Butch Femme Planet

Butch Femme Planet (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/index.php)
-   The Butch Zone (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   "Stud" versus "Butch" (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5957)

macele 11-03-2012 07:36 PM

forget it. it's saturday night.

QueenofSmirks 11-03-2012 07:39 PM

Seriously? Everyone needs to take a deep breath. The OP even stated that the term is disturbing to her because she has heard it used in stock breeding. For those of you who don't know what that is, it's a term used on farms and ranches and other places on the planet for breeding animals. She did NOT equate animals to butches, so get over it already.

Glenn 11-03-2012 07:43 PM

But..why!?:weedsmoke:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Daywalker (Post 691236)

That's because they are not the same thing.

:weedsmoke:

:daywalker:

The_Lady_Snow 11-03-2012 07:43 PM

Yikes

Quote:

Originally Posted by QueenofSmirks (Post 691273)
Seriously? Everyone needs to take a deep breath. The OP even stated that the term is disturbing to her because she has heard it used in stock breeding. For those of you who don't know what that is, it's a term used on farms and ranches and other places on the planet for breeding animals. She did NOT equate animals to butches, so get over it already.

I think and I am only taking a guess because this tends to happens with this particular convo when it comes to animals referenced and POC cultural terms. Folks get sensitive when the animal/stud/POC reference is all lumped together. I don't think it was the case this time but maybe that's why it's a sore spot for some folk.

Hopefully some of the community members who identify as such can come in and help Girl on Fire:)

Arwen 11-03-2012 07:58 PM

So, interesting topic. I had never heard the word aggressive or stud used to mean butch until I hit the other site and then here. I understand them to be cultural usage (as has been stated).

I was familiar with stud being used for bio males (but not aggressive). As in "Hey stud, how's it hanging?"

Now, if you want to dig into this etymologically, then, yes, stud does have a animal husbandry background.

However, for me, I think that the use of stud as a term for a butch woman comes from the hetero male use of the word and not the farm hand. The same as "bud" or "buddy" or "bro" or "compadre". Capiche`?

Now I do know some butches who are animals (rawr rawr) but I don't know any who wouldn't understand that if I said, "Hey stud" I wasn't seeing them as some massive-donged animal in the paddock, but more as some massively sexy human that I wanted to flirt with.

That having been said, I'd like to pause to remind everyone that our dear friend Mercury is in cranky mode and will go into full on "everyone's stupid" mode on Tuesday.

Which ought to make poll day uber fun. :|

The_Lady_Snow 11-03-2012 08:04 PM

Hisssss

Mercury in Retro BUZZ KILL!!!

How long does it last????

:overreaction:

Martina 11-03-2012 08:09 PM

How much more stupid can the Republicans get? Maybe they'll forget it's Election Day and stay home.

http://www.democraticunderground.com/101772451

girl_dee 11-03-2012 08:11 PM

Girl on Fire

i find this subject matter very interesting and found your approach to asking about it very amicable.

i'm interested to see what others say and i tend to learn lots from these conversations.

Thank you!

BstlMyhart 11-03-2012 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Girl_On_Fire (Post 691237)
I wasn't saying that I saw people who identified as "studs" as animals. I was saying that's the only way I'd ever heard that term used before until very recently. I thought it would start an interesting discussion, which is why I didn't just "Google" it just for my own knowledge.

I meant no offense to anyone.

You really aren't being offensive. Ask anything you like anytime...this IS what we are here for...support.

julieisafemme 11-03-2012 08:24 PM

I agree with Corkey, from what I have learned in the community, that butch and stud or aggressive are not the same thing. Last year there was a huge kerfuffle in the community when Butch Voices decided to add "masculine of center" to their mission statement. Many butches were upset about this. The organizers maintained that the term MoC was more inclusive to communities of color who did not necessarily feel comfortable with the term butch.

I know that my partner came out in the 70s and that in his community people did use the term stud. I don't think it is that new.

Girl on Fire I don't think you meant to be offensive but it is important to understand that the question as worded was offensive to some. My goodness I have said any number of things on forums that have offended people. I take it as a learning experience and I am grateful for every person who did point things out to me!

girl_dee 11-03-2012 08:25 PM

i agree!

we were all new once and not familiar with terms and language. We all had to learn from others since there is no manual (or is there?).

i still stumble and i been around a long damn time.

i will always enjoy conversations that are brought forth from a place of honesty and sincerity, which i found she is. She seems willing to accept that even unintentional words can offend, and we must be careful of that.

i'm looking forward to more on this subject !

Martina 11-03-2012 08:41 PM

Two points

One, it is always good to be careful when asking about ID's. Perhaps more careful than the OP was.

Two, I am thankful we didn't dogpile the OP. I just am.

Gemme 11-03-2012 08:53 PM

Most of my thoughts have pretty much been covered, but to touch on a point Girl_on_Fire referenced in her OP, I have noticed that some of the younger generation of our community is using that term, and not related to the African American cultural connection.

I think it's interesting that the term is being adopted by a group that it may not normally have been associated with but I feel a tiny bit of hesitancy in that the original cultural connection may be lost along the way.

Greyson 11-03-2012 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gemme (Post 691344)
Most of my thoughts have pretty much been covered, but to touch on a point Girl_on_Fire referenced in her OP, I have noticed that some of the younger generation of our community is using that term, and not related to the African American cultural connection.

I think it's interesting that the term is being adopted by a group that it may not normally have been associated with but I feel a tiny bit of hesitancy in that the original cultural connection may be lost along the way.

Can you say A P P R O P R I A T I O N?

Gemme, maybe I should clarify? I am not saying you are appropriating. I do beleive there are instances when appropriation does happen. You get the goodies without the price that has been paid.

Gemme 11-03-2012 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greyson (Post 691362)

Gemme, maybe I should clarify? I am not saying you are appropriating. I do beleive there are instances when appropriation does happen. You get the goodies without the price that has been paid.

Good, because I'm not claiming that term. :)

I can see how someone who does adopt this term might be appropriating.

kittygrrl 11-03-2012 09:44 PM

hmm...i don't think I ever have used this term ..however, i do understand it's used mostly as a way of expressing "buddy" or "hot-sexy-amazing"..but you shouldn't take for granted the person you are addressing will appreciate your greeting/endearment..especially, at this time of year..tip toeing thru the tulips, doesn't mean we shouldn't watch for the unwelcoming cowpie:hk34:

Massive 11-03-2012 09:53 PM

For me personally, stud just isn't a term I'm familiar with or have ever heard being used here in the UK, so thank you to the OP for broaching the subject, I'm enjoying seeing this being discussed, as far as I'm concerned it's better to ask a question than to make assumptions or remain ignorant.

Ginger 11-03-2012 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greyson (Post 691362)

Sometimes, though, "appropriating" is a way of subverting power dynamics in a cultural or social construct. Members of our community appropriate male pronouns. Gays and lesbians appropriate straight marriage rituals. And so on.

Sometimes appropriation is kind of thrilling.

Daktari 11-04-2012 07:08 AM

Appropriation = using a name/label/title/id/term without "paying the price for the goodies"?

If I read this correctly then I suggest anyone under, say 50, possibly 60yrs old, shouldn't 'appropriate' queer, dyke, butch, femme, et alia, because they didn't pay the price alongside our older brothers and sisters fighting for visibility, the right not to have to hide who they/we were/are and a measure of equality way back in the day?

...or maybe I'm just being dense today? :blink:

Back on topic...as with Mass., it's not a term I'm familiar with using in the 'gay' 'community' over here in UK. Sadly, it reminds me of a bio bloke who's a bit too full of himself and reckons he's a shit hot lover. I will be very happy to replace this image with a more positive one.

I look forward to seeing what the name/label/title/id/other means in other places and/or cultures.

Sparkle 11-04-2012 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dakarti [B
Back on topic...as with Mass., it's not a term I'm familiar with using in the 'gay' 'community' over here in UK. Sadly, it reminds me of a bio bloke who's a bit too full of himself and reckons he's a shit hot lover. I will be very happy to replace this image with a more positive one.[/B]

Quote:

Originally Posted by Massive (Post 691412)
For me personally, stud just isn't a term I'm familiar with or have ever heard being used here in the UK, so thank you to the OP for broaching the subject, I'm enjoying seeing this being discussed, as far as I'm concerned it's better to ask a question than to make assumptions or remain ignorant.

Actually 'Stud' is used in the UK, but perhaps not as widely as in the US. In the UK 'Stud' is also an ID that is similar to (but not synonymous with) 'Butch' in that it is used mainly by people who fall masculine of centre on the gender identity spectrum and it is primarily used by people of colour (as far as my experience goes).

This film was featured in the LGBT - BFI London film festival this past year.