layer it then run your water thru it a few times. This is something you can do with the raw materials you can find near your water source and might get you by if by any chance you can't boil your water. If you're interested in a link, you tube has many of them. I'll post one if I think of it later..happy bushcrafting!

Jesse 08-31-2016 09:01 AM

This "Chippewa Kitchen" shown by BushcraftOnFire is interesting and fun to create if you plan to be in one spot for a couple of weeks.

kittygrrl 09-13-2016 07:20 AM

Jesse

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jesse (Post 1087574)
This "Chippewa Kitchen" shown by BushcraftOnFire is interesting and fun to create if you plan to be in one spot for a couple of weeks.

Great video! :yeahthat: This has been in my library for a couple of years. I've not had a chance to set one up yet but it's on my bucket list!

Jesse 09-13-2016 07:49 AM

Mine as well. He is one of my many favorites as far as male bushcrafters goes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kittygrrl (Post 1092432)
Great video! :yeahthat: This has been in my library for a couple of years. I've not had a chance to set one up yet but it's on my bucket list!

kittygrrl 09-13-2016 05:53 PM

Fire Feathers are cool..

kittygrrl 11-27-2016 09:41 PM

Winter fire go to-

pumpndude 11-28-2016 01:05 AM

WOW

I really like this site, I didn't know what bushcraft ment but I have read most of the posts and now I definitely know what it means. another name for survival...
Now I want to take a class on bushcraft and who knows I might find someone who I could go camping with and we can test our skills that we would learn..

Oh this is cool, I do watch survival reality shows, but did not put what I have learned to test....

thanks everyone for re-educating me again....