Butch Femme Planet

Butch Femme Planet (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/index.php)
-   Building Community On Butchfemmeplanet.com (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=129)
-   -   7 Rules for Building Safer/Saner Online Communities (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3098)

Martina 04-19-2011 05:06 PM

There's something about informal kinds of sanctions like the ones you are talking about that make me nervous. They are as old as humanity, but i don't know. Maybe they are guaranteed to be more fair in face-to-face encounters.

i, for one, have not told anyone on this site about my experience except my closest real time friend who comes here. The person who did these things to me did tell at least one other person because that person asked me about it. So i don't know. i was willing to talk to the police about it, but i wouldn't pm the admins here. Something about it feels strange.

i will be so glad when i my feelings about this are done. Soon, i suppose. It's been nearly six months.

Peach 04-19-2011 05:11 PM

I dont think there is a single one of us who doesnt have some horror story from online weirdos, I know I do! Way back from the day sof IRC chat, up to the threats from being a former moderator, it has all served to make me VERY cautious in online "friendships" I dont even friend someone on Crackbook, unless I have met them in real life. I didnt go to bashes, because of the threats I received in the past, finally got past that, but I am still not good at putting myself "out there" for all to see!

Daywalker 04-19-2011 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peach (Post 323363)
I dont think there is a single one of us who doesnt have some horror story from online weirdos, I know I do! Way back from the day sof IRC chat, up to the threats from being a former moderator, it has all served to make me VERY cautious in online "friendships" I dont even friend someone on Crackbook, unless I have met them in real life. I didnt go to bashes, because of the threats I received in the past, finally got past that, but I am still not good at putting myself "out there" for all to see!

I seen you.
:curtain:

And I think you were pretty groovy.
:koolaid:

So there.

:weedsmoke:

:daywalker:

Peach 04-19-2011 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daywalker (Post 323368)
I seen you.
:curtain:

And I think you were pretty groovy.
:koolaid:

So there.

:weedsmoke:

I seen you too! We were probably the grooviest ones in the room! :koolaid:

Gemme 04-19-2011 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peach (Post 323363)

I think this is so sad. For people to get so worked up over something they post, for cryin' out loud, that they take it out on the mods when they are reprimanded or warned is ridonculous.

This is a good example of why I don't like people. :blink:

Peach 04-19-2011 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gemme (Post 323379)
I think this is so sad. For people to get so worked up over something they post, for cryin' out loud, that they take it out on the mods when they are reprimanded or warned is ridonculous.

This is a good example of why I don't like people. :blink:

I agree, but there is noone else TO take it out on, the mods are the ones doing the warning, banning etc.....and most often they refuse to take responsibility for their own ass-hatted-ness. Quite a few would, but they were the rare ones!
I was told more than a few times, not to show my face anywhere public, that I stood a good chance of having it removed! :blink:

Gemme 04-19-2011 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peach (Post 323381)
I agree, but there is noone else TO take it out on, the mods are the ones doing the warning, banning etc.....and most often they refuse to take responsibility for their own ass-hatted-ness. Quite a few would, but they were the rare ones!
I was told more than a few times, not to show my face anywhere public, that I stood a good chance of having it removed! :blink:

I'm such a pain the ass, I'd show up just to see if they would try something.

:police:

violaine 04-19-2011 05:47 PM

i just accidently repped peach on "ridonculous."

sorry, gemme.

:superfunny::lol2::giggle:

Gemme 04-19-2011 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by violaine (Post 323390)
i just accidently repped peach on "ridonculous."

sorry, gemme.

:superfunny::lol2::giggle:

Share the rep love.

:gimmehug:

:giggle:

AtLast 04-19-2011 05:54 PM

Quote:

Peach, this is horrible! However, I do know people that actually have been physically assaulted here by other members. Although, it happened before the Planet existed.

Again, this happens everywhere, but, it is hard to take in because The B-F community (and all of its diversity) goes through so much in our everyday lives. Then there is the between the lines nonsense that can on in posts when people have falling outs. Middle and HS mentality just goes on- nothing can stop it. Best to ignore it- and sometimes using the Ignore feature is the way to go. Why even read the garbage.

Daywalker 04-19-2011 06:02 PM

Quote:

This is a perfect example of the dangerous types Online.
:dots:
Don't think I'll have to deal with that as a Mod over there,
you know...since everyone is over here now
:huhlaugh:

I am glad you didn't let that keep you n yours from Dallas.
We would have never met you, and you are indeed a Peach in person.

:rrose:

AtLast 04-19-2011 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gemme (Post 323383)
I'm such a pain the ass, I'd show up just to see if they would try something.

:police:

Oh, Gemme- sometimes you way crack me up!

Peach 04-19-2011 06:32 PM

Anyway, I appreciate all measures taken to assure the safety and integrity of the site. Too bad some have to try to ruin things for others.

Andrea 04-19-2011 06:57 PM

You all make me happy I am just this side of anti-social and don't get into these situations or even know they are happening.

I am sorry to hear how many hurtful people there are out there.

Andrea

DapperButch 04-19-2011 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chancie (Post 323046)
*snip*There were times when it was challenging to PM someone I didn't really 'know'. There was a time or two when the femme was sort of pissed off with me, and I decided it was more important to share what I knew than to worry about my dignity. *snip*

You are pretty damn fly...:hangloose:

----------------
In the interest of not making another post:

I think that for me I wouldn't have been taken advantage of if I had not been in the emotional space that I was personally in at the time. I wonder if this rings true for others, as well?

Bard 04-19-2011 08:03 PM

Add me to the taken for a ride folks more of the emotional type but she got me good as quite a few of you know and I thank god for all the good kind wonderful support from folks here.. and I also remember the support when I was in that bad accident people I have never met before came to see me in the hospital.. AS a law enforcement officer I am a cynic don't trust and I am way to protective. To the Amazing folks that made this safe place for those that keep it that way I thank you . yes I have been moderated a couple of times when I was a BAD BOI but it was done with respect... predators are out there yes but I just hope that we don't close our hearts

Nat 04-19-2011 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DapperButch (Post 323493)

----------------

I think that for me I wouldn't have been taken advantage of if I had not been in the emotional space that I was personally in at the time. I wonder if this rings true for others, as well?

There was a How Stuff Works podcast on cults where they said basically the most common factor among cult members is that they encountered the cult during a traumatic time in their lives like a divorce or death in the family. I think there's a similar parallel for other not-so-great situations - though anybody with an open, generous or trusting nature can run into that sort of trouble.

For many people it may just be a case of:

"Being that I flow in grief, the smallest twine may lead me."

-Leanato, Much Ado About Nothing

Medusa 04-19-2011 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DapperButch (Post 323493)

----------------

Chancie IS fly ;)

I do think the last part rings true more often than we'd like to admit. I think that our emotional states can sometimes blind us to the red flags - and even more, there are folks out there who are super skilled at picking up on that wounded energy.

People who are going through breakups, health issues, major family crisis, etc. need to be especially careful about seeking out comfort with people who may see that as an opportunity to fuck them over.

I'm so thankful knowing that the people out there with good intentions far outweigh those folks with ugly hearts. <3

DomnNC 04-19-2011 09:23 PM

Here's a few links that I found to be quite useful in the event of cyberstalking, how to stay safe online, how to gather info to pursue legal action if you are harassed, cyberstalked and if it carries over into offline how to handle that as well. The Stay Safe Online site has tools to check your pc for free to make sure it's secure and you aren't a prime candidate for identity theft due to hacking. Heck you can check it all out on the websites, they are well worth reading just for the knowledge.

Stay Safe Online
http://www.staysafeonline.org/

Cyber 911 Emergency
http://www.wiredsafety.org/cyberstal...ent/index.html

The National Center For Victims Of Crime
http://www.ncvc.org/ncvc/main.aspx?d...cumentID=32458

Stalking Laws by State (this is up to date as of Jan/2010, but could be current for your state, you'll just have to click the link to see or simply google "YourState Stalking Law" or "YourState Cyberstalking Law")
http://www.ncvc.org/src/main.aspx?db...te_Statutes117

If someone is sending you threatening emails or obscene material/pics be sure to save them, tons of info about the sender can be garnered by email headers that have info embedded that the typical user never sees or doesn't know how to look for it.

Have fun and be safe all.

Martina 04-19-2011 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Medusa (Post 323520)
People who are going through breakups, health issues, major family crisis, etc. need to be especially careful about seeking out comfort with people who may see that as an opportunity to fuck them over.

i know this sounds heartless, but sometimes people going through those kinds of crises are the ones who hurt others. i think it explains a lot of behavior that would otherwise be inexcusable. They are sick or in pain or . . . .

It's the only way i understood what happened. i just had to put it down to that. One of the problems with these situations is how much they make you judge your own ability to tell if people are OK or not. i think there usually are red flags. But i don't just want to befriend people who don't need friends, people who look or seem perfect. Who is anyway?

It's also sad that, if you are badly burned, you almost stereotype. i mean the next time you encounter a person with characteristics similar to those of the person who harmed you, it's going to make you pause. It's crazy. i am thinking of things like age, disability status, mental health issues, even interests. i think that sort of thing happens when you are badly burned. And it's sad. It makes you so much less open.