Butch Femme Planet

Butch Femme Planet (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/index.php)
-   Body Beauty, Lifestyles (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=124)
-   -   What do you like on your salad? (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1968)

cinnamongrrl 12-02-2013 08:58 PM

Mmmmm salad :)

For the base: Leafy greens: mesclun mix/spring greens...spinach! Anything but iceberg...no nutrients....at all

Added in: everything and anything that won't run away...I especially love:
Fresh peas, fresh mushrooms, garbanzo beans, sunflower seeds, hot peppers, FRESH GOOD olives, particularly the ones with the pit in them (*kalamata mmm),
I love any veggie except broccoli...the little thingies get stuck in my throat (or I IMAGINE they will)

And on top: I'm partial to home made type pumpernickel croutons (like Ruby Tuesday has) and a light, subtle but tasty dressing...I like Newman's Own dressings...there's one with ginger that will make your mouth sing. And I love a nice herby (dilly) cucumber dressing...like tzatziki...embellished...or sun dried tomato dressing...there's also an Italian dressing at Whole Foods (their brand) that I find to be divinity...I marinate just cukes and tomatoes in it and have it for a snack/lunch/dinner

Medusa 01-15-2015 07:58 AM

My newly-discovered favorite salad topping: Green peas!

Daniela 01-15-2015 08:01 AM

Green peas are delicious!

Also goat cheese, baby corn, candied walnuts, tomatoes and for the salad itself – boston lettuce.

clay 01-15-2015 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Medusa (Post 963211)
My newly-discovered favorite salad topping: Green peas!

Medusa.....I love to put red kidney beans,black beans, garbanzos, black eyed peas, green peas , and edamame on my salads. Have you tried any of those....all are great source of fiber and some protein, too! I have always loved green peas!

MsTinkerbelly 01-15-2015 10:03 AM

I buy spring mix and add:

Cucumber
Radishes
Shredded cheddar or parm (whichever i have)
Crimini mushrooms (baby portabellos)
Sometimes garbonzo beans, although better with iceberg lettuce
Fresh dressing with evoo and whatever catches my fancy

stargazingboi 01-15-2015 10:17 AM

depends on the day. Most often I don't have dressing on my salads. For me I enjoy the flavor of the veggies as the stand on their own.

I like most types of salads. Sometimes I'll do a mixed greens with fruit and nuts or seeds with a little bit of feta and other times I enjoy having a variety of veggies and shredded colby cheese on the salad....it all depends on whats available in the house. I do prefer a spinach mix of greens more than a iceberg lettuce mix. Every once in a while I even throw on some beans (kidney, black bean, pinto).

I don't have a preference I guess...I merely go by what I have and what mood strikes me.

bright_arrow 02-24-2015 01:56 AM

Currently we are doing an iceburg/romaine mix ($1 difference between and we eat a lot daily) but we are going to start incorporating baby spinach as well.

Carrots, sunflower seeds, hard boiled eggs, corn and tortilla strips. Sometimes edamame, but I normally keep that around to snack on it. Topped with ranch, the occasional balsamic if I find a good one that I like.

kittygrrl 02-24-2015 05:42 AM

homemade..Thousand Island, Chinese Sesame Dressing or Vinaigrettes mostly..

clay 02-24-2015 09:02 AM

Star, I agree. Plain salad mixes bore me. Have you seen the super food mix of salad? It has kale, spinach. Shaved brussels sprouts, shaved cabbage in it plus a packet of almond slivers, dried cranberries., and walnuts in it. It is really good, lots of crunch in it also. I like the spicy asian mix and alter it with super foods one!

randrum 02-24-2015 09:06 AM

There is a restaurant near me that makes my favorite salad. It's called the Magna Fry Steak Salad.

It's mixed greens, hard boiled eggs, bacon, and shredded cheddar. Then it's topped with skirt steak and a pile of french fries. Served with ranch dressing.

Best salad ever.

Runner 02-24-2015 10:02 AM

Toasted pine nuts and Danish Blue - nom!

Gemme 02-24-2015 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by randrum (Post 973890)
There is a restaurant near me that makes my favorite salad. It's called the Magna Fry Steak Salad.

It's mixed greens, hard boiled eggs, bacon, and shredded cheddar. Then it's topped with skirt steak and a pile of french fries. Served with ranch dressing.

Best salad ever.

No.

Just no.

If it has fries on it, it's not a salad. It's steak and fries with some fancy lettuce. lol

Liam 02-24-2015 11:33 AM

I like power greens for my base, and then I top it with a salad that we make at work, that has kale, red peppers, red cabbage, almonds, arame, carrots, and sesame seeds in it, then I cut up an avocado, and top it with strips of grilled chicken. I use an Asian sesame dressing and finish it off with more sesame seeds, because there is a lot of goodness in those tiny seeds.

randrum 02-24-2015 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gemme (Post 973929)
No.

Just no.

If it has fries on it, it's not a salad. It's steak and fries with some fancy lettuce. lol

But it's listed as a salad on the menu.

No joke. lol.

Honestly, Gemme, I was waiting for someone to say basically what you did.

Amulette 02-24-2015 01:14 PM

Yeah for salads!

A fan of power greens here as well. Love the baby greens mix of kale, spinach and chard. They are wonderful in smoothies as well. As far as toppings I love;

a shrimp salad with beets and ranch dressing
avocado, avocado, avocado
pepperoni makes a great salad topping cut in strips with cheese
antipasto
baby bell peppers
jicama
nuts
berries
feta
artichoke hearts
any type of seasoned meat

a favorite dressing is my home made tahini dressing~

Daniela 02-24-2015 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gemme (Post 973929)
No.

Just no.

Haha! Ok, what about this one? There's a pizza place in Atlanta with a "salad" that has pizza as its base layer... :cheesy:

randrum 02-24-2015 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daniela (Post 973953)
Haha! Ok, what about this one? There's a pizza place in Atlanta with a "salad" that has pizza as its base layer... :cheesy:

Like one of those BLT pizzas, right? Where it is a cheese pizza topped with bacon, lettuce, and tomato?

Now we're talking my kind of salads. ;)

In all seriousness, I like a good Caesar salad. Best one I've had recently was at Seasons 52. Romaine lettuce and baby kale with shaved Parmesan cheese and toasted garlic ciabatta croutons.

Daniela 02-24-2015 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by randrum (Post 973959)
Like one of those BLT pizzas, right? Where it is a cheese pizza topped with bacon, lettuce, and tomato?

Now we're talking my kind of salads. ;)

In all seriousness, I like a good Caesar salad. Best one I've had recently was at Seasons 52. Romaine lettuce and baby kale with shaved Parmesan cheese and toasted garlic ciabatta croutons.

:) Well, this salad was also listed under the Salad portion of the menu. I ordered it and discovered it was a personal pizza with lettuce on top. I'm pretty sure my body wasn't tricked into absorbing less calories, either. :rolleyes:

I love Caesar salads without the anchovies. I'm doing it wrong again, aren't I? :D LOL

Daktari 02-24-2015 02:27 PM

On salad? Greek olive oil and lemon juice, lashings of black pepper. Less is more!

Gemme 02-24-2015 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by randrum (Post 973951)
But it's listed as a salad on the menu.

No joke. lol.

Honestly, Gemme, I was waiting for someone to say basically what you did.

Yeah, I'm THAT person.

:cheesy:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daniela (Post 973953)

Restaurants will do anything for revenue and capitalizing on the health craze by adding a few eye catching words here or there.

I ordered a salad once that had, and I shit you not, 2 full leaves of romaine and a half a handful of mixed greens and about 2 lbs of meat and general crap.

It sounded good on the menu, though.

:blink: