Butch Femme Planet

Butch Femme Planet (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/index.php)
-   Body Beauty, Lifestyles (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=124)
-   -   Talk about your exercise experience today (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6401)

nycfem 03-07-2013 08:14 PM

Talk about your exercise experience today

Title is self-explanatory. And it's fine for posts to be boring and about the whole experience, not just the exercise.

Here's my exercise experience today (1 hour):

After work I went to the gym. It was snowing and raining. I used an elliptical-like cardio machine called the Arc Trainer for 45 minutes. While on it, I watched a reality show called "LA Shrinks" (or something like that) about therapists' problems and their sessions with clients. It seems like an unethical show, and I had a hard time getting into it because I didn't find anyone on it very likable. After that I went to a mat and did stretching, yoga poses, and weight lifting for 15 minutes. During that I listened to a a really annoying, loud young female trainer and one of her older man-clients. They were spending most of the time talking about their personal lives. I was glad that she spoke loud and clearly because it gave me something to listen to, and they're conversation was so inappropriate (She was kind of giving him a paid "girlfriend experience" as they say) that it was like a reality show. It was a really nice time at the gym today.

JustBeingMe 03-07-2013 08:53 PM

My walking has not been able to do on my mom's treadmill. the motor on it won't run while I am on it, it keeps stopping. i think it's time to trash the thing because the motor is burned out. I don't live near any gyms nor could I afford a membership and it's just too freaking cold most days to go out and walk. I just do my stretching exercises for my back and legs to keep them moving and as pain free as I can get them til it's warm enough to go out and walk. My grandmother has a treadmill in her shed she doesn't use so I am going to ask her if I can use it when I visit her in June. I am limited on my ability to walk, I can barely handle 30 mins until the pain starts setting in. I have pushed myself for 45 mins walking and it really starts to hurt. I just have to keep pushing my pain level tolerance I guess. I have 3 bad discs in my back and permanent nerve damage in both legs to my toes starting at my lower back.
I am having trouble being motivated since the damn treadmill quit working right. I am not doing what I need to do walking wise right now. I know I am bad at being motivated, but being out in the cold damp weather is really painful for me, that's why i want it to warm up before I venture outdoors to walk. I have a route that I know is just over a mile and I plan on walking it when the weather is better.
I need the support here to be more motivated to do what I need to do to take better care of my strength in my muscles and walking helps me lose weight too.

Thanks for starting this thread, NY. I appreciate it. I am going to subscribe to it for support.

jac 03-07-2013 09:32 PM

I can see that this is going to be a rather inspiring thread. Starting tomorrow, I will play too!! :D

Keeping in mind I will be starting out slow and picking up thr pace as my legs begin to limber up more... Gotta work out those arthritis kinks for the spring/summer, right? ;)

JustBeingMe 03-07-2013 10:04 PM

I live in a tiny HEE HAW type town in Texas, no malls to walk in or anything. There is Nothing here to do whatsoever. I live here because I have to help my mom when she needs to go to the doctor, issues with her house needing repairs, etc. So I am limited on what resources I have available. The towns in the surrounding areas don't have anything either as far as being able to have resources. Thanks for the effort Jac and the reps.
I appreciate everything. I wish I did have other resources available or the ability to afford a membership somewhere. I am on a fixed disability income and it sucks big ones.
It's getting colder by the weekend and rain in the forecast, so no walking this weekend for sure. Another cold front is heading inward from the West coast via Canada etc. Spring certainly isn't here yet. I wish it were warmer.

Ginger 03-08-2013 06:32 AM

I joined a really cheap gym in December. I used to pay literally 12 times as much for Crunch in my neighborhood. It's huge, with splashy purple and yellow decor, very decent new equipment, but no free weights, classes, trainers, or any of the high-end stuff—none of which I ever used.

Anyway, on the way home from work I get off the train, walk a block to my new gym, then use seven stationary weight machines (four sets, ten reps each at each machine).

Sometimes I change in the bathroom at work as I'm leaving at 5, so I can move in and out of the gym even more quickly. I always feel like I'm in a hurry to get home, which is where I want to be, 24/7, but alas it is not possible.

After I leave the gym I get back on the train, go a few more stops, and I'm home. I have some frozen grapes and relax for a few minutes, then I do 15 minutes on my exercycle, a beautiful, museum-quality (I saw one just like it at the Smithsonian, LOL!), Schwinn from the sixties that really kicks my ass.

I do that three times a week. Not as much as I used to do, but that's the pattern I'm in now.

DapperButch 03-08-2013 06:37 AM

Just started to get back on the exercise horse last week. Eliptical and free weights in my house.

Hiking several miles in the woods each weekend with the dog is standard year round, so I don't really count that. :dog:

Daktari 03-08-2013 06:43 AM

Got outta bed, lifted a tea cup :tea:

There may be more exercise later ;)

I'm a cyclist. I can't bear exercising in a closed room. I use my bike as transport as well as for joy riding. Not much need for 'dedicated' exercise when you ride a bike daily.

Kätzchen 03-08-2013 09:22 PM

I walk pretty much every single day;
but what works for me, on a consistent basis,
is jumping (or dancing) on an indoor trampoline:

I feel tons better when I make time for that
in my daily routine (for about an hour); but it depends on if my
neighbors are home or not (I live above them).
When I'm doing my exercise routine on the trampoline
I usually have the music turned up pretty loud (bass).
Mostly, if I can work up a sweat, fairly soon into my routine,
I keep that pace for about another half hour or so.
I've heard that a person can burn up more calories, if you
push yourself to maintain a routine of exercise for a period
of time - once you pass the threshold of breaking into a sweat.

cinnamongrrl 03-08-2013 09:32 PM

Does shoveling count?? Cuz it sure feels like it should.... lol

Sun 03-08-2013 10:34 PM

I want to get back into a gym but this seasonal work gig is kicking my butt hard. It feels like I am working out all day long at work. Especially upper body work. However being right hand dominant I am getting too much work on my right side and need to even it out. So free weights have now been added to my at home routine that includes, Yoga, sit ups, pushups and swimming when it is not thunder lighting and hail. Like today. Each day I walk between 2-6 miles just because I like to walk.

I need a bike. Another great workout.

Nice idea for a thread :)

Thank you.

Yes Cinn, shoveling counts.

MarquisdeShey 03-08-2013 10:38 PM

powerhour....jab cross upper cut hook... my favorite words so far.... repeat

Rockinonahigh 03-08-2013 10:41 PM

I didn't do a lot today cause Iw en't to the dentiss this morning,but I di play some one on one basket ball this afternoon as wello as play ball with my fur kids.I really need to get back in the grove of some real workouts like I did before all this nasty cold weather hit and turned my arthritis into a burning hell fire to deal with...the hotter it is the better I am,comeon summer.I have a gym membership but dont go like I should,my bad i gess its just so boreing even tho I mix it up.

jac 03-09-2013 12:04 AM

Today pulling two shifts I really haven't had time to get started so to speak. I walked to and from work twice which equals outt to approx. one mile. If I really broke down all the up and down I do to answer the door I could say that I do a good 50 squats easily. there's really no sitting still at work.

I want to get a pedometer (?) I would be interested to see just how many steps I take in a day at the shelter.

Tomorrow, or rather, today and after I get some sleep, I want to begin my stretching regiment. Slow and steady wins the race.

Hollylane 03-09-2013 12:06 AM

Oh NOooooOOooo....A thread where I can hold myself accountable...AHHHhhHHHHhhhhh...You are such a meanie! ;)

Great thread idea!

Kobi 03-09-2013 03:51 AM

Today was my full workout day at the gym. This means 30 minutes on the treadmill where I try and occupy my mind with tv, or going over stuff I have to do, or just people watching.

Today, I got to watch someone on the eliptical, in spandex, wearing a thong, with bubble butt buns of steel. Unfortunately, today was one of those days where all the women were on the treadmills and all the men were on the elipticals. :confused:

Then it is 35-40 minutes using the nautilus machines. Most of them are to maintain core strength. Some are just for muscle definition. Some just feel good.

Then it was back on the treamill for an extra 15 minutes to just cool down.

And, for some comic relief, I did a little Mother Nature resistance training, i.e. fighting the gale force winds to get back to my car.

Gemme 03-09-2013 06:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JustBeingMe (Post 763465)
My walking has not been able to do on my mom's treadmill. the motor on it won't run while I am on it, it keeps stopping. i think it's time to trash the thing because the motor is burned out. I don't live near any gyms nor could I afford a membership and it's just too freaking cold most days to go out and walk. I just do my stretching exercises for my back and legs to keep them moving and as pain free as I can get them til it's warm enough to go out and walk. My grandmother has a treadmill in her shed she doesn't use so I am going to ask her if I can use it when I visit her in June. I am limited on my ability to walk, I can barely handle 30 mins until the pain starts setting in. I have pushed myself for 45 mins walking and it really starts to hurt. I just have to keep pushing my pain level tolerance I guess. I have 3 bad discs in my back and permanent nerve damage in both legs to my toes starting at my lower back.
I am having trouble being motivated since the damn treadmill quit working right. I am not doing what I need to do walking wise right now. I know I am bad at being motivated, but being out in the cold damp weather is really painful for me, that's why i want it to warm up before I venture outdoors to walk. I have a route that I know is just over a mile and I plan on walking it when the weather is better.
I need the support here to be more motivated to do what I need to do to take better care of my strength in my muscles and walking helps me lose weight too.

Thanks for starting this thread, NY. I appreciate it. I am going to subscribe to it for support.

Just, walk around your home. Just design a path and walk it over and over until you've reached your pain point that says, "that's enough". That way, you will still get walking in, but you'll be in a warmer environment.

Where there is a will, there is a way.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cinnamongrrl563 (Post 764062)
Does shoveling count?? Cuz it sure feels like it should.... lol

Totally counts! It can burn, depending on weight and proportion, almost 300 calories per hour. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by jac (Post 764130)
Today pulling two shifts I really haven't had time to get started so to speak. I walked to and from work twice which equals outt to approx. one mile. If I really broke down all the up and down I do to answer the door I could say that I do a good 50 squats easily. there's really no sitting still at work.

I want to get a pedometer (?) I would be interested to see just how many steps I take in a day at the shelter.

Tomorrow, or rather, today and after I get some sleep, I want to begin my stretching regiment. Slow and steady wins the race.

I have a pedometer that my honey gave me and it's worked out well for a few days but yesterday, I think Mercury Retrograde was in full blast with it because I know I didn't get over 10,000 steps (the goal for most) in. I spent a lot of time in the office, so it should have just been about 4000-5000 steps. Hmmmm.

Now, for my exercise experience:

I'm not making the time to exercise outside of work, so my experiences involved picking up other people's litter and cleaning metal boxes and running back and forth doing this and that on the property.

Most days I don't mind it, but this weekend is going to have rain all weekend and everything will be muddy and mucky and I don't care for that. So, this weekend, in addition to my usual experiences cleaning up after others (complete with the usual internal grumbling about people being raised in barns and having no consideration for others whatsoever), I will most likely be mopping up muddy streaks on my light gray floors.

Grumbling will be optional, as always.

Island, I love PF! I've seen a few throwdowns when the Lunk Alarm goes off. When I was working out there, that was definitely an interesting experience to have while I was exercising.

MarquisdeShey 03-09-2013 07:51 AM

...coffee (x).... breakfast (x)...powerhour (in 45 min)

SuddenlyWestFemme 03-09-2013 09:36 AM

I tend to be a seasonal exerciser. I do Yoga in the park (3 days a week) from spring to early fall. I love outdoor yoga and there are so many free classes here in Seattle during the summer. In the winter, I have a lot of trouble getting motivated and it is the time I need it most (as double stuff Oreos call out to me louder in the winter.)

I did buy a groupon last month for "Beginning Pole Dance Lessons-a 6 week course." OMG... Can't believe I did that! But it is for everyday women and not for those trying to make a living at it. That would have been too intimidating!! exercising next to a bunch of sexy 20 year olds is NOT my idea of a good time.

I bought the groupon as I thought it might just be fun and an incentive to work out. Class begins on April 4th so I may not exercise much (besides walking my dog which I do everyday) until then. The class going on now was too full so i have to wait. But after the class ends... my free Yoga in the park will begin again. WooHoo!

Kelt 03-09-2013 12:00 PM

I do one basic thing every day. I go nordic walking in sand (no impact, I can't walk on hard surfaces so this is a must) for as long as I can, with stop offs to do basic streching/range of motion every 30-45 minutes.

There is the place where I stop off to refill my water bottle 3-4 times per walk, There are different heights of pilings, so I use them for modified bodyweight exercises every other day. If I just do 15 of each at each stop so I hardly even notice doing it and I get 45-60 reps of each done. I prefer that to actually 'working out'. I still get the basics in though.

I also very much prefer being active outdoors, the fresh air and sun do wonders for my mental health. Of course, having a moderate climate helps. Yep, very thankful for that.

:theisland:

P.S. Great thread idea!

JustBeingMe 03-09-2013 12:07 PM

Hmm, going to have to try what Gemmie suggested, walking around my apt. I need a pedometer to see how much I can walk in 30 mins.
Great idea for now, Gemme, thanks for the reminder I do have a place to walk indoors, lol. But I still can't wait til Spring and Summer are here. I prefer walking outdoors when it's warmer.