Butch Femme Planet

Butch Femme Planet (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/index.php)
-   Thinking Harder (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=134)
-   -   All things English/American (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3216)

Merlin 05-08-2011 05:36 PM

All things English/American

I thought I would start this thread in the hope this English butchie can learn a bit about your culture and you can mine ..

For example ::

It has always interested me, can you be gay in every state or can you still be arrested and gay clubs raided ?

Guy 05-08-2011 05:52 PM

Is it English slang to call a butch "butchie"?

Merlin 05-08-2011 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guy (Post 335331)

Yeah it's what a lot of my femme friends say,it's used in a softer way than butch it is for closer friends I guess it's a pet name for Butch :fastdraq:

always2late 05-08-2011 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Merlin (Post 335323)
I thought I would start this thread in the hope this English butchie can learn a bit about your culture and you can mine ..

It has always interested me, can you be gay in every state or can you still be arrested and gay clubs raided ?

One can be gay in every state, its just that there are some states more "tolerant" and gay-friendly than others. Actually...even in tolerant states, there can be areas where it can be dangerous to be openly gay. Sigh...sad but true.

I've not heard of gay clubs being raided and arrests being made solely for being gay. I suppose they still are...but I think its done more under another pretense now.

LaneyDoll 05-08-2011 09:14 PM

Merlin, please feel free to check out the information in this link...

http://atlantaeagleraid.com/

Merlin 05-09-2011 12:58 AM

News of the above had hit the shores here.

I was wondering as I would like to visit the states and obviously health,safety and well being is paramount.

Ok my next question corn dog is it meat ?

wcstone 05-09-2011 01:11 AM

No. Kinda a good question there. About the same as us asking if Spotted Dick is really meat. A corndog, typically purchased at an event such as a fair, is a regular ole hotdog with a sweet corn breading dip and deepfry. Eaten with mustard or mayo or both. Okay now don't tell me Google spotted Dick..wth is it ?

Merlin 05-09-2011 01:16 AM

Lmao I haven't had spotted dick since a child (that sounds wrong lol)

It's sponge pudding with Currants in, can be eaten with custard,cream or ice cream ..

It's the kind of food your granny makes,you don't tend to hear of it much these days unless you go to ye olde English pubs lol.

Daktari 05-09-2011 02:39 AM

More specifically spotted dick is a rolled suet pudding with, as Merlin, says, dried fruits and most often served with custard.

StillettoDoll 05-09-2011 04:00 AM

Is there a pride parade or celebration in England?

Daktari 05-09-2011 04:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StillettoDoll (Post 335529)
Is there a pride parade or celebration in England?

Loads yes. Most larger towns have their own Pride. Large cities like Manchester, Birmingham, London host the 'main' Pride celebrations.

StillettoDoll 05-09-2011 04:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Incubus (Post 335531)
Loads yes. Most larger towns have their own Pride. Large cities like Manchester, Birmingham, London host the 'main' Pride celebrations.

Ok when are they?

Merlin 05-09-2011 04:38 AM

Most major cities do,but even our local small town has one.

Greyson 05-09-2011 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Merlin (Post 335509)

Welcome to the site Merlin. You can also buy corn dogs that are vegetarian at a very popular chain grocery store here in some of the states, Trader Joes.

Apocalipstic 05-09-2011 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guy (Post 335331)

A lot of people here in the US say Butchie too. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Merlin (Post 335323)

Things are usually better in cities than out of them, but from time to time a gay bar gets raided. It seems more directed at gay men though. I live in Nashville and have never had a problem.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Merlin (Post 335509)
News of the above had hit the shores here.

I was wondering as I would like to visit the states and obviously health,safety and well being is paramount.

Well, sort of....if sausage is meat lol.

I actually did order spotted dick from room service in London....tasted OK lol.

Legendryder 05-09-2011 09:55 AM

I love a good corn dog. Yummy. As far as the Eagle raid in Atlanta, the APD found out that things like that are stupid and expensive. I do not think we will be seeing anymore jonny law dumbass moves there anymore.

Toughy 05-09-2011 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LaneyDoll (Post 335442)
Merlin, please feel free to check out the information in this link...

http://atlantaeagleraid.com/

As far as I know any gay bar with Eagle in it's name is actually a gay men's (sometimes women are welcome) leather bar. You can get your ass thrown in jail for having consensual BDSM activities. The Top/Dom/Syr/Sir can be arrested for assault, assault with a deadly weapon (knife play), domestic violence, without the bottom/sub/slave pressing charges.

I am wondering if the raid at the Atlanta Eagle (in 2009) was more about BDSM than about gay. The combination could be irresistable to a prosecutor or the police.

We need changes in federal and state laws to protect those of us who are kinky/leather folks from harrassement and jail time. At IMsL (International Ms Leather) this year, petitions were passed around for signatures to actually put something in a CA proprosed crime bill to ensure consensual behavior was exempted from the law.

JustJo 05-09-2011 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toughy (Post 335646)
As far as I know any gay bar with Eagle in it's name is actually a gay men's (sometimes women are welcome) leather bar. You can get your ass thrown in jail for having consensual BDSM activities. The Top/Dom/Syr/Sir can be arrested for assault, assault with a deadly weapon (knife play), domestic violence, without the bottom/sub/slave pressing charges.

I am wondering if the raid at the Atlanta Eagle (in 2009) was more about BDSM than about gay. The combination could be irresistable to a prosecutor or the police.

We need changes in federal and state laws to protect those of us who are kinky/leather folks from harrassement and jail time. At IMsL (International Ms Leather) this year, petitions were passed around for signatures to actually put something in a CA proprosed crime bill to ensure consensual behavior was exempted from the law.

Wow...sorry for the derail, but I never realized that this was an issue. I'm stunned that these activities (when consensual, of course) can still get someone in serious legal trouble. Just sitting here like this :blink:

Sparkle 05-09-2011 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StillettoDoll (Post 335533)
Ok when are they?

Mostly in the summertime, like here.

London's is the last weekend of June (usually the same weekend as NYC & SF pride), Brighton's is in August.

They usually have a big parade, followed by a rally, followed by a festival with live music etc.

Apocalipstic 05-09-2011 12:49 PM

Would love to attend Pride in the UK! :tea: