Butch Femme Planet

Butch Femme Planet (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hobbies, Crafts, Interests (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Winter Olympics 2010 (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=515)

hpychick 02-08-2010 12:53 PM

I love the winter olympics. I just wish it didn't have to be so cold when they have them! :snowysmiley:

Diva 02-12-2010 06:59 PM

I'm sad about the Georgian luger who slammed into a steel pole, dying a short time later.

The Opening Ceremonies are about to begin!!!! :D

Daywalker 02-12-2010 07:17 PM

We are headed over to some lovely folks' home to watch the opening ceremonies.
:batman:

People are bringing dishes of food to represent many Nations.
:olympics:

I'm gonna bring an American herb.

:cannabis:

:daywalker:

Gemme 02-12-2010 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diva (Post 48876)
I'm sad about the Georgian luger who slammed into a steel pole, dying a short time later.

The Opening Ceremonies are about to begin!!!! :D

I know! They said he was going about 90 mph before he hit. How devastating for his family, his team, the sport and the Olympics.

I wonder if there is a curse beginning because at the last Olympics, a civilian was killed, although it was not by an athlete. Methinks I'm a bit paranoid today. :|

Rook 02-12-2010 08:46 PM

lovin the olympics opening so far.....kinda tragic..yet beautiful...

cant believe they actually showed the way he died...
I cringed with every replay ...

But the First Nations intro. , breathtaking...

Curley 02-12-2010 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rook (Post 48944)
lovin the olympics opening so far.....kinda tragic..yet beautiful...

cant believe they actually showed the way he died...
I cringed with every replay ...

But the First Nations intro. , breathtaking...

I agree the first nations intro was awesome...
I am proud to be a lesbian Canadian....it's not perfect but its a good start, see
http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/spo.../82618992.html
pretty cool eh?

Diva 02-12-2010 09:34 PM

OH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THE WHALES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IrishGrrl 02-12-2010 09:43 PM

BREATHTAKING!!! Wow, what I wouldnt give to be there in person!!!

amiyesiam 02-12-2010 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diva (Post 48974)
OH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THE WHALES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

all of it

OMG!!!!!!!!

Gemme 02-12-2010 09:49 PM

Whoever wrote that intro owes me some tissue. That's all I have to say.

Andrew, Jr. 02-12-2010 10:14 PM

It was very creative. I loved the skiers, snowboarders coming down the mountain but are really just being held by wires, and such and the mountain has a video of different sports. Wayyy cool. :mountie:

The man who recited his poem about Canada...awesome!

I feel for the luger who was killed. I am surprised that the accident was shown in full. I cannot imagine being his mother, father, sibling, relative, or friend and seeing that in full. Horrible. Some things just should not be shown out of common curtesy. But that is just me.

:olympics:

Toughy 02-13-2010 01:31 AM

I hate NBC..............hate them..........

Opening Ceremonies start at 730p my ass............I had to put up with an hour and a half of bullshit human interest blah blah blah before we got to see a taped version of the Opening Ceremonies. We are in the same time zone..........

I wish we could just get the events without all the commentary and stupid stories.........

I actually liked this Opening better than the Bejing opening............and guess what............as I am typing the taped version is still going on only now it's just the Olympic officials going blah blah blah........it's 1130p and the athletes and officials are really already in bed............

cara 02-13-2010 02:12 AM

Why did they delay it for viewing on NBC for 3 hours? I'm in the same time zone for goodness sake! I also agree about too much commentary. Just let us watch it, NBC.

Aside from the mechanical malfunction, I thought the entire ceremony was amazing. I wanna go play with lights now! :D

:stillheart:

cara

WILDCAT 02-13-2010 03:27 AM

Yes, I thought it was at 7:30PM my time Toughy. The way they announced it fooled me!

*Oh well, LET THE GAMES BEGIN!!!!!!!:thumbsup:

Thanks Diva for this thread! I'm very happy there is one. (YOU... are a sports fan...? :cheesy: )

:thud:

(*Teasing... kind of.)

Linus 02-13-2010 07:12 AM

Well, if you don't like NBC, you could watch Canada's feed from CTV: http://www.ctvolympics.ca/tv-online-listings/index.html

I was trying to see if the CBC had a feed but can't find it. IMO, it sucks that CTV has it as they don't plan for the audience level online but perhaps that's just me.

Soon 02-13-2010 09:34 AM

cool clip about how each of the medals are an original design and a women's organization that was commissioned to design the victory bouquets
:bouquet:

Leigh 02-13-2010 09:38 AM

I love being Canadian, and I'm very proud of what a good job we did on the opening ceremonies last night :thumbsup:

Linus 02-13-2010 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Braedon (Post 49126)
I love being Canadian, and I'm very proud of what a good job we did on the opening ceremonies last night :thumbsup:

I missed the ceremonies last night and noticed on CBC's website that the national anthem was done differently. A lot of comments suggested it was "awful". Was it that bad?

Leigh 02-13-2010 09:41 AM

I wouldnt say it was bad, though I guess everyone has their own opinion of how it was done ............. I had no complaints about how the anthem was sung :)

Linus 02-13-2010 09:46 AM

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrCA0HK-yO0"]YouTube- Vancouver Olympics 2010 (I Believe - Nikki Yanofsky)[/ame]

Soon 02-13-2010 09:58 AM

I'm Pissed

Why exclude women from Olympic ski jump?

Female Ski Jumpers Frozen Out of Olympics

(real answer? [imo] an American woman--Lindsay Van--has beat the men's record--on the same Whistler, BC ski jump that the men will be competing on in this Olympics--and that the women are being excluded from!)

Second Video:

Watch the paternalism and sexism of this male Canadian member (over 20 years) of the IOC who comments that if the women keep this up (their fight to be included in this sport), they just may have to wait even longer! Bad girls!

He also states that the Olympics don't include squash and rollerskating and those people are disappointed too! (umm...but those events don't exist for either gender!)

Oh, and the [Swiss] President of the International Ski Federation who thinks that jumping down so far and so frequently just doesn't seem "appropriate for ladies from a medical point of view" !!! (yep, the ol' uterus may fall out argument!)

p.s. There are 17 female members out of 108 on the IOC!

Toughy 02-13-2010 11:16 AM

Was it my imagination or did they just not want to show a close-up of KD Lang singing.............she was in a men's suit with an open collared shirt..............I think there were maybe a total of 5 seconds of close ups of her singing.....it was all crowd shots..........

oh yeah...............Linus.........I watched CBC for the last O games........thanks for the CTV link............I will be using it......

Soon 02-13-2010 11:30 AM

So, a female Australian snowboarder brings in the flag for her country's team. Matt Lauer comments (paraphrase): "She'll be getting married this year...blah blah"

I don't know if anyone noticed last summer's Olympics, that with SO many female athletes, the commentators would mention something about their marital and/or motherhood status.

---

Toughy,
I'll have to look again about the KD footage. I was just so happy to hear her sing that beautiful Cohen song (in her spiffy suit!), that I didn't notice the camera shots.
Interesting.

Soon 02-13-2010 12:10 PM

Winter Olympic medals made from recycled e-waste

Rockinonahigh 02-13-2010 12:20 PM

On K.D.Lang

U r right they barely had anything like a close up shot of her,if it hadnt been for the voice I herd I prolly wouldnt have known who it was till they got a better pic of the singer.Her voice is still fantastic...
Rockin

BestButchBoy 02-13-2010 01:54 PM

Lindsey Vonn.

Need I say more?

Just_G 02-13-2010 02:13 PM

I thoroughly enjoyed the whole program last night. The effects on the "canvas", as they called it, were absolutely amazing. I am with Diva, the whales were awesome!

I don't really care if they shoed KD up close or not, I just thought it was cool as shit she was even singing there.

I love all the stories that go with the olympics, the background and history, and what it all means, is one of my favorite things.

I didn't really care about the "live" thing, as I DVRed it so I could start it from the beginning when my friends all got to my house and we got the pizza ordered. We fast forwarded through a majority of the commercials, and could rewind it if we wanted to catch a name or see something that one of us missed. (We did watch the "We are the world" video twice. :aslIloveyou:)

I had a blast watching it with my friends....it was a great night for us.

Diva 02-13-2010 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Linus (Post 20872)
Uh.. Not US Hockey. Canada will kick yer butts, especially the Women's Hockey. :cheesy: :canadian: :canada:

<giggling> Oh I don't doubt it for a minute.....

:hockey::canada:

Tommi 02-13-2010 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rockinonahigh (Post 49193)
On K.D.Lang

U r right they barely had anything like a close up shot of her,if it hadnt been for the voice I herd I prolly wouldnt have known who it was till they got a better pic of the singer.Her voice is still fantastic...
Rockin

Fantastic voice. A brand new K D Lang collection is just out.Looking forward to getting it soon.

The Opening Ceremonies was wonderful.. The Totem poles to the roof, the whales and the snow globe were stunning...LOVED IT.

What time does Apollo skate> anyone know?

Galahad 02-13-2010 04:23 PM

The opening and effects were really neat. What I loved was seeing kd lang in a suit on natl/world tv. There was no mistaking there was a masculine looking female in a masculine suit up there singing. I've watched it about 3 times now and can't fault the cameras. They showed the beautiful spectacle of lights and still showed off kd. I was really excited to see it. I don't watch much more than the highlights of the events after this.

Rockinonahigh 02-13-2010 04:30 PM

Tommi..tks for the heads up non the new KDl collection,I will be looking for it.I have about all the records she has put out,one has her autograph on it..pricelessRecently a friend of mine who deals in collectables tryed to buy the whole she bang..the money was really good but my collection of records wich started in the 50's isnt for sale.
Rockin

Nina 02-13-2010 06:04 PM

the 'normal' hill

it speaks volumes for the skill of the olympians as well as the (almost) inhumanly high expectations of what they can do that a 'hill' of over 100 feet (that's the right number I think) is called the "Normal Hill"...and what do they do on this 'normal hill' ?.. they J-u-m-p off it and they fly though the air and land without a hitch...it's amazing...

yes, I know you all know all that already...it just seemed worth being redundant about...

n

Linus 02-13-2010 07:35 PM

GO, Canada, GO!!

http://www.cbc.ca/gfx/images/news/ph...jersy-full.jpg

Not the end of the 1st and Women's Team Canada leading 7-0!

Hack 02-13-2010 09:06 PM

This may not be totally PC right now...

But I so want to luge.

There's a track a couple of hours from where I live. If I didn't have as bad of a back as I do, I would be trying it. I had a bit of a daredevil streak as a young person. I guess it never went away.

Jake

Linus 02-14-2010 10:36 AM

BTW for those that want to re-see the opening ceremonies can do so here. You will need your cable account info and an email address to use.

Corkey 02-14-2010 08:54 PM

Yeaaaaaaa Canada finally won a gold medal!!!!!!:goodscore::mountie::downhillski::

Peach 02-15-2010 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toughy (Post 49143)
Was it my imagination or did they just not want to show a close-up of KD Lang singing.............she was in a men's suit with an open collared shirt..............I think there were maybe a total of 5 seconds of close ups of her singing.....it was all crowd shots..........

oh yeah...............Linus.........I watched CBC for the last O games........thanks for the CTV link............I will be using it......

You all were robbed by NBC. Here in Canada, full version, close up, VERY close up shots of kd, it was amazing. It was on Youtube for a short time, but pulled to to copywrite infringement, at least that was their excuse. CTV or CBC will have really good coverage of stuff, and here, our cable company has video on demand with a special section just for Oympic stuff, maybe yours does too?
:mountie:

Linus 02-15-2010 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by guest (Post 50110)
You all were robbed by NBC. Here in Canada, full version, close up, VERY close up shots of kd, it was amazing. It was on Youtube for a short time, but pulled to to copywrite infringement, at least that was their excuse. CTV or CBC will have really good coverage of stuff, and here, our cable company has video on demand with a special section just for Oympic stuff, maybe yours does too?
:mountie:

Unfortunately, not that I've seen and if it does exist, it's by NBC (they got the American rights compared to CTV getting the Canadian -- I still think CBC should have had it). Which means it will still suck as far as their ability to cover it.

As a Canadian, (I can't believe I'm saying this) I miss the CBC. I really wish I could get it (like BBC America) as a specialty channel even. I know I can get it podcast but it's just not the same, eh?

Hack 02-15-2010 09:21 AM

Is it me, or are most of the female members of the US Ski team hot, if not crazy cute? And that snowboarder with the long blonde curly hair? OMG...she's hot.

And just an observation on Canadian TV vs. what Americans get. Back in the 1990s, I lived in a city that had CBC and CTV on the cable system. The coverage of the Olympics, and, strangely, American politics, was way better. I grew up watching Canadian TV (pre-cable, 90 minutes from a northern border). We got 2 Canadian stations and 3 US stations on our TV -- this was before cable TV existed.

There must have been some issue between US cable TV systems and the Canadian government about 10 years ago because that's when the Canadian stations started to disappear from US cable TV systems, at least here in Michigan. You can get a couple of good Canadian series on DVD to watch -- DaVinci's Inquest (sort of a pre-cursor to our CSI shows) and the Newsroom (which is a pre-cursor to The Office) and Kids in the Hall (sketch comedy). There's a few others. One show I really miss that you can't seem to find on DVD anywhere is This Hour Has 22 Minutes. That show is great fun.

Jake...who has a slight Canadian inflection, probably from all the Canadian TV he watched as a kid

ButchBowWow 02-17-2010 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toughy (Post 49143)

I thought it was my imagination! That was actually the only part of the opening that I had an issue with. I screamed 'what the fuck' at the tv several times while she was performing.