Butch Femme Planet

Butch Femme Planet (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hobbies, Crafts, Interests (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Ideas for Knitting (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=155)

Linus 11-08-2009 11:37 AM

Ideas for Knitting

Ok. So, the rest of the world thinks that knitting isn't very "manly" but I've been pondering it as a way to make gifts, be a little bit more frugal and something to pass the time. I was thinking of getting "Son of Stitch'n'Bitch" and perhaps making K a nice big sweater (she likes big, bulky stuff) for her birthday.

If you're "guy/butch" was to make you something knitted, what would you want? Sweater? Blanket? iPod cozy?

Diva 11-08-2009 12:04 PM

Linus, I think this is wonderful!!! At first, I thought You were just trying to reel Merrick in! ;)

But this is great....and, while I have never HAD an iPod cozy <smile> I would be charmed to the nth degree to receive one from my Guy.....if I HAD a Guy....how sweet is THIS!

You go on with Your bad knitting self now!:D

~Diva

Lady Jewel 11-08-2009 12:28 PM

Linus, if my guy were to make me ANYTHING...I would love it just for the fact that he crafted with his own hands with me in mind.

Warmly,
Jewel

Bit 11-08-2009 06:40 PM

Hi Linus!! What a grand idea!

Well Nick's not my guy, but he crocheted me a hat which I ADORE--it's made from really soft bamboo yarn in a colorway called Rose Camo and looks kinda like an impressionist painting of the miniature wild roses you see at the beach, all shades of rose and green together--and then, THEN, he taught ME to knit! *big grin*

I think if Gryph were to make me anything, I would probably want it to be smaller like the hat, maybe a scarf or something, because I like being able to wear the love but I think making a sweater might drive him crazy. *grin*

Andrew, Jr. 11-08-2009 06:57 PM

Linus,

I had someone knit me a cigar holder. I am not kidding. It was fabulous. I used it until I wore it out, and the bottom fell apart. I took it everywhere with me, and used it like a cigar case.

Another idea would be to make kleenex box holders. Maybe if you can learn to sew/knit in their initial or a symbol of something they enjoy (like a sailboat, a tennis racket, a lacross stick, a football, etc.).

I think it is good to have a hobby to keep your mind active. There is nothing wrong with that. ;)

Andrew

Arwen 11-09-2009 11:38 PM

Little brother, if Rosie Grier can needlepoint, you can knit to your heart's content. I would be amazingly touched if someone took the time to knit me a sweater, crochet me a blanket, any of that. Gender/label/id....who cares! The idea that anyone would take that time would be what counted.

I have a little ceramic heart I got from Diva a year or so ago. I treasure it. Not just because it is incredibly artistic, but because it was made and given with love. It was one of the first things I unpacked and put out today.

That's what counts in the end. Love.

Andrew, Jr. 11-10-2009 07:52 AM

Arwen, thank you for that post. It was so well said. :)

Arwen 11-13-2009 09:18 AM

Are you familiar with Lion Brand yarn? They have a newsletter that offers free patterns among other things. I have a ton of their free patterns saved--not that I've actually WORKED on any of them.

Pixie is a crocheter and I am going to get her to help me learn more. I have found the huge granny squares that I've been working on for a blanket. I'm going to start on that again.

I love granny squares but I have to reteach myself how to do them EVERY TIME. sigh.

So Linus, can this thread be about knitting and crocheting and tatting and all those fun fiber arts or should we start one for that specifically?

http://www.lionbrand.com by the way!

Linus 11-13-2009 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arwen (Post 4517)

So Linus, can this thread be about knitting and crocheting and tatting and all those fun fiber arts or should we start one for that specifically?

http://www.lionbrand.com by the way!

By all means, use this as a knitting thread. :) If we all share, then we all benefit. :)

Novelafemme 11-13-2009 10:11 AM

I just taught myself how to knit over the weekend :) I have always crochet but had always struggled with knitting. Now I CANT STOP!! :eek: I love it ;)

MsMerrick 11-13-2009 06:26 PM

Linus my dear, should you wish to learn to knit, do drop by our Queer Knitting Circle, Monday nights .. :) I'll do some thread somewhere with details, and sned you an invite on FB :)

Arwen 11-14-2009 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MsMerrick (Post 4915)
Linus my dear, should you wish to learn to knit, do drop by our Queer Knitting Circle, Monday nights .. :) I'll do some thread somewhere with details, and sned you an invite on FB :)

And look what the cat drug in! Hey Merrick! :welcome: Fancy meeting you here! I knew the knitting thread would get you. hee

Hudson 11-14-2009 10:07 PM

a penis cozy

Kast 11-14-2009 10:21 PM

yawn........

MsMerrick 11-15-2009 06:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ben-Her (Post 5574)
a penis cozy

The crochet patterns I've seen, have been a tad better than the knitting ones, but.. Knit on :)

MsMerrick 11-15-2009 06:59 AM

Let's see if I can do this right.
Should you be in NYC, or visiting, and wish to hang out with some Queer Knitters, please do drop by our weekly Stitch n Bitch ..
Specifics here

Linus 11-15-2009 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MsMerrick (Post 5682)
Let's see if I can do this right.
Should you be in NYC, or visiting, and wish to hang out with some Queer Knitters, please do drop by our weekly Stitch n Bitch ..
Specifics here

I'll have to try in the new year. :( And even then it'll be iffy. Sigh.

Crone 11-24-2009 05:28 PM

Loom knitting

I've started knitting with those round or oblong plastic knitting looms by Provo Craft (Knifty).

They're fun, easy to work with and it takes the worry out of knitting because you don't really have to count.

I've made two baby beanies, and a couple of scarves and a lap pad.

Any other Knifty loomers?

Crone : )

:admin:

Wryly 12-03-2009 01:24 AM

Linus -
I have that S&B book. I haven't actually used it so if you'd like I can send it to you - - or give it to you when you're up this way.

Linus 12-03-2009 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wryly (Post 15820)
Linus -
I have that S&B book. I haven't actually used it so if you'd like I can send it to you - - or give it to you when you're up this way.

Rats! Wish you had told me earlier.. I already got one. Ah well.. you could always sell it on Queerbay ;)