Butch Femme Planet

Butch Femme Planet (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/index.php)
-   Careers, Work, Business (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=91)
-   -   WHAT IF QUESTIONS IN AN INTERVIEW (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7549)

Teddybear 08-20-2014 06:00 PM

WHAT IF QUESTIONS IN AN INTERVIEW

So today I was talking to a friend and we were talking about interviews and when the interviewer ask you what would you do if questions. So here is a question we were divided on so I want to ask you the reading public for YOUR opinion. There is no right or wrong answer to this for each person will most definitely have a reason one way or the other for why they answered it the way they do.

So here is the question: You have an issue your trying to fix for a customer by a certain deadline and your supervisor needs a report by the same deadline. What project do you finish first and why

~ocean 08-20-2014 06:02 PM

customers always come first ~

Orema 08-20-2014 06:07 PM

Customers' needs come first.

I base this on the companies where I've worked and on previous supervisors I've had.

cricket26 08-20-2014 06:08 PM

this is a trick question, meant to be impossible....

i would try to get both done on time and i if i could not i would ask for an extension from the customer...

sorry....

Teddybear 08-20-2014 06:08 PM

i too felt that the customer is always first for they are the ones who really sign our paychecks NOT the supervisor no matter what they may act like

DapperButch 08-20-2014 06:20 PM

Tell your supervisor the position you are now in and ask him which thing he wants completed on time. What the customer wants or what he wants.

Most likely he will say to complete the task for the client. He will look like an ass if he doesn't. However, if he says do his task then just explain to your customer something came up and you will not be able to complete on time. You should always complete what supervisor wants (unless it is harmful, crazy, etc). Then look for another job because you don't like your supervisor's approach to customer service.

MsTinkerbelly 08-20-2014 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DapperButch (Post 929575)
Tell your supervisor the position you are now in and ask him which thing he wants completed on time. What the customer wants or what he wants.

Most likely he will say to complete the task for the client. He will look like an ass if he doesn't. However, if he says do his task then just explain to your customer something came up and you will not be able to complete on time. You should always complete what supervisor wants (unless it is harmful, crazy, etc). Then look for another job because you don't like your supervisor's approach to customer service.

Exactly right!

Breathless 08-20-2014 10:02 PM

My answer would be to communicate. How is your supervisor to know that you have other obligations by the same deadline? So I would listen to what the supervisor is requesting, giving a moment of your time and attention, then present the problem of, I currently have something else, of a urgent nature on my plate that requires my urgent attention, also needing to be completed within the same time line. This is how long I anticipate 'this' task to take.. and put the ball in their court. Sometimes, just mentioning that you have another obligation, and would like to assist with this task.. giving the other person (supervisor) the option to make other decisions too.. is the best way to go about it. Promise is your word, and your customer is extremely important, for obvious reasons..

Teddybear 08-21-2014 05:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Breathless (Post 929623)
My answer would be to communicate. How is your supervisor to know that you have other obligations by the same deadline? So I would listen to what the supervisor is requesting, giving a moment of your time and attention, then present the problem of, I currently have something else, of a urgent nature on my plate that requires my urgent attention, also needing to be completed within the same time line. This is how long I anticipate 'this' task to take.. and put the ball in their court. Sometimes, just mentioning that you have another obligation, and would like to assist with this task.. giving the other person (supervisor) the option to make other decisions too.. is the best way to go about it. Promise is your word, and your customer is extremely important, for obvious reasons..

I agree and said so, I was trying not to give how i felt in the op cause i didnt want to sway anyone

Thanks everyine for aanswering

*Anya* 08-21-2014 08:14 AM

Having previously worked for large, for-profit companies; I have a little different take.

Your boss is your first and best customer.

Without the boss happy and satisfied with your work, you may not have that job.

Or that customer.

He probably needs that report for his/her bosses and on up the chain of command.

To boss: Are you able to tell me a little more about what is needed in the report and how you would like the data presented?

I am also working on that big customer's deadline. It is the same date.

Boss: I understand that, just get them both done.

I have had a variation on the scenario almost everywhere I have worked.

Somehow, you get them both done but the boss always gets his report.

First.

cricket26 08-21-2014 07:24 PM

of course the customer is priority, saying that i try to remember that it is not a perfect world, and there will be times when i may have demands on my time from more than one person...juggling situations like this with finesse can be an important part of my job...hence a question like this can give the interviewer an insight to my personality and how i handle stress...so the answer is as complicated as the situation...but...never let them see you sweat :)