Butch Femme Planet

Butch Femme Planet (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/index.php)
-   Thinking Harder (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=134)
-   -   Why do we call the US America? (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=893)

Apocalipstic 02-18-2010 04:33 PM

Why do we call the US America?

The continent the Unites States of America resides within is called America.

North, South, Central AMERICA

When we call the USA America we disregard every other country in the Americas.

It is dismissive, privileged and probably racist as well.

People in many other countries in the Americas hate the US for this reason alone.

Why do we insist on this?

AtLast 02-18-2010 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by apocalipstic (Post 52586)
The continent the Unites States of America resides within is called America.

North, South, Central AMERICA

When we call the USA America we disregard every other country in the Americas.

It is dismissive, privileged and probably racist as well.

People in many other countries in the Americas hate the US for this reason alone.

Why do we insist on this?

I so agree with you, here. This has always bothered me. I think (but do not do so with certainty) that early maps drawn by Amerigo Vespucci of the American continent where the United States eventually were formed has something to do with this.

And, well.... priviledge, class and racism could be involved in the continuation of this.

Personally, I don't insist on this and usually feel that those that do are ignorant.

UofMfan 02-18-2010 04:46 PM

Yes we do. Meaning, those of us who live in the other Americas do hate the US for this.

I currently reside in South America (not Brazil though), and have made that mistake a few times, mainly due to the 25+ years that I lived in the States, shame on me!

It is arrogant, ignorant, rude and dismissive. It mainly comes from the feeling of entitlement/privilege that most US citizens share.

Bit 02-18-2010 04:50 PM

I think it's because people in Europe were used to calling it "America" long before there were any independent countries here, and all the other countries took different names... but since we were already being called "America," when the official name became the United States of America people just continued to use the shorter "America" out of habit.

I also think that our government over the past couple hundred years has been rather... arrogant (Manifest Destiny, anyone?)... and has probably encouraged this. Certainly in modern times our media and popular entertainment industries have encouraged it.

apretty 02-18-2010 04:56 PM

i say US. (as in, you-ess)

i think referring to 'america' sounds less than informed. for example: "this is america: _______(fill in the blank)/you need to speak english!/etc"

maybe it's regional.

Rufusboi 02-18-2010 04:58 PM

Why do people all over the world refer to those who reside in the United States of America as Americans? Why not refer to those residents as United Statesians? How do people in other countries of the continent of America refer to United Statesians, by the way? At least when they are trying to be polite? :toothache:

UofMfan 02-18-2010 05:00 PM

"I think it's because people in Europe were used to calling it "America" long before there were any independent countries here"

I am sorry, but I take offense to this part of your post. Where exactly is here?

And when Europeans called it America they were referring to the continent, not the US. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amerigo_Vespucci

Apocalipstic 02-18-2010 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UofMfan (Post 52600)
Yes we do. Meaning, those of us who live in the other Americas do hate the US for this.

I currently reside in South America (not Brazil though), and have made that mistake a few times, mainly due to the 25+ years that I lived in the States, shame on me!

It is arrogant, ignorant, rude and dismissive. It mainly comes from the feeling of entitlement/privilege that most US citizens share.

I grew up in Argentina, the HATE it that people from the US think they (we) are the only Americans.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bit (Post 52602)
I think it's because people in Europe were used to calling it "America" long before there were any independent countries here, and all the other countries took different names... but since we were already being called "America," when the official name became the United States of America people just continued to use the shorter "America" out of habit.

I also think that our government over the past couple hundred years has been rather... arrogant (Manifest Destiny, anyone?)... and has probably encouraged this. Certainly in modern times our media and popular entertainment industries have encouraged it.

Agreed! very arrogant.

When I visit Europe today, they say the US.

Expats say "the States"

Brazil is also "The United States of Brazil" , so it can be confusing?

Quote:

Originally Posted by apretty (Post 52608)
i say US. (as in, you-ess)

i think referring to 'america' sounds less than informed. for example: "this is america: _______(fill in the blank)/you need to speak english!/etc"

maybe it's regional.

I say it like you do, I think it is an important distinction.

Oh and "this is America, so you should".... is so incredibly arrogant there are no words.....

Thank you for mentioning that!

I don't automatically assume people who say America for the US do it on purpose, I try to think that maybe they have not thought about it?

Apocalipstic 02-18-2010 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rufusboi (Post 52612)
Why do people all over the world refer to those who reside in the United States of America as Americans? Why not refer to those residents as United Statesians? How do people in other countries of the continent of America refer to United Statesians, by the way? At least when they are trying to be polite? :toothache:

Everyone in the world does not refer to us as Americans.

I travel a lot, and many people do say Unites Stasians in their language, like Spanish for example.

Estados Unidenses in Spanish speaking South America, or Norte Americanos which does not say what country.

In Europe I hear US.

suebee 02-18-2010 05:09 PM

On "American" sites I use the term American for brevity and to simplify things. I've used the term "United Statsians" for a couple of decades now. What little I've heard has led me to believe it's a much bigger deal in South America than in North America. Canada is a pretty easy-going country. We don't get riled up about the smaller things in life, but I don't believe that the term "American" should apply to only people from the United States. Not a BIG deal, just a little one, but yes - I do believe that there are a multitude of little deals that give the world the impression that the United States is arrogant. Not necessarily individual people, but the country as a whole.

Apocalipstic 02-18-2010 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UofMfan (Post 52615)
"I think it's because people in Europe were used to calling it "America" long before there were any independent countries here"

I am sorry, but I take offense to this part of your post. Where exactly is here?

And when Europeans called it America they were referring to the continent, not the US. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amerigo_Vespucci

Maybe before there were individual countries?

Apocalipstic 02-18-2010 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cybersuebee (Post 52622)
On "American" sites I use the term American for brevity and to simplify things. I've used the term "United Statsians" for a couple of decades now. What little I've heard has led me to believe it's a much bigger deal in South America than in North America. Canada is a pretty easy-going country. We don't get riled up about the smaller things in life, but I don't believe that the term "American" should apply to only people from the United States. Not a BIG deal, just a little one, but yes - I do believe that there are a multitude of little deals that give the world the impression that the United States is arrogant. Not necessarily individual people, but the country as a whole.

So, South American's are uptight for resenting US citizens feeling like we deserve to be the only American's?

Mexico is kind of in North America too.

suebee 02-18-2010 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by apocalipstic (Post 52628)
So, South American's are uptight for resenting US citizens feeling like we deserve to be the only American's?

Mexico is kind of in North America too.

I'm not sure what you're saying here. I don't know about Mexico so I didn't speak about it.

Melissa 02-18-2010 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by apocalipstic (Post 52620)
Everyone in the world does not refer to us as Americans.

I travel a lot, and many people do say Unites Stasians in their language, like Spanish for example.

Estados Unidenses in Spanish speaking South America, or Norte Americanos which does not say what country.

In Europe I hear US.

I'm from England and all I ever remember hearing is America and Americans, for the most part. The only time I heard any one refer to the US as "The States" was other Americans. But that's just my experience. I'm not as well travelled as you :) Although I do remember the French calling Americans....well, never mind. That's probably not repeatable. Melissa

UofMfan 02-18-2010 05:21 PM

I suppose we South Americans are just uptight and picky about accuracy. I have also encountered this from people in Central America, by the way.

Apocalipstic, yes, before they we had revolutions and became independent and individual countries.

Apocalipstic 02-18-2010 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Melissa (Post 52632)
I'm from England and all I ever remember hearing is America and Americans, for the most part. The only time I heard any one refer to the US as "The States" was other Americans. But that's just my experience. I'm not as well travelled as you :) Although I do remember the French calling Americans....well, never mind. That's probably not repeatable. Melissa

In London I usually hear US, but they seem to abreviate a lot! :) UK, US, EU and so forth....

And yes, I have only heard people from the US or Canada call the US "the States" and it is only from people who have lived outside the US.

Semantics 02-18-2010 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Melissa (Post 52632)
I'm from England and all I ever remember hearing is America and Americans, for the most part. The only time I heard any one refer to the US as "The States" was other Americans.

What do the people of England call us if not American?

Citizens of the United States of America?

If not Americans, what should we call ourselves?

UofMfan 02-18-2010 05:25 PM

In normal every day conversation I mostly call it "The States".

Apocalipstic 02-18-2010 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UofMfan (Post 52634)
I suppose we South Americans are just uptight and picky about accuracy. I have also encountered this from people in Central America, by the way.

Apocalipstic, yes, before they we had revolutions and became independent and individual countries.

Before San Martin and Bolivar!

We are all Americans South, Central and North.

I think it is important that when we are speaking of the US in particular we say US.

It seems pretty racist, classist and arrogant to say otherwise.

Apocalipstic 02-18-2010 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Semantics (Post 52638)
What do the people of England call us if not American?

Citizens of the United States of America?

If not Americans, what should we call ourselves?

My friends in London say "from the US" or "Yanks" or Yankees which outside the US tends to mean all people from the US, not Southerners.

What should Argentines call themselves, or Mexicans, or Canadians, or Chileans? They are all Americans too.