Butch Femme Planet

Butch Femme Planet (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/index.php)
-   Current Affairs/World Issues/Science And History (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=133)
-   -   Anyone besides me boycotting BP? (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1566)

iamkeri1 06-08-2010 09:42 PM

Anyone besides me boycotting BP?

Just because?

Oily Smooches,
Keri

Rockinonahigh 06-08-2010 09:49 PM

I wouldnt buy a thing from bp..they have to much anyway.

chefhottie25 06-08-2010 10:04 PM

I drove an extra 2 blocks to get my gas today...just to avoid giving my money to BP. The company executives should be charged with some type of crime.

Linus 06-09-2010 04:55 AM

I watched a news piece the other day about boycotting BP. What's interesting is this: the gas stations are owned by local small individuals (not BP). The gas that's sold may or may not come from BP. If you go elsewhere that gas could be from BP. Additionally if you buy anything that has plastic on it, in it or around it, it could very well be from BP.

I think, however, that boycotting the local BP station doesn't hurt BP but hurts that small independent owner.

Food for thought?

betenoire 06-09-2010 05:02 AM

If more people would sell their cars and explore alternate modes of getting around we wouldn't be having this problem to begin with.

We are a -really- lazy culture full of really lazy people.

NJFemmie 06-09-2010 06:33 AM

I boycotted Exxon (and still do) and now, BP (and probably always will now).
There are very few BP stations where I live, and every time I pass one these days, not one single person is gassing up there. Seems like I am not the only one.

Random 06-09-2010 07:03 AM

Nope..

But I don't think I've ever used a BP in my life...

My ex husband was a mechanic... He told me that their gas wasn't good for cars.. Being that I know nothing ( besides a weird dream of stripping down and rebuilding a 66 Ford Falcon Wagon) have no interest in learning about cars.. I trust a professional opionion...

I try to use local mom and pops when I can and Kum and Go's when I can't.. (Local Chain)

waxnrope 06-09-2010 07:03 AM

while I agree that alternative (to oil) transportation is one solution to our over dependency on oil, some of us with disabilities have limited choices about transportation, and are not "lazy." even electric cars, with small footprints, are difficult for some as they are too small and entry/exit is difficult. and, yeah, the horse and buggy's not an option (for ME).

Kobi 06-09-2010 07:48 AM

BP is the 4th largest company in the world. It's reach is well beyond gas stations. It's products include the raw materials involved in the production of other products. From energy i.e. gas, fuels, solar energy, wind farms: to aromatics and acetyls i.e raw materials that go into the bottles we drink, the clothes we wear, paint, painkillers and lipstick, the food we eat, the electronics we use, carpeting: etc asphalt products; industrial lubricants i.e. castrol products; arco aluminum etc. It is simply amazing. And a wee bit scary.

Reminds me of the bailout companies that were too big or their reach too global to be allowed to fail.

Rufusboi 06-09-2010 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Linus (Post 126262)
I watched a news piece the other day about boycotting BP. What's interesting is this: the gas stations are owned by local small individuals (not BP). The gas that's sold may or may not come from BP. If you go elsewhere that gas could be from BP. Additionally if you buy anything that has plastic on it, in it or around it, it could very well be from BP.

I think, however, that boycotting the local BP station doesn't hurt BP but hurts that small independent owner.

Food for thought?

Linus - I worked for BP for many years. What you said above is correct. The BP branded stations are owned by local business people and individuals. Its usually a franchise. You are hurting the owner, not BP. BP, years ago, bought up a shit load of gas stations, fixed them up and sold them (I was part of the rebranding and fix up around the country). Then these stations were sold in blocks of 7 or 8 to local business groups/investors. Then these stations would be rebranded under the name they wanted. But the deal was they had to buy BP gas.

So it is no longer possible to tell who has BP gas and who doesn't. So while you pass by the BP branded station and hurt the individual owner, you are going down the street to another station and still purchasing BP gas. Boycotting BP will do absolutely no good. Even if you see a tanker truck with the name of the gas station on it, it is still no guarantee that it is NOT BP gasoline. Pretty much they have infiltrated the entire nation and convenience store network. BP also bought up the whole state of FLorida and made deals to supply to Florida stations. Now this was a few years ago and things might have changed, but somehow I doubt it. So if you live in Florida, I am about 90% sure you have BP gas in your tank.

Local individual gas station owners do well to make about a dime profit per gallon. They make their money on the hyper marked up sodas, chips and candy.

Oh and BP built the Alaska pipeline. And they don't just own gas. You have BP products in your house that you don't even know about.

So go ahead and boycott but it won't do any good. BP has a strong presence in the gasoline market in the US. Think of all the multinational corporation horror story and conspiracy theories you have ever heard of and then apply them to BP.

Rufus

Plato 06-09-2010 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by betenoire (Post 126265)
If more people would sell their cars and explore alternate modes of getting around we wouldn't be having this problem to begin with.

Add GM to the list because of THIS!!

p.s. Emphasize REALLY Lazy ....
Of course the U.S. is Faaarr behind Canada with having efficient mass transportation. Maybe someday ....

betenoire 06-09-2010 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by waxnrope (Post 126290)
while I agree that alternative (to oil) transportation is one solution to our over dependency on oil, some of us with disabilities have limited choices about transportation, and are not "lazy." even electric cars, with small footprints, are difficult for some as they are too small and entry/exit is difficult. and, yeah, the horse and buggy's not an option (for ME).

I was thinking in terms of public/mass transit, not in terms of smart cars and hybrids and such.

Of course I realise that you (like everybody else) are basically at the mercy of the city/town you live in when it comes to this - but I really do see taking the bus as the best option for just about everybody.

Most places I have been (even the crappy town of 30k people that I live in currently) have accessible public transit. If a town doesn't have accessible transit (I'm talking about buses that kneel, have ramps, have seats that fold back so wheelchairs can fit, q-straint systems in place, etc) the town will -get- accessible transit if enough people make enough of a fuss.

Of course it is less convenient than owning a car, but it's certainly not unmanageable. People (in urban areas) who drive are CHOOSING to drive, they are certainly not forced to do so. I haven't had a car in about 8 years and I've gotten by just fine.

(Everything I said above applies only to people living in urban and suburban areas. Of course I get that if you live in a rural area there is no public transit. )

Enchantress 06-09-2010 12:26 PM

Please remember that there are other names that are in direct association with BP that need to be boycotted as well:

Safeway gas
Arco
am/pm
Castrol oil
Amoco
Wild Bean Cafe

(there may be others)

Just_G 06-09-2010 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by betenoire (Post 126265)

While I completely understand what you are saying....I would say that a lot of people that have cars have them because they could not make a living without them. I have an SUV...I HAVE to have a big vehicle for deliveries at one job, hauling tools for a second job, and to haul DJing equipment for a third job that I pick up extra shifts on when I can...let alone going to school. (god knows I can't be tardy or late for that because the public transportation stops 10 blocks from the school's front door...quite a jog really)

I would love to have public transportation of some sort where I live, but I would spend a majority of my day waiting between busses and running from one block to another because the system sucks so bad here.

I am also sure people wouldn't want to have to wait for me to load/unload all of my shit onto the bus every day....wouldn't that be a sight!?

Sometimes it is not a lazy decision, but one of necessity. :blink:

As far as boycotting BP....nope, not doing it for the simple reason that Linus stated above. The employees there are just trying to get by and make a living on minimum wage like a lot of us...it's not THEIR fault. Heads need to roll at BP...things need to happen on the big stage, not at the little stations.

Just my .02

Enchantress 06-09-2010 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by betenoire (Post 126435)
I was thinking in terms of public/mass transit, not in terms of smart cars and hybrids and such.

Of course I realise that you (like everybody else) are basically at the mercy of the city/town you live in when it comes to this - but I really do see taking the bus as the best option for just about everybody.

Most places I have been (even the crappy town of 30k people that I live in currently) have accessible public transit. If a town doesn't have accessible transit (I'm talking about buses that kneel, have ramps, have seats that fold back so wheelchairs can fit, q-straint systems in place, etc) the town will -get- accessible transit if enough people make enough of a fuss.

Of course it is less convenient than owning a car, but it's certainly not unmanageable. People (in urban areas) who drive are CHOOSING to drive, they are certainly not forced to do so. I haven't had a car in about 8 years and I've gotten by just fine.

(Everything I said above applies only to people living in urban and suburban areas. Of course I get that if you live in a rural area there is no public transit. )

I must agree with you.

When I lived in the PNW (Portland to be exact), I did not have a car (I had donated it to the Cancer Society before moving there).

I had only taken a bus once in my life (I think I was ten) and I did not like it. Therefore, I had always driven. I never would have imagined that I could live without a vehicle.

Yet, I did just that(and thrived).

To its credit, Portland has excellent public transit and many there take it (down to the CEO's of companies). One does need to tailor their life a bit when doing so, however. But as Betenoire stated it is not unmanageable (i.e. grocery shopping a couple of times a week ala the European way instead of weekly).

I love my car, but as a visitor (yep, visitor for we don't own it) here on Earth, I would gladly give up (Yes, I know it would be very difficult) cars and oil based products to clean up the environment.

It scares me to think where we (as a society) will be in 20 years if our dependence on such products continues. It's only bound to get worse.

As for not boycotting BP, I feel that it's our duty to do so. I understand that there are individuals who will be impacted. But by not standing up, we are, for all intents and purposes, telling them (BP) that we don't really care.

Actions (as they say) speak louder than words

Enchantress 06-09-2010 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kobi (Post 126309)
BP is the 4th largest company in the world. It's reach is well beyond gas stations. It's products include the raw materials involved in the production of other products. From energy i.e. gas, fuels, solar energy, wind farms: to aromatics and acetyls i.e raw materials that go into the bottles we drink, the clothes we wear, paint, painkillers and lipstick, the food we eat, the electronics we use, carpeting: etc asphalt products; industrial lubricants i.e. castrol products; arco aluminum etc. It is simply amazing. And a wee bit scary.

Reminds me of the bailout companies that were too big or their reach too global to be allowed to fail.

It's time that we (universally) became informed buyers. It's time to choose positive impact over negative. It's time to get off of our ever growing rear ends!

I want a bike for my birthday. It's a gift not only for the environment but for my heart and soul as well.

Less is (always) more.

Toughy 06-09-2010 03:54 PM

Global 500 2009: Top Performers:

ALL of them are oil companies

1. Exxon
2. Gazprom
3. Royal Dutch Shell
4. Chevron
5. BP
6. Petrobras

followed by

7. Microsoft
8. General Electric
9. Nestle
10. Industrial and Commercial Bank of China

http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortu...its/index.html

boycotting big oil is like pissing in the wind......it gets all over you when you do...and as someone pointed out it hurts small business folks and has no impact at all on any big oil company

-------
Concerning selling your car...........yeah right.....how am I gonna get to work...........lets see it would take me about 1.5 hours one way by bus......it takes 20 minutes by car.

I do however take public transit or carpool about 90% of the time when I go into the City (San Francisco) from home (Oakland). I do drive the 2 miles to the BART station. If I know I am going to be past midnight I have to take my car (or carpool if possible) as BART stops running at midnight.

When I lived in the City I rarely ever drove my truck.

How about those folks who live where no public transit exists?

Better yet why not put the screws to your government and change our energy policy.......electric cars, bio-diesel would be a first start.

Linus 06-09-2010 04:01 PM

I used to bike to and from work when I lived in Toronto (from downtown to York University -- taking mostly Yonge Street and dealing will all sorts of traffic). It was an hour and 20 to the university and 45 min back (all downhill back).

To this day I do not have a driver's license. I've never had one. And I am now forced to get one because this country lives by the car and dies by the car for the sake of convenience of the individual and not society (IMO).

MsDemeanor 06-09-2010 04:08 PM

Lazy people? Seriously? We have a governor who touts himself as "green", then slashes public transportation budgets every year - green my ass. State and federal governments funnel money in to highways and strip it from transit. Can't use mass transit if it isn't there. We had to drive in to the City last night; I'd love to have taken the ferry, but the ferry doesn't run at night. When I lived in LA, there were lots of buses, but the schedules were fucked up. My 75 minute bus commute became a 10 minute drive when I got a car. Don't even get me started on my years of commuting by bus in college, where - in both directions - the bus I needed to transfer to came through the intersection five minutes before the bus I started on. 90 minutes on the bus, 30 minutes in a car. I had to do that bus shit five days a week for two years until I could afford a car.

One a personal level, the area where I live has decent mass transit, but it's a mile up a steep hill to my home from the nearest bus stop. From that bus stop, it's only two miles to the area where I do most of my shopping. Not wanting to tote bags of dog food and groceries and supplies on to a bus for a two mile ride and then carry them on foot up a steep mile isn't lazy.

BTW, these are all in urban areas....

sharkchomp 06-09-2010 04:14 PM

There's alot to be said about this subject. Perhaps if boycotting BP isn't a viable solution then perhaps we send letters to our government officials demanding that they make regulatory changes concerning these huge corporations.

It's interesting to me that when automobiles were first being massed produced they averaged about 10 mpg. Hmmmm. In 100 years we have been smart enough to go to the moon and back, create an atomic and hydrogen bomb and many other super inventions but we can't design an engine to get more than 50 or 60 mpg (at best). It seems like the automakers are partners with the oil companies to attempt to keep us oil dependant.

~~~shark~~~~~~~