Butch Femme Planet

Butch Femme Planet (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/index.php)
-   Building Community On Butchfemmeplanet.com (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=129)
-   -   Getting Rid of Flippant Language : Check Yourselves Here (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=535)

JDeere 02-22-2016 07:48 PM

I don't see anything wrong with the word whore, bitch, women or females. As I don't see them as derogatory as other words. Right now my list of offensive words are minor.

imperfect_cupcake 02-22-2016 09:39 PM

I refer to people as female if I know they are female but I don't know their gender. They could be female and *not* women. How would I know? Many of my ex partners are female and Butch as their gender, not women. Or genderqueer. Or agender. But still female.

Female = biology
Women = gender

Two females (of whom having various different genders, but I'm lazy and not going to list them all, thus the use of "female" to acknowledge biology since I don't know gender specifically) with each other as still regarded as "lesbian" from the general public because the general public sees female = woman because they think gender and sex are the same thing.

There are so far 16 different chomasomal sexes. I am, as far as I know, a female. And since I work in medicine and have a background in biology, to me it sounds an accurate description.

Unless it's used by a bunch of frat boys when I walk in "hey, who fought the female". But then if they used "hey who brought the woman" or "who brought the lesbian" or "who brOught the femme" I would find that equally insulting. Mainly because I am being talked about in the third person to my face and being reduced to my presentation. Rather than a human.

I don't mind it when newspapers do it. "28 year old female" because it's factual and "28 year old male" is used as often. If someone is reporting facts, it doesn't bother me at all.

If someone is reducing me to my chromasomal sex, my gonads, or secondary sex characteristics - or my gender for that matter - when I am present, then I'll get pissed. I hate it when people say "hey ladies!" Or "hey girls!" It makes my skin crawl. Eugh.

So I'm the opposite, I guess!

I don't actually say anything, though as most people are just trying to be friendly and polite. And intent is important.

Greyson 02-22-2016 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nat (Post 1046775)
It does remind me of cops and the military.

Nat, I spend a lot of time in the company of Air Force military people because of the field work I am doing. I have never heard any of them refer to women as females. The term I hear them use most often when talking to a woman is "Ma'am" when they are officers and by rank and surname or only by their surname when referring to a woman that is not an officer.

As for me, they call me Mr. _____ , Sir, Ma'am or Greyson. I too wish there was another term besides binary terms when talking gender. On base, I am out as a Trans, (gender variant) person.

meridiantoo 02-22-2016 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by imperfect_cupcake (Post 1046811)
And intent is important.

This sums it up for me, I think...what the person intends behind a comment or label. I'm pretty easy-going. I don't get offended usually by someone calling me a bitch or whore or c**t or her or she or whatever. I don't care if someone calls me dude. But, I do pay attention to the intent behind the word(s). If someone means to be derogatory, then I try to look at the overall conversation going on. My bottom line is that if someone calls me something they intend to be a nasty remark, if I don't take offense, don't own it, it just rolls off my back, and I can move along.

I know this is easy for me to say though. I'm not butch or trans. Getting my gender confused never seems to be an issue. So, I know others go through this a lot more. So, I don't mean to take the topic lightly.

Kobi 02-23-2016 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greyson (Post 1046751)
I am over women being referred to as females. Since when did a woman become simply a female? I find the term woman to be strong, independent and intelligent. Female sounds as if a woman is reduced to some sort of commodity without any depth.

The word female is very special to me. Being female, just like being a lesbian, is something very special and a source of pride. It signifies something very important, very substantive, and very empowering. It is very much a part of who I am.

Calling adult women girls bugs me.

Angeltoes 02-23-2016 01:33 PM

I don't mind being called a girl by someone I like. That's fine with me. But I don't call other women "girls."

Ugh there are so many rules... :(

JDeere 08-16-2016 07:12 PM

Bump, anyone else?

femmeandstrong 08-16-2016 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JDeere (Post 1046778)
I don't see anything wrong with the word whore, bitch, women or females. As I don't see them as derogatory as other words. Right now my list of offensive words are minor.

holy cow, jdeer... lol...hope u feel better soon

~ocean 08-16-2016 08:42 PM

~

some ppl say dirty words ~ some ppl do dirty words ~ some ppl are just a dirty word ~ your own choice :) ~ enjoy lol

JDeere 08-17-2016 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by femmeandstrong (Post 1082847)
holy cow, jdeer... lol...hope u feel better soon

Lol I wasn't feeling bad when I posted this, I was being honest.

JDeere 08-17-2016 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~ocean (Post 1082854)
some ppl say dirty words ~ some ppl do dirty words ~ some ppl are just a dirty word ~ your own choice :) ~ enjoy lol

Care to clarify? lmao

TL1 08-17-2016 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~ocean (Post 1082854)

And some people are/do all.

In general "dirty" words do not bother me.

femmeandstrong 08-17-2016 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JDeere (Post 1083107)
Lol I wasn't feeling bad when I posted this, I was being honest.

hm...
that is quite incomprehensible to me...
but so be it

~ocean 08-17-2016 08:02 PM

~

Quote:

Originally Posted by JDeere (Post 1083110)
Care to clarify? lmao

LOL JD brat !

JDeere 08-17-2016 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by femmeandstrong (Post 1083123)
hm...
that is quite incomprehensible to me...
but so be it

How so? I'm just asking to get clarification?

JDeere 08-17-2016 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~ocean (Post 1083131)
LOL JD brat !

Ahaha you know it!

Reach *BANNED* 06-08-2018 07:50 PM

After reading all of these posts my word does not seem as hurtful but more dismissive. I do not like the word whatever because it feels dismissive. I think that it could be used in a flippant manner as well which leads to that dismissive feeling.

A lot of where I have been around this word is when you are trying to have a discussion with someone very important to you and say you have given a good 3 minutes of dialogue only to have this person say "whatever" or "whatever you want", etc.

It really feels dismissive to me as though everything I just said was not taken in at all by the other person, where they have digested it, mulled it over, and come up with a thoughtful and constructive response.

(Hopefully I have stayed with the vein of this thread- but again that is what came to mind when I read all of the posts)