Butch Femme Planet

Butch Femme Planet (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/index.php)
-   Thinking Harder (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=134)
-   -   Why do we call the US America? (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=893)

Apocalipstic 02-18-2010 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UofMfan (Post 52639)
In normal every day conversation I mostly call it "The States".

I always have too, but a Brazilian friend busted me on it :)

Melissa 02-18-2010 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by apocalipstic (Post 52641)
My friends in London say "from the US" or "Yanks" or Yankees which outside the US tends to mean all people from the US, not Southerners.

What should Argentines call themselves, or Mexicans, or Canadians, or Chileans? They are all Americans too.

My Grandfather ---> Yanks, damn yanks, bloody yanks.......

femmy1 02-18-2010 05:32 PM

I am from Central America and the only way I ever heard the US referred to was..Los Estados Unidos... and it's residents were called gringos.. I know gringo is not liked or PC but I am just providing a reference.

I have never even thought of this place as anything but America but I can see why this subject could be thought of in all the ways it has been portrayed.

I will think about this because United Stasians just sounds wierd to me !! I like human haha. I like like a citizen of the world. An earthling.. lol !!

f1~

UofMfan 02-18-2010 05:34 PM

Well, I will be sure not to do that when I travel to Brazil later this year :)

Apocalipstic 02-18-2010 05:35 PM

I am not trying to make anyone angry or challenge anyone's identity, but people on our continent HATE us for thinking and saying we are The Americans.

If I say American, I mean from the Americas. :) America the continent as a whole. :)

It is a small thing that we should think about in a good way. In a "how can we be more culturally aware" way.

:)

And if we did everything the English wanted us to, we would still be a colony.

Melissa 02-18-2010 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Semantics (Post 52638)
What do the people of England call us if not American?

Citizens of the United States of America?

If not Americans, what should we call ourselves?

The people of England call you lots of things lol. But all I heard was America, Americans, Yanks. To us you are just dear old Americans. This brit apologizes for offending the citizens who reside in other parts of the continent of America and not in the particular part also known as The United States. Although if Texas secedes what do we call you all then. The United (Minus Texas) States. I love Texas by the way. It is is own little country. I think I was a Texan in a former life. :)

Mel

Apocalipstic 02-18-2010 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by femmy1 (Post 52644)
I am from Central America and the only way I ever heard the US referred to was..Los Estados Unidos... and it's residents were called gringos.. I know gringo is not liked or PC but I am just providing a reference.

I have never even thought of this place as anything but America but I can see why this subject could be thought of in all the ways it has been portrayed.

I will think about this because United Stasians just sounds wierd to me !! I like human haha. I like like a citizen of the world. An earthling.. lol !!

f1~

I have heard Gringos too. Thank you.

Unites Statesians is awkward I agree. I like human too! :) We are all ONE.

Semantics 02-18-2010 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by apocalipstic (Post 52641)
My friends in London say "from the US" or "Yanks" or Yankees which outside the US tends to mean all people from the US, not Southerners.

What should Argentines call themselves, or Mexicans, or Canadians, or Chileans? They are all Americans too.

I wasn't disagreeing.

I was just curious as to what her friends did call people from the US.

Mine always use "Yank"- but they also always use that tone and I'd really prefer to be called something else. :lol2:

Selenay 02-18-2010 05:39 PM

I think Semantics asked a really important question:

Apocalipstic 02-18-2010 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Melissa (Post 52647)
The people of England call you lots of things lol. But all I heard was America, Americans, Yanks. To us you are just dear old Americans. This brit apologizes for offending the citizens who reside in other parts of the continent of America and not in the particular part also known as The United States. Although if Texas secedes what do we call you all then. The United (Minus Texas) States. I love Texas by the way. It is is own little country. I think I was a Texan in a former life. :)

Mel

What a lovely answer! Thank you!

I usually say Brits, or from the UK, or English, Scottish and so forth for you. :)

Apocalipstic 02-18-2010 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Selenay (Post 52650)

I say I live in the US or say I am a US citizen.

femmy1 02-18-2010 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Selenay (Post 52650)

Maybe we should call ourselves the USA-icans ...or USA-ers... or USA-ites.. I could go on and on heheh

f1~

Selenay 02-18-2010 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by apocalipstic (Post 52652)
I say I live in the US or say I am a US citizen.

Yes, but that's a mouthful.

How would you make that akin to what other nations have (e.g.: I'm Canadian. I'm British. I'm Cuban. I'm Russian. I'm Swedish. I'm Australian. I'm Nordic.)? I'm Statesish? Statian?

UofMfan 02-18-2010 05:53 PM

Since the arrogance and ignorance started way before our time:

"The former British colonies first used the country's modern name in the Declaration of Independence, the "unanimous Declaration of the thirteen united States of America" " ~ Wikepedia

You can call yourselves anything you want. Most of us who have traveled and have been exposed to other cultures will call you "Estadunidenses", or Gringos when you piss us off.

Toughy 02-18-2010 06:08 PM

it is Olympic Games time..............and the chant that is always heard at the Olympics and any other international sporting event is U S A .

I try to never ever never say American(s) when referring to citizens of the United States of America. I'm sure somewhere on the net I will have said Americans. My default language is the 'US' or 'folks from the US'.

When I was an expat, I always said I was from the 'US' or 'the States'. For those that don't know, I lived in New Zealand for a year back in 2002-2003.

Random 02-18-2010 07:19 PM

I say..

American from the US...

For me.. American doesn't belong just to the USA..

But lingustily.. USAian.. just doesn't flow off the tongue..

HeartBreak Kid 02-18-2010 08:03 PM

So here is *MY answer.................... the "logical" reason to *me is.......

The United States is refered to as "America" becuase it is a singular country....It is my experience when talking to those from South America, Or Central America "they" have Identified themselves by their Country of Origin...then as a point of Geographical reference will say Central, or South....

However, if I am asked where Im from in an international forum I say the US....but I have also been known to refer to MYSELF* as an American......on a side note I Identify as a NEW YORKER.....and thats a WHOLE 'nother thread......
:cheer:

Enchantress 02-18-2010 08:21 PM

The Americas

Our fore fathers coined the term "Americans" in our Declaration of Independence. Hence, we (Northern Americans) identify with this term. Obviously, we are not the only Americans. There is South American and Central American as well.

To say that citizens of the United States are egotistical or entitled because they call themselves Americans, is, I believe, incorrect. Instead we are proud, we are compassionate and we are (I like to think) welcoming.

I am North American. Let's say you're Columbian (or Brazilian just for fun), then, obviously, you (used universally of course) would be South American. ; )

I don't believe that there is going to be any sort of major movement any time soon to change the use of this term, and really, why should there be? What is really important is that everyone realize that there are others who are of the Americas as well and have the right to identify as such (obviously sans the US Citizen part).

Enchantress 02-18-2010 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UofMfan (Post 52657)
Most of us who have traveled and have been exposed to other cultures will call you "Estadunidenses", or Gringos when you piss us off.

Tsk, tsk, tsk. ; )

UofMfan 02-18-2010 08:40 PM

Ms. Enchantress, I personally don't know any Columbians....but I have heard they are easily mistaken for Brazilians : )

I don't believe there is going to be a movement or any kind. I mean, we are dealing with the same arrogance and entitlement of those who ran American Indians from their own land, so why expect any changes?

Edited to say that I do know some Colombians though.