Butch Femme Planet

Butch Femme Planet (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/index.php)
-   Europe Forums (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=82)
-   -   Scotland (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7918)

dykeumentary 11-08-2015 09:30 PM

Scotland

Queer Women in Love: Virgin Machine (Glasgow)
November 10 @ 7:00 pm - 9:00 pm
The Glad Cafe
£5

Presented by SQIFF
Scottish Queer International Film Festival
In this early film by director Monika Treut, wannabe writer and journalist Dorothee leaves Germany for San Francisco searching for her long-lost mother and some insights into the ailment known as love. Encounters with male impersonator Ramona, charming bohemian Dominique, and purveyor of lesbian erotica, Susie Sexpert, result in liberating adventures in sexual self-discovery. When Dorothee surfaces a little dazzled on the wilder shores of the city’s lesbian community, she has discovered her sexuality…and left her illusions of romance behind.

Screening with short films Fingers by Sandra Alland and 1987, Summer by Krissy Mahan. Fingers features a British Sign Language (BSL) poetry performance by Alison Smith about love, longing, and the sexiness of touch. 1987, Summer is about a a baby dyke who has landed in a gay resort town during the AIDS crisis. She plays softball, goes clubbing, sleeps with lots of women, and learns about who she is and what she wants.

Director of Fingers Sandra Alland will join us for a Q&A (BSL interpreted).

Ages 18+ only.

£5. To book tickets please use the button below. We have a number of free tickets to give away. If you can’t afford the ticket price for any reason, please email helen@sqiff.org or call 07735 273 245 to register for free entry.

BSL interpretation. Films screening with English subtitles for accessibility (short film Fingers also in BSL). The Glad Cafe is a wheelchair accessible venue: level access to building with a ramp to access the screening area and an accessible toilet. To book a place for a wheelchair, please contact the venue on 0141 636 6119.

Part of SQIFF presents: Queer Women in Love, a season of films by and about lesbian, bisexual, and queer women. Part of BFI LOVE, in partnership with Plusnet bfi.org.uk/love.
Details

Date:
November 10
Time:
7:00 pm - 9:00 pm
Cost:
£5
Event Category:
Films
Event Tags:
Glasgow, Queer Women in Love
Organizer

SQIFF
Venue

The Glad Cafe
1006a Pollokshaws Road
Glasgow, G41 2HG United Kingdom
+ Google Map
http://www.thegladcafe.co.uk/

Angeltoes 11-08-2015 10:02 PM

Are you going to see that? I want to go to Scotland! It looks amazing.

dykeumentary 11-08-2015 10:38 PM

1987, Summer
Although I wish we could all go watch my movie in Scotland, you might have to watch it at the link above.
It is a real honor to be part of such a prestigious film event.
Maybe one day I'll fly around the world to see my butch/femme movies everywhere!

Angeltoes 11-08-2015 11:11 PM

That was really good! I laughed so hard at the girlfriend part. It reminded me of myself just a tiny bit....:lol2:

Congratulations!

dykeumentary 11-09-2015 06:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angeltoes (Post 1025088)
That was really good! I laughed so hard at the girlfriend part. It reminded me of myself just a tiny bit....:lol2:

Congratulations!

Thank you for your kind words.
I'm glad you laughed. When I make these little movies I'm trying to find bits of common experience.
Another thing that motivates me to tell stories about what it was like for me is because I don't see the lives of my friends and me on screen. In the 80s almost everyone seemed to have a crappy hourly-wage job, went to the bar every night, played in leagues for fun and dates, and got all their news at the club. But if researchers from outer space looked at movies about butches.... I'm not sure they'd know they exist. There's Queen Latifah in "Set It Off." Another film in the SQIFF Queer Women In Love series, "Stud Life."
What are others?!

Deborah* 10-16-2017 01:40 AM

Hurricane Ophelia - Scotland

I hope everyone in Scotland staysafe in the hurricane which BBC online says will arrive at 02:00 Tuesday. Please be careful. Please hurry and get food, etc. very soon. The winds are predicted to be 130km/h.

Deborah