Butch Femme Planet

Butch Femme Planet (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/index.php)
-   Thinking Harder (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=134)
-   -   *,\'(;-)/.?!:"... (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2907)

Nat 03-04-2011 01:51 PM

*,\'(;-)/.?!:"...

Isn't it neat (or possibly horrifying) how punctuation rules and usage seem to be changing so rapidly over the last decade?

Anyway, this is the punctuation thread. :) And spaces are fine to discuss here too.

Mister Bent 03-04-2011 01:53 PM

Long live the ellipsis!

The_Lady_Snow 03-04-2011 01:58 PM

I thought maybe it was a pretend cussing thread.

%#*%£!

I'm terrible with punctuation I'm sorry:(

Martina 03-04-2011 03:17 PM

My housemate, a high school English teacher, does not use or teach the use of commas before coordinating conjunctions.

:eyebrow:

Deborah 03-04-2011 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by June (Post 294983)
Hi, my name is June and I am apostrophe challenged.

Hi June...we're glad you're here.

princessbelle 03-04-2011 04:13 PM

At my company, the computer system that we use doesn't allow for any punctuation except a period.

Nothing else at all. This has made me almost go postal a few times. Try writing down vital signs without a slash. We have to type 120 over 80. Stupid.

And forget trying to quote a patient. We have to say.... start quote blah blah blah end quote.

My company paid thousands of dollars for this program and if it were up to me they would get their & out of their () and FIX the freaking thing.

So, i miss using puntuation. This thread brings a tear to my eye.

Finally a place i can shout to the world.

I LOVE AND MISS YOU PUNCTUATION!!!!!!

Thank you for this wonderful thread. (f)

AtLast 03-04-2011 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Lady_Snow (Post 294985)
I thought maybe it was a pretend cussing thread.

%#*%£!

I'm terrible with punctuation I'm sorry:(

LOL..... I'm with you! And will always take poetic license with punctuation.

:|

daisygrrl 03-04-2011 06:32 PM

I love, love punctuation--especially the dash ;-) Oh, and a well placed semicolon makes me giddy. I know, I know: I'm a nerd :glasses:

Language is a living entity, so it only stands to reason that punctuation will fluctuate in its usage, too. I always remind my students that they should use punctuation as a tool to enhance clarity. Rules, which change all the time--be damned :koolaid: Writing can be fun, damn-it!

rlin 03-04-2011 06:34 PM

im with the mister bent... all anyone needs is the ellipsis... it gives you time to breathe when you read....possession is implied mostly anyway... the rest is just for looks...

hpychick 03-04-2011 06:40 PM

Pitter Patter

Oh, I do believe you've made my heart go pitter-patter! In the age of texting and emoticon-ing, it seems the art of true writing (and proper form) has been lost!

I can now die in peace, knowing that someone out there loves punctuation like I do!

<3

WolfyOne 03-04-2011 06:51 PM

*raises hand* I am bad with punctuation

Wow, I feel much better now that I got that out

Does this mean I'm going to have to start ending my sentences with a period?

If June is challenged by ', I just want to say with me, it's pure laziness

Mister Bent 03-04-2011 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rlin (Post 295156)
im with the mister bent... all anyone needs is the ellipsis... it gives you time to breathe when you read....possession is implied mostly anyway... the rest is just for looks...

Sweet baby jesus in lucite, then you go and defile it!

The ellipsis is three (3) dots, not 4 (except when the ellipsis is used in place of omitted words at the end of a sentence, or the beginning of a sentence following another, where in both cases a period is also employed), not 5, not 17.

It is not comprised of commas, or any other string or combination of punctuation marks.

Some other liberties with ellipses I can tolerate (proper grammatical usage, even - see above), but do not alter the beauty of its simple form.

I beg of thee.

Mister Bent 03-04-2011 07:28 PM

Instigator.

Quote:

Originally Posted by June (Post 295184)
I recently went through a spate of reading a lot of Gertrude Stein, who is infamous for her lack of commas and punctuation in general.

Even though I think she was kind of a fascinating wack job, I felt a certain kindred spirit-ness with her.

Spell check that, Mr. Bent.

Spirit-ness (c)

Well, some might spell it "whack" job. But this thread is about punctuation, Juney, so I will remain on seated hands with regard to the atrocities of spelling found within.

daisygrrl 03-04-2011 07:29 PM

Ya know, I think that people are just too worried about "being wrong" with punctuation (or grammar) because of the mean-ole-English-teacher stereotype (and lived experiences).

Laziness is one thing, but I think that even text-messaging is its own, valid language (just sayin').

BTW: I adore Stein.

girl_dee 03-04-2011 07:33 PM

I am sure nothing compares to the complete overuse of the punctuation mark.

I find this to be mostly true on forums like Facebook.

It just annoys the HELL out of me !!!!!! oh wait...

Diva 03-04-2011 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mister Bent (Post 295187)
Sweet baby jesus in lucite, then you go and defile it!

The ellipsis is three (3) dots, not 4 (except when the ellipsis is used in place of omitted words at the end of a sentence, or the beginning of a sentence following another, where in both cases a period is also employed), not 5, not 17.

It is not comprised of commas, or any other string or combination of punctuation marks.

Some other liberties with ellipses I can tolerate (proper grammatical usage, even - see above), but do not alter the beauty of its simple form.

I beg of thee.

While Your begging is moderately hot, I shall use as many ellipsesi (did that make You twitch, Mr. B?) as I wish........as using said dots is how I speak in real time....like a continuing thought.........that gets all stirred up on occasion.......... and I use that time.............to reorganize said thought(s) and continue spewing.

My grammar is sparkly.

daisygrrl 03-04-2011 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sassy_girl (Post 295200)
I am sure nothing compares to the complete overuse of the punctuation mark.

I find this to be mostly true on forums like Facebook.

It just annoys the HELL out of me !!!!!! oh wait...

I totally relate...the overuse of exclamation marks makes me feel like I need to step back :vigil:

Mister Bent 03-04-2011 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diva (Post 295202)
While Your begging is moderately hot, I shall use as many ellipsesi (did that make You twitch, Mr. B?) as I wish........as using said dots is how I speak in real time....like a continuing thought.........that gets all stirred up on occasion.......... and I use that time.............to reorganize said thought(s) and continue spewing.

My grammar is sparkly.

It's going to be like that is it? I refuse to believe you use dots in speech in real time. What you do is pause, which is not the intended use of ellipses. My goat will not be gotten, lady!