Butch Femme Planet

Butch Femme Planet (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/index.php)
-   Celebrity, Music, Television, Internet Culture (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   Hannah Free, a butch-femme movie! (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=89)

bonne-maman 11-04-2009 11:39 PM

Hannah Free, a butch-femme movie!

I went to see Hannah Free this evening, it is an independent film with a storyline that spans the lives of a butch-femme couple. It is quite a lovely movie, and stars Sharon Gless (Chris Cagney!), as the butch. The movie is especially wonderful in that it explores aging and sexuality as well as the obvious lesbian issues. Has anyone else seen it? Thoughts?

Mel C. 11-04-2009 11:55 PM

Sounds great..I will have to add it to my list

Arwen 11-05-2009 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonne-maman (Post 678)
I went to see Hannah Free this evening, it is an independent film with a storyline that spans the lives of a butch-femme couple. It is quite a lovely movie, and stars Sharon Gless (Chris Cagney!), as the butch. The movie is especially wonderful in that it explores aging and sexuality as well as the obvious lesbian issues. Has anyone else seen it? Thoughts?

I haven't but I will look for it. Thanks for the heads up!

Edit: Well dang it. Looks like it came to Austin and I missed it. Hope they do it on DVD.

Queerasfck 11-05-2009 10:20 AM

Thanks for the tip Bonn-e-jammers.

Mister Bent 11-05-2009 04:30 PM

"Confused" asks...

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonne-maman (Post 678)

Bonne-o-rama, please to explain "obvious lesbian issues."

What are these issues?

Does this involve: Monograms? Fanny pack selection? Which one is "the man?"

Cyclopea 11-05-2009 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mister Bent (Post 849)

What are these issues?

Hmmm, No, these sound more like the issues of a homophobe or lesbian-basher....:confused:

apretty 11-05-2009 07:26 PM

Quote:

What are these issues?

i prefer a wax seal or sceau. (it's the preferred choice when you're requesting the head of some unsavory character.)

evolveme 11-05-2009 07:41 PM

I would just like it to be known that I am always the man.

Sometimes even, The Man.

Cyclopea 11-05-2009 07:52 PM

I could never remember which one was Cagney and which was Lacy.
Guess I never watched that show much.....

Seriously though, I look forward to seeing this film- Lesbian film representations are few and far between...:(

bonne-maman 11-05-2009 08:46 PM

Quote:

What are these issues?

Oh, ya know, Mr. Bender, marginalization, invisibility, not allowing lifetime lovers to visit each other right before one of them kicks the bucket. Also included, what happens when your lover marries a man and expects things not to change between you and her, what happens when you abandon her because she married the man and she does, really, feel abandoned, as do her children. And, the little things, like having the courage to kiss in the yard while raking leaves.

bonne-maman 11-05-2009 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arwen (Post 759)
I haven't but I will look for it. Thanks for the heads up!

Edit: Well dang it. Looks like it came to Austin and I missed it. Hope they do it on DVD.

It will be on DVD, and we should buy it as that is going to be the primary way they pay back their investors.....

lesbian movies only get made if someone has a bake sale.....

Mister Bent 11-05-2009 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonne-maman (Post 958)
Oh, ya know, Mr. Bender, marginalization, invisibility, not allowing lifetime lovers to visit each other right before one of them kicks the bucket. Also included, what happens when your lover marries a man and expects things not to change between you and her, what happens when you abandon her because she married the man and she does, really, feel abandoned, as do her children. And, the little things, like having the courage to kiss in the yard while raking leaves.

I made fun, but I really did want to know what you meant (which I think YOU know). Some of those are more than just lesbian issues, they are universal to the queer experience - marginalization, lack of (external) respect for the relationship and kissing while raking leaves. Kissing while having a bake sale is another, of course. Very cutting edge!

(Also, e isn't really the man, but sometimes she is The Man).

bonne-maman 11-05-2009 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mister Bent (Post 967)
I made fun, but I really did want to know what you meant (which I think YOU know). Some of those are more than just lesbian issues, they are universal to the queer experience - marginalization, lack of (external) respect for the relationship and kissing while raking leaves. Kissing while having a bake sale is another, of course. Very cutting edge!

(Also, e isn't really the man, but sometimes she is The Man).

Of course I knew that you were joshing, Mr. Eureka Tent. :) Yes those things are universal to being queer. Can I think of anything completely specific to being lesbian in the movie????? thinking cap, thinking cap. Well, maybe not in these "modern" times (now I am sounding old), but the part about children being brought along for the ride as lesbian relationships rode the waves of heterosexual marriage interruptions has been primarily a lesbian phenomenon, as opposed to a broader queer experience. Women have historically had custody of kids as het marriages broke apart, though I KNOW that is changing. This movie was set in the 1990's, and the two lovers were very aged in the "current" scenes of the movie. Their "young" scenes went back to their childhoods and young adulthoods, and middle-agedhoods.

e da man. yes e is.

And speaking of kissing, I was dutiful and did a bit of it while at the movie. There were no leaves to rake, I had to make do.

Arwen 11-05-2009 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonne-maman (Post 959)
It will be on DVD, and we should buy it as that is going to be the primary way they pay back their investors.....

lesbian movies only get made if someone has a bake sale.....

Sometimes, I'd rather just have the bake sale...thinking back to "Claire of the Moon"--shudder.

Cyclopea 11-05-2009 11:42 PM

oh no you di'int!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arwen (Post 1022)
Sometimes, I'd rather just have the bake sale...thinking back to "Claire of the Moon"--shudder.

Oh dear god. I actually dragged my ass into the theatre to see that one. We wanted to cover our faces as we left.
"Claire of the Moon" is the "Patch Adams", "Ishtar", "Showgirls" of Lesbian cinema.
I'm still cringing.
But someday they will watch it at midnight showings and dress up and throw toast at the screen.
OK maybe not. If it had been a musical perhaps...
:eek:

Arwen 11-05-2009 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyclopea (Post 1040)
Oh dear god. I actually dragged my ass into the theatre to see that one. We wanted to cover our faces as we left.
"Claire of the Moon" is the "Patch Adams", "Ishtar", "Showgirls" of Lesbian cinema.
I'm still cringing.
But someday they will watch it at midnight showings and dress up and throw toast at the screen.

I remember it clearly. I was in Lansing, MI. A HUGE group of us went. As we left, one of us stood in the aisle intently watching the credits.

We, not wanting to disturb her, asked her partner, "What's Max doing?"

Her partner rolled her eyes. "She's waiting for one redeeming quality."

We actually thought that we should picket the theater to prevent people from wasting their time and money.

Cyclopea 11-05-2009 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arwen (Post 1045)
I remember it clearly. I was in Lansing, MI. A HUGE group of us went. As we left, one of us stood in the aisle intently watching the credits.

We, not wanting to disturb her, asked her partner, "What's Max doing?"

Her partner rolled her eyes. "She's waiting for one redeeming quality."

We actually thought that we should picket the theater to prevent people from wasting their time and money.

Hahahaha That is hilarious!
God bless us all though for trying. Always looking for some good lez cinema.
*sigh*

Rook 02-14-2010 09:51 PM

Bumpety Bump:sunglass:

Outlaw 02-14-2010 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyclopea (Post 1048)
Always looking for some good lez cinema.
*sigh*

Ah, yes...that was Welcome Home, Roxy Carmichael, complete with " lesbian-issue sub-plot "

Toughy 02-14-2010 10:58 PM

I dunno................I think Salmonberries with KD Lang runs a close second or even beats Claire.....

musicman 02-15-2010 05:07 AM

Hannah Free

I was hoping to find Hannah Free on the met somewhere. we wouldn't get it here in my town. I saw the trailer for it and it looks fantastic.

Eventually someone will get it up on youtube .

Musicman

Gemme 02-15-2010 10:16 PM

What was wrong with "Patch Adams"? The others I get. Just curious.

Random 02-15-2010 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toughy (Post 49946)
I dunno................I think Salmonberries with KD Lang runs a close second or even beats Claire.....

Oh gads.. you had to dredge that piece of work up.....

Even as a young barely out of the closet, didn't know a single gay woman, living vicarously through melissa etherage vidios, I couldn't work up an emotion other that.. oh.. pretty landscape...

damn.. it... I now have that tune in my head...

Go eat your popcorn....

Toughy 02-15-2010 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ms Cyn (Post 50790)
Oh gads.. you had to dredge that piece of work up.....

Even as a young barely out of the closet, didn't know a single gay woman, living vicarously through melissa etherage vidios, I couldn't work up an emotion other that.. oh.. pretty landscape...

damn.. it... I now have that tune in my head...

Go eat your popcorn....

yes Ma'am...........laughing....

*munch munch*

would you like some??
:toypony:

Random 02-16-2010 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toughy (Post 50811)
yes Ma'am...........laughing....

*munch munch*

would you like some??
:toypony:

Lol..

sure.... mmmmm extra buttery....

christie 07-25-2010 11:03 AM

I managed to pick up the DVD on Ebay. We just finished watching it and I thought it was very well done - characters you could relate to - and of course, it made me cry.

If you haven't seen it, I think its worth it!

Converse 07-26-2010 01:43 PM

I really enjoyed the movie. I have a pretty extensive “women with women” video/dvd collection- which I started years ago when any movie with even the hint of something that could be seen as queer and female was jumped on. As like many of us I’m sure, I was desperate to find some kind of representation on the big screen. After many years of always looking for some kind of hidden meaning in the classics, the Hollywood lesbian movies started to appear.

Of course I grabbed those with equal enthusiasm; however, there was almost something even more alienating about them then any of the other mainstream movies. These lesbians, if they didn’t “lapse” back to their str8 ways, or were focused on having to “choose” because of their bisexuality, then they always ended up being attracted to their mirror image; every movie seemed like a scene from a girl’s dorm- with any sexual activity being as exciting as a pillow fight. There comes a point when the Lword, used as the tool for gaining visibility, does more harm than good.

There are very, very few well made films that are true to the Butch-Femme dynamic- in my opinion Hannah Free is one of them. The sexual dynamic, where the lust continues throughout their entire relationship and the “can’t keep my hands off of you” attraction was so well done- and as bonne-maman said, so many other familiar issues. Its not a movie with an extraordinary storyline, the “extraordiness” for me, came from finding representation- I nodded a lot.

christie- my girl cried too. :|Still not sure why exactly- but she said she liked it anyway.

Strappie 07-26-2010 02:35 PM

Oh I know.... I'm going to get ripped on for this...

Whatever happened to people supporting something even though it's not perfect? Here is a movie that clearly is getting recognition but yet our own community can't support the fact they at least they are trying to get a message across and show that we are REAL PEOPLE in the world.

Instead of making light hearted jokes, how about we instead maybe thank them for getting the message out there? I don't know it's an idea.

Let the ripping begin!!

Strappie 07-26-2010 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Converse (Post 160860)
I really enjoyed the movie. I have a pretty extensive “women with women” video/dvd collection- which I started years ago when any movie with even the hint of something that could be seen as queer and female was jumped on. As like many of us I’m sure, I was desperate to find some kind of representation on the big screen. After many years of always looking for some kind of hidden meaning in the classics, the Hollywood lesbian movies started to appear.

Of course I grabbed those with equal enthusiasm; however, there was almost something even more alienating about them then any of the other mainstream movies. These lesbians, if they didn’t “lapse” back to their str8 ways, or were focused on having to “choose” because of their bisexuality, then they always ended up being attracted to their mirror image; every movie seemed like a scene from a girl’s dorm- with any sexual activity being as exciting as a pillow fight. There comes a point when the Lword, used as the tool for gaining visibility, does more harm than good.

There are very, very few well made films that are true to the Butch-Femme dynamic- in my opinion Hannah Free is one of them. The sexual dynamic, where the lust continues throughout their entire relationship and the “can’t keep my hands off of you” attraction was so well done- and as bonne-maman said, so many other familiar issues. Its not a movie with an extraordinary storyline, the “extraordiness” for me, came from finding representation- I nodded a lot.

christie- my girl cried too. :|Still not sure why exactly- but she said she liked it anyway.

Converse you still continue to get me to perv your writing!

Ebon 07-26-2010 02:41 PM

Quote:

What are these issues?

Probably involves which Uhaul place to rent from or who wears which pair of Birkenstocks.

dreadgeek 07-26-2010 03:09 PM

Quote:

I'm still cringing.

Sweet Jesus, Claire of the Moon was painful. I had more or less recovered from the trauma of seeing it...until today.

dreadgeek 07-26-2010 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strappie (Post 160895)
Oh I know.... I'm going to get ripped on for this...

Whatever happened to people supporting something even though it's not perfect? Here is a movie that clearly is getting recognition but yet our own community can't support the fact they at least they are trying to get a message across and show that we are REAL PEOPLE in the world.

Instead of making light hearted jokes, how about we instead maybe thank them for getting the message out there? I don't know it's an idea.

Let the ripping begin!!

But the ritualistic eating of our own is such a time-honored tradition. Plus a certain level of critique is justified if for no other reason than that it will prevent another Claire of the Moon--or at least we could hope. If only someone had gone to the writer, director or producer of that movie and said, "Ummm, there's this thing called a plot. You might try creating one that way people will know that something boring is going to happen and that will build some kind of suspense."

:)

imperfect_cupcake 07-26-2010 04:57 PM

I'm presently downloading it off graboid. you can get a free trial of graboid of 30MB. so, if you can't get a hold of it, you can down load it for free.

morningstar55 07-26-2010 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arwen (Post 1022)

it is on DVD........

http://www.hannahfree.com/

Strappie 07-26-2010 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Organicbutch (Post 160900)
Probably involves which Uhaul place to rent from or who wears which pair of Birkenstocks.

I rest my case!!

dark_crystal 07-26-2010 07:49 PM

Quote:

I'm still cringing.

i LOVE Showgirls. Especially when they show it on Vh-1's Movies That Rock. They cg in these little bikini tops for the dance numbers

ok i find the cg bikini tops laughable but i really do like the movie. i love Paul Verhoeven.

Corkey 07-26-2010 08:28 PM

I like movies with a plot, actually I love to see movies that move me that have a plot I can identify with. I will not spend my money on a plotless movie, I don't care if it was made by Cecil B. D'Mille.
But I applaud the film makers for at least trying.

christie 07-26-2010 08:34 PM

Strappie -

I'm not gonna rip you. I think you are exactly correct. Its not a perfectly done movie, but the characters were real - the kind I think most folks can relate to and to me, that was what touched me.

Converse - I cried because I could relate to the position that Hannah was in - the reality of blood family being able to keep Jess away from me in that situation. The reality that no matter how much our relationship might be *tolerated* it is STILL not recognized with the same legal rights as marriage.

Perhaps it hit too close to home having been in an accident last week and instead of Jess being able to focus on getting self and our son on the road for the 4 hour trip to get to me in the ER, Jess had to ensure that the POA's and Durable POA for Healthcare and Living Will documents were in order in the event I was unable to give permission for Jess to be involved in my care. It.just.sucks.

All that aside, I think that Hannah Free was a very realistic view of the BF dynamic. I may have to watch it again!

Ebon 07-27-2010 12:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strappie (Post 161004)
I rest my case!!

The defense rests also.

Dylan 07-27-2010 01:28 AM

Desert Hearts

Another Claire,
Dylan

And then there was some movie with Muriel Hemingway. She was a runner...who (wait for it. wait for it. wait for it) ends up with the man ('cuz you know, if one of the lesbians in the couple doesn't die at the end, they <naturally> end up with the man)

I think I just officially dated myself