Butch Femme Planet

Butch Femme Planet (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hobbies, Crafts, Interests (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Household hints and cleaning recipes! (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4665)

girl_dee 02-26-2012 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by justkim (Post 536158)
I can't handle the smell of Vanilla... it makes me want to vomit... Shot, dee, I believe you have seen my perfume collection I am all about how stuff smells. I recently was introduced to a new scent by Scentsy Weathered leather... I may have swooned... just a little... some of their other scents are to die for...

i did hear that the Scentsy leather stuff was awesome.

i just can't handle scents, i don't like them, the older i get the more sensitive i am to it.

i just want things to look and BE clean, and hopefully the smell won't be overbearing.

Electrocell 02-27-2012 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cajun_dee (Post 536087)
Uses for used coffee grounds?

If I remember right you can use them around your rose bushes.

girl_dee 02-27-2012 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Electrocell (Post 536886)
If I remember right you can use them around your rose bushes.

that'll work in the summer!

PaPa 02-27-2012 03:07 PM

Coffee grounds are also good if planted around carrots. It helps work as a repellent and at the same time makes it easier to weed and tug them out at harvest time.

Oh and works as a cat repellent. My mother uses them in the flowerbeds to keep the cats from doing their business in there.

LaneyDoll 02-27-2012 03:09 PM

And, coffee grounds are sooooo much better for the environment. Plus, if you do have pets/kids, they are non-toxic.

:sparklyheart:

girl_dee 02-27-2012 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaPa (Post 537109)
Coffee grounds are also good if planted around carrots. It helps work as a repellent and at the same time makes it easier to weed and tug them out at harvest time.

Oh and works as a cat repellent. My mother uses them in the flowerbeds to keep the cats from doing their business in there.

i had no idea about the cat thing....

doesn't the grounds draw bugs though? No?

PaPa 02-27-2012 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cajun_dee (Post 537119)
i had no idea about the cat thing....

doesn't the grounds draw bugs though? No?

Actually Dee, it will work as a repellent rather than an attractant.

http://lifehacker.com/271962/feed-yo...coffee-grounds

girl_dee 02-27-2012 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaPa (Post 537126)
Actually Dee, it will work as a repellent rather than an attractant.

http://lifehacker.com/271962/feed-yo...coffee-grounds

sounds good!

Mr Nice Guy 02-27-2012 04:58 PM

If you have ants this is what you do sprinkle cinnamon where you see them sweep into cracks and when ant season is over just sweep and wash. Only use cinnamon without the sugar. It works!!

girl_dee 03-06-2012 09:06 AM

ok i am liking the vinegar in the wash, the detergent dispense is all shiny

justkim 03-06-2012 09:12 AM

I will have to try using the vinegar in the washer trick... I am very thankful that I have a washer and dryer in my place, most don't... I do however have to head down to the laundry mat to wash my comforter... that should be interesting...

girl_dee 03-07-2012 06:35 AM

that is one thing that i do NOT miss is hauling the dirty laundry around

the vinegar is a wonderful trick

the doggie blankets sometimes aren't as clean as i like even after a wash but with the vinegar they seems way better

you know we have a pack of 7 so there is lots of doggie laundry lol

Truly Scrumptious 03-09-2012 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cajun_dee (Post 536087)
Uses for used coffee grounds?

Yes!

For brunettes only: add 1/4 cup of used coffee grounds to about 3 cups of hot water, and let it sit until completely cool. Then strain it till all grounds are removed. Pour the liquid over your hair after washed and conditioned, and rinse after a couple of minutes. (I pour it into an empty shampoo bottle, and keep it in the shower.) It brings out lowlights, dissolves product buildup and leaves your hair super shiny and bouncy. (Plus if you use flavoured coffee, your hair will smell exceptionally delicious. I usually do this with crème brulée flavoured coffee, but sometimes with coconut.) Works on coloured hair too, as long as it's brown.

girl_dee 03-09-2012 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Truly Scrumptious (Post 543814)
Yes!

For brunettes only: add 1/4 cup of used coffee grounds to about 3 cups of hot water, and let it sit until completely cool. Then strain it till all grounds are removed. Pour the liquid over your hair after washed and conditioned, and rinse after a couple of minutes. (I pour it into an empty shampoo bottle, and keep it in the shower.) It brings out lowlights, dissolves product buildup and leaves your hair super shiny and bouncy. (Plus if you use flavoured coffee, your hair will smell exceptionally delicious. I usually do this with crème brulée flavoured coffee, but sometimes with coconut.) Works on coloured hair too, as long as it's brown.

REALLY????????????

Truly Scrumptious 03-09-2012 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cajun_dee (Post 543826)
REALLY????????????

Yes, really!
One thing I forgot to mention is that you want to use a lot of it . . this recipe makes enough for 2 or 3 uses, depending on the length of your hair. Pour it over your hair and keep pouring, you really want to drench your hair with it.

girl_dee 05-09-2012 07:05 PM

has anyone ever tried aluminum foil in the dryer rather than dryer sheets?

i hear it works for static without the dryer sheet crap

Sachita 05-09-2012 07:43 PM

I use essential oils a lot to clean, repel pest, all kinds of things.

When deep cleaning I fill a bucket of warm water, add little mint oil & lavender. I clean all kinds of things- the counters, walls and floors. I also use a steamer. The scent of peppermint bugs and mice hate it. I sometimes put some in a spray bottle, hot water and spray along base boards, under counters and even in my barn. This year I'm planting all kinds of mint in the ground all around the barn. I hate rats.

I've recently received several large Himalayan Salt Lamps. Once is 25 pounds, the other smaller and in my bedroom. I am amazed how well it cleans the air and the energy it emits. Very calming and tranquil. I wish I had some this sooner.

I don't like to use chemicals on the floors. I don't want to inhale it nor so I want all the dogs stepping on it. We use plant based products to clean dog areas. You can also get a big big jar, put lots of orange peels, add white vinegar ( I also add mint) let it sit for a few days. It makes a very strong cleaner you can use directly for problems or add to mop water for a wonderful safe floor cleaner.

girl_dee 05-09-2012 08:01 PM

my favorite oil to add to mop water is Sweet Birch

JustJo 05-09-2012 08:19 PM

I love steam for cleaning. I use a steam mop with plain water on the floors since I have dogs and cats to think about. In bathrooms, around trash cans and on any spots.....I just let it sit and steam for a minute or two without moving it. Works like a charm.

To clean a dirty microwave, I put a cup of plain water in and turn it on for about 3 minutes....long enough for it to boil and steam for awhile. Everything will just wipe right out easily. If there are food odors in the microwave, add a splash of vinegar to the water.

:rrose:

Gemme 05-12-2012 11:16 PM

Speaking of microwaves, if your kitchen sponge is getting smelly but is still in good condition, wet it and put it in the microwave for around 90 seconds. It will kill the bacteria so you can continue to use the sponge.