Butch Femme Planet

Butch Femme Planet (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hobbies, Crafts, Interests (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Household hints and cleaning recipes! (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4665)

girl_dee 02-22-2012 03:39 PM

Household hints and cleaning recipes!

Questions, answers and tips here!

lot's of folks in the craft thread had some great ideas, so here we go!

LaneyDoll 02-22-2012 03:50 PM

One of my faves...

Vinegar in laundry! Add about 1/4 cup white distilled vinegar to the last rinse. It is too mild to harm fabrics, but strong enough to dissolve the alkalies. It also whitens whites, brightens brights and makes black less blah. AND, it acts as a fabric softener and static reducer; using it will actually make your towels softer. Plus, it helps with the bad smells like smoke etc. Finally, it works on clothes that have mold or mildew (for anyone who has forgotten about a load of wet clothes in the washer).

:sparklyheart:

Novelafemme 02-22-2012 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LaneyDoll (Post 533552)
One of my faves...

Vinegar in laundry! Add about 1/4 cup white distilled vinegar to the last rinse. It is too mild to harm fabrics, but strong enough to dissolve the alkalies. It also whitens whites, brightens brights and makes black less blah. AND, it acts as a fabric softener and static reducer; using it will actually make your towels softer. Plus, it helps with the bad smells like smoke etc. Finally, it works on clothes that have mold or mildew (for anyone who has forgotten about a load of wet clothes in the washer).

I never knew this. Thank you for sharing :)

I use vinegar to clean my stainless steel appliances. It gets even the hard water marks off without having to scrub and it leaves everything shiny and streak-free.

girl_dee 02-22-2012 03:53 PM

Essential oils in the bath! i love eucalyptus for my breathing and lavender is the best for relaxation.

i put a few drops in and the whole house smells great :)

LaneyDoll 02-22-2012 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Novelafemme (Post 533556)
I never knew this. Thank you for sharing :)

Anytime! For the price, you cannot beat it. I actually keep my vinegar in the laundry area-not the kitchen.

1QuirkyKiwi 02-22-2012 03:58 PM

Red wine spill on carpet? Douse with soda water then dab with layers of paper towel. Continue until no colour shows on the paper towel.

Line the laundry baskets with a couple of sheets of paper towel sprinkled with tea tree oil to keep nasty smells at bay.

A box or small bowl of baking soda in the refrigerator, freezer, or any cupboard will keep away unpleasant odours. Similarly, baking soda will keep away garbage odours; sprinkle the bottom of the pail, and then sprinkle again after you put a new bag in.

To remove stale smells from food containers, rinse out with hot water and baking soda. If the smell persists, let the container soak overnight in the baking soda and water mixture.

For burnt-on food in the bottom of pots, sprinkle with baking soda, and then add hot water. Let soak overnight; the dried on food will come loose much more easily.

Baking soda in the litter tray will help prevent odours.

Add a few drops of Essential oils to a damp cotton wool ball and put it in your vacuum.

Add a few drops of Essential oils to a wet wash cloth and place in your dryer.

girl_dee 02-22-2012 04:01 PM

i do the essential oils in the vacuum but never thought about the dryer!

Herne is my favorite for the floors, a few drops in the water bucket is great.

girl_dee 02-22-2012 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LaneyDoll (Post 533558)
Anytime! For the price, you cannot beat it. I actually keep my vinegar in the laundry area-not the kitchen.

i will try this!

LaneyDoll 02-22-2012 04:09 PM

Ok, more laundry stuff-kind of.

Laundry sheets uses:

~put in your pocket to help repel mosquitos
~tuck under the seat of your car to help the scent stay fresh
~wipe across hair when static is an issue
~stash in the lingerie drawer for body-friendly sachets

TimilDeeps 02-22-2012 04:12 PM

Use an iron, paper towels, and a paper grocery bag to remove candle wax.

paper towels directly on wax then cover that with the grocery bag. Iron the grocery bag until wax melts and is absorbed by the paper towels.

girl_dee 02-22-2012 04:13 PM

a pumice stone will make the toilet shiny and new, and anything else with water scale.

it's non abrasive and words great to erase those lines.

girl_dee 02-24-2012 08:46 AM

cleaning and laundry day so i'm using vinegar, i can't stand the smell of Febreeze (which is the most toxic item on the shelf) or most cleaners, all they do is mask odor.

Truly Scrumptious 02-24-2012 09:01 AM

More uses for vinegar

Do you have any of those storage things in your shower that stick on the wall with suction cups? If they keep falling off the wall, wipe the back of the cups and the wall with vinegar, wet the suction cups with water, and stick back on the wall . . . they will stay put.

Also, after we had a bathroom repainted I noticed some paint splatter on the chrome towel racks. Guess what took them right off? Vinegar. Plus I noticed how shiny the towel rack was becoming . . . so I cleaned the faucets with vinegar too!

And . . . if you have any stinky kitchen smells (think fish), a small bowl of vinegar left sitting on the counter will get rid of the smell quickly.

dark_crystal 02-24-2012 09:27 AM

thehairpin.com is tolly awesome in every way, but they have a feature called "Ask a Clean Person" that is awesome

here is the archive

http://thehairpin.com/tag/ask-a-clean-person

bonus: THE COMMENTS on any hairpin post can easily become the best part of your whole day

girl_dee 02-25-2012 08:27 AM

oh yes and a small bowl of vinegar can help soak up stinky smoke smells and other general icky smells.

girl_dee 02-25-2012 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dark_crystal (Post 534859)
thehairpin.com is tolly awesome in every way, but they have a feature called "Ask a Clean Person" that is awesome

here is the archive

http://thehairpin.com/tag/ask-a-clean-person

bonus: THE COMMENTS on any hairpin post can easily become the best part of your whole day

What a cool site! Thank you!

RockOn 02-25-2012 09:11 AM

Thank you, thank you, thank you Cajun_dee for this topic!
Though I do not have time to hang out here online today, I am commenting so I can easily find this place again.

Off now to do woodworking outside today. It finally quit raining and I must complete my storage room shelves that I started weeks ago. Excited because I can take stuff out of my kitchen like crockpot, veggie steamer, etc. and put in storage room - free up kitchen space. Plus, it is fun to build useful things. :)

Happy day to all! (f)
Brock

Andrea 02-25-2012 09:51 AM

Vinegar is miracle stuff.

Another use: run through the coffee pot to clean out water scales, etc. I run a pot with a 1/4 cup vinegar and then two water pots to rinse. The water is used on the potted plants on the front porch.

asphaltcowboi 02-25-2012 10:07 AM

hmm i have found that a can of coke is helpful to remove grease (from working on cars) .. i put a little in my laundry and it takes hard grease stains out of my levis..have to re wash but the stains are gone. same with tracked in grease on carpet..pour some coke on it let it sit a lil then scrub with a brush then just warm soap an water.
also tooth paste for those white rings on tables (from hot coffee cup an stuff). the regular crest. a dab on my finger ..work it into the wood until the burn is gone.

um also mayo.. when a cigg burn is in carpet or upolstery.. run some mayo on it it will break up that black burn stuff

Electrocell 02-25-2012 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1QuirkyKiwi (Post 533565)
Red wine spill on carpet? Douse with soda water then dab with layers of paper towel. Continue until no colour shows on the paper towel.

You can also pour regular table salt on red wine spills this absorbs it then just vacuum it up.