Butch Femme Planet

Butch Femme Planet (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/index.php)
-   The Fluffy Stuff: Flirting, Humor, Chat (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Is it BAD art if you love it? (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3714)

LeftWriteFemme 08-23-2011 07:04 AM

Is it BAD art if you love it?

They say beauty is in the eye of the beholder; is appreciation in the heart of the appreciator? :vigil:

Please tell me your secret art preferences......I promise not to tell a soul! :canadian:

Oh, and please take the poll! :praying:

Daktari 08-23-2011 07:06 AM

Is it bad art or art you just don't like?

Gemme 08-23-2011 08:09 AM

I love tinkering with found items and will add them to my artistic endeavors. I'm sure others would just look at it and wonder why someone stuck junk in there, but it's kind of cool to me.

LeftWriteFemme 08-23-2011 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Incubus (Post 403712)
Is it bad art or art you just don't like?

If I like it does that make it GOOD art?

Apocalipstic 08-23-2011 08:14 AM

I think so.

Art is everywhere and if it's pleasing to you, then it is good art.

Daktari 08-23-2011 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeftWriteFemme (Post 403750)
If I like it does that make it GOOD art?

No! :fart:

Sparkle 08-23-2011 10:05 AM

<--- "This is Art"

(i have a t-shirt that says that) :)

My opinion:

Art is art regardless of whether it is appreciated or not.

Art is art whether you/I/she or he deems it good or bad.

Art is sometimes art (or becomes art) despite not being created with that intent or for that purpose, despite the fact that most standard dictionaries define it as the product of an intentional act of creation.

Leo Tolstoy wrote an essay in 1896, I agree with many of his points, here is a decent summation snipped

"Leo Tolstoy’s What is Art? (1896) is a treatise concerning the nature and purpose of art, describing how art can express moral values. Tolstoy does not define art in terms of its ability to express form and beauty, but instead defines art in terms of its ability to communicate concepts of morality. For Tolstoy, aesthetic values are defined by moral values.

According to Tolstoy, art cannot be defined as an activity which produces beauty. Beauty cannot be defined objectively, and therefore cannot be used as a criterion to define what is, or is not, art. The aim of art is not merely to produce beauty, or to provide pleasure, enjoyment, or entertainment. Art is a means of communication, and is an important means of expression of any experience, or of any aspect of the human condition.

Tolstoy defines art as an expression of a feeling or experience in such a way that the audience to whom the art is directed can share that feeling or experience. Art does not belong to any particular class of society. To limit the subject matter of art to the experiences of a particular class of society is to deny that art can be important for all of society. Tolstoy criticizes the belief that art is only relevant to a particular class of society, saying that this is a misconception which can lead to obscurity and decadence in art.

According to Tolstoy, good art is intelligible and comprehensible. Bad art is unintelligible and incomprehensible. The more that art restricts itself to a particular audience, the more obscure and incomprehensible it becomes to people outside that particular audience. Good art is not confusing and incomprehensible to most people. To the contrary, good art can communicate its meaning to most people, because it expresses its meaning in a way which can be understood by everyone."

Tommi 08-23-2011 10:44 AM

Love your poll ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeftWriteFemme (Post 403709)
They say beauty is in the eye of the beholder; is appreciation in the heart of the appreciator? :vigil:

Please tell me your secret art preferences......I promise not to tell a soul! :canadian:

Oh, and please take the poll! :praying:

Only an Outsider Artist can raise a poll like this
:) :artist:

I do have a velvet tiger from a journey to Tijuna, in the garage now~beside Elvis--->

Art is .~..subscribing so I can post later.

My car is ready.:praying: with the bill.....
No, my car doesn't have a bil
l. ;)

weatherboi 08-23-2011 12:32 PM

One preference!

http://www.museumofbadart.org/

it is all relative to me

AlphaDrug 08-24-2011 10:25 AM

:moonstars: I'm a HUGE Salvidor Dali fan, I even have a clock melting in my kitchen. ^_^

MissItalianDiva 08-24-2011 10:35 AM

I agree with some previous comments here.

Art is just that Art. I think Art definitely is one of those things where the beauty is in the eye of the beholder. There are no standards of what constitutes art and what doesn't.

I have some pretty out there pieces in my home that I know a lot of people don't "get" or appreciate but to me they resonate and I connect with them. So while they are in no way shape or form mainstream I consider them beautiful pieces.

dark_crystal 08-24-2011 11:51 AM

I am of two minds on the subject.

In the first place, this quote from Thomas Kinkade makes me feel quite stabby:

There's been million-seller books and million-seller CDs. But there hasn't been, until now, million-seller art. We have found a way to bring to millions of people, an art that they can understand.

On the other hand, having been through a very formal fine arts conservatory program, it was my experience that art which is considered "capital "a" Art," as in the Fine Art that makes it into NYC galleries and the Venice Biennale, is largely unintelligible to 99.99% of the population.

Art that only makes sense to people who have been through very formal fine arts conservatory programs also makes me feel stabby

i don't like the pandering Thomas Kinkade does, but i don't like that ivory tower crap either.

ETA: all of my toys are in dioramas. the most awesomely ridiculous being the three cabbage patch kids sitting naked in a galvanized tub, up to their chins in bubbles painstakingly cut from an entire roll of bubblewrap

Gráinne 08-24-2011 02:50 PM

I confess I LIKED some of the art in the Museum of Bad Art link!

The problem with art, music, literature is, of course, that someone's trash is another's treasure. How do you define "bad"-that it doesn't follow the rules of how to draw, uses the "wrong" colors, or is just weird? Picasso was weird for his time, and obviously has many fans today.

Same with literature and music-what's cutting edge at one time was probably labeled bad, immoral, or both.

In the eye of the beholder, and all that ;)

deb_U_taunt 08-24-2011 03:41 PM

I am guilty of owning 'bad' art.
I have older tapestries of dogs playing poker and billards. I have a bronze mermaid lamp, her nipples light, too. I have a large spoon and fork hanging in my kitchen, present from a friends grandma.
I have a few cheese pieces around the house.

Reader 08-24-2011 03:57 PM

Is any art bad? Isn't "bad art" an oxymoron?

:|

Dean Thoreau 08-24-2011 04:20 PM

Is it a question of being good or bad art or just if it is
ART?

I mean some stuff..u just have to wonder.....
many years ago when my one daughter was aobut 5 we went to this gallery opening and there in the corner was about 30 computer monitors..in a pile....
my daughter says oh mommy look at the mess......the artist got kind of upset, seems it was an installation.....(I was the one writing the review on it for a local paper)....and quoted my daughter.... :)

Just as beauty is in the eye of the beholder, I believe art is as well......
My style taste,,,is different than yours..thank goodness there are different forms, types and genres of it so we all can hang what we think is wonderful and beautiful on our walls..or in my case...put on my lawn.....
Dont get art cause u think it is what u are supposed to like...then it truly is bad art..cause it is inhibiting your self excpression throu the style of art you truly love.

dark_crystal 08-24-2011 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Debby (Post 404860)
I have older tapestries of dogs playing poker and billards. I have a bronze mermaid lamp, her nipples light, too. I have a large spoon and fork hanging in my kitchen

Dean Thoreau 08-24-2011 05:41 PM

Debby!!! I love those giant forks and spoons..I saw some at Pier one the other day....jen and I both wanted them actually if they go on sale they will probably be in our kitchen....I dont like to pay full price.......I keep hoping one of the auctions i go to will have some.....

T4Texas 08-24-2011 06:48 PM

I don't think theres any such thing as bad art. Even stick people constitute art as seen on the back windows of so many cars today expressing the numbers and types of family members that ride in them. You can have ten people looking at a painting and they will all give you a different critique of it. Art is whatever moves you, really moves you. Touches a place inside you, makes you want to cry, or makes you think "that's so cool I want to hang it on my wall". That's art.

WolfyOne 08-24-2011 07:01 PM

If all I could draw was stick figures, it would be MY art and I'd think it to be good no matter what others thought or think.

Basically, if I create it and call it ART, it's art
It is as you say, my eye of beauty
Besides, art can take on many forms