Butch Femme Planet

Butch Femme Planet (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/index.php)
-   Thinking Harder (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=134)
-   -   The *actual* poll of Where are you From/Living (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7613)

imperfect_cupcake 10-22-2014 02:03 PM

The *actual* poll of Where are you From/Living

OK, actual poll... Pleeeeaaase read

why do I do this? Cause I am really interested in cultural differences, having a degree in Anthropology and having lived in a lot of different countries and regions and how certain ideologies and custom (ideas of humour/"respect"/"politeness", for example) get vastly changed from place to place. People think they are constants. And wow, they are sooooo not.

How to Pick an Option:

One: Pick *region* where you were born and spent first 18 years of life OR if not 18 years where you were born, the place you have spent The Longest Amount of Time OR if there are two, pick the one that has had the most influence on how you perceive your environment and your values.

I'll be asking family of origin in another one.

Two: Do *NOT* pick "other" cause you moved around a lot. Pick according to the region you spent your childhood or the place you spent the most time *living* - Other is for any place I may not have included out of ignorance or over site. If you spent equal time in two or more places, pick the one you think has had to most influence on your thinking.

I pick western canada because although I started living in different places when I was 19, it's still the longest I have ever spent in one place. I do notice it's values and influences where ever I move to and live - even though I've moved back and some of the cultural traits of west coast canada get on my last nerve (because I've moved around and picked up non-local norms, the majority - even just by a margin - of my values come here).

Disclaimer: I selected and grouped regions. I realise it may not be how you would. Polls are shite.
I am also tilting the regions according the US populace of the boards. That's why outside the US, the regions get meaninglessly huge. I also did not include antartica and a few other places. Please choose "other" if you are from Iceland (as I know most of you don't consider yourself to be part of Northern Europe) and be sure to slap me in an IM.

Typing disclaimer: I also slapped the typist for her lazy inconsistencies in capitolisations.

Gráinne 10-22-2014 02:15 PM

I still don't see a poll. I'm born and raised in NE Ohio.

imperfect_cupcake 10-22-2014 02:17 PM

because it took me 20 min to type out all the choices...

TruTexan 10-22-2014 02:21 PM

I picked US Southwest because I was born in Tx and live in Tx.

Breathless 10-22-2014 02:50 PM

I answered the poll question before reading the poll directions.. Go ahead spank me ;-) ... I said western Canada, although I have physically been here the longest, (20 in the west, 18 in the east) I am a severe North central easterner.. Way above all the great Lakes. You know the place in the world where the keys to the expensive car still hangs in the ignition and no one ever locks the house.. Where trusting thy neighbour still completely exists.

MsTinkerbelly 10-22-2014 02:50 PM

Finally! ;)

Born in southern California, and with a couple of short stays elsewhere (after age 18), i've always lived here.

Femmadian 10-22-2014 03:16 PM

When I first voted, it said a quarter of BFPers hailed from Eastern Canada. Got all excited before I looked at the number of voters beside that percentage amount... heh. :rolleyes:

Glad to see you're getting lots of responses. May your final sample size be large and diverse! :goodluck:

http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/73...7d84fd8f86.jpg

Syr 10-22-2014 03:17 PM

Canada east or west? That's it? That's like US east or west.

Words 10-22-2014 03:49 PM

30 years total UK (where I was born and lived for the first 18 years) and 25 total Middle East (Lebanon, Libya, Iran, Israel).

Definitely the latter when it comes to the greatest influence.

imperfect_cupcake 10-22-2014 03:51 PM

please read disclaimer, Syr... I'm from *&^%$ canada, I know that...
There are only 30 slots. I also know that South africa and North africa is an Insane difference, to be meaningless. Decide which 4 regions on a US board, outside of US should take priority, then make your own poll *big charming smile*

Please place complaints against a meaningless and shite poll in my IM box.

Or are you taking the piss to get me girl-huffy?

Rockinonahigh 10-22-2014 03:54 PM

I picked south west.Living in Louisiana,I use to travel a lot but always come home.

imperfect_cupcake 10-22-2014 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Words (Post 943679)
30 years total UK (where I was born and lived for the first 18 years) and 25 total Middle East (Lebanon, Libya, Iran, Israel).

Definitely the latter when it comes to the greatest influence.

It's a conundrum.

I did consider that complexity ... that's why I tossed in the alternate "choose which influences your sense of values etc" in the OP. though I know lots of people will click before reading lol.

But if you feel it shaped your values more than the UK, by all mean, absolutely!

Gemme 10-22-2014 04:53 PM

Well, this was anti-climatic.

:blink:

imperfect_cupcake 10-22-2014 05:34 PM

Iknorite!

40 min of my life now gone...

*cry*

Words 10-22-2014 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by honeybarbara (Post 943682)
It's a conundrum.

I did consider that complexity ... that's why I tossed in the alternate "choose which influences your sense of values etc" in the OP. though I know lots of people will click before reading lol.

But if you feel it shaped your values more than the UK, by all mean, absolutely!

Nooooo, I voted UK HB....I was just adding some context.

Hey, don't give up...first thread that's caught my attention in yonks;)

Words 10-22-2014 06:02 PM

I don't agree that the poll is meaningless by the way. For example, I've been accused a couple of times online of being 'snooty' or even 'snarky' when I talk when in reality, all I'm doing is speaking the Queen's English. It's not like I lose sleep over it but I do think that a total disregard for regional/cultural differences plays a HUGE part in many of the problems we face as a community.

imperfect_cupcake 10-22-2014 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Words (Post 943715)
Nooooo, I voted UK HB....I was just adding some context.

Hey, don't give up...first thread that's caught my attention in yonks;)

Ohhh lol... Yeah, see there's that. It's hard to make more complex polls.
I'd like to make one for people who have moved around to click the two or three most influential places on their values and expression. Not sure how to do that....

I know a few places have changed me in really deep ways. And although I couldn't do the southern UK again in a place to live, I have been enculturated in ways I didn't realise till got home and felt like slapping many of the people here. Usually to do with humour and how to deal with conflict. ;)

Southern UK, where I learned to make "sorry" and "thank you" said with a light smile or look of concern sound like "fuck. you." Lol

imperfect_cupcake 10-22-2014 06:24 PM

As for polls in general... They are all deeply flawed. I'm kind of generalist. I see things on "big picture" kind of ways while keeping in mind limitations and exceptions. I get into a lot of fun and argy-bargy pillow fights with people who are more detail orientated.... But then I get over quick barking very quickly. I can go from "you are an ass" to "oh! Oh yeah... Ok... I'm an ass" in 6.5 seconds....

Caution label: not conflict adverse...

I personally like to blame my parents for that one lol

JDeere 10-22-2014 06:50 PM

West South, spent most of my life in Oklahoma

Blade 10-22-2014 07:41 PM

Sticking with the poll, I was born in the south west. Have spent most of my life in the south atlantic