Butch Femme Planet

Butch Femme Planet (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/index.php)
-   Writing and Erotica (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   National Novel Writing Month (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4067)

wolfbittenpoet 10-26-2011 08:33 AM

National Novel Writing Month

November is national novel writing month. Are you brave enough?
I am...I think. I've already got the planning under way and come Tuesday I shall write.

SoNotHer 10-26-2011 08:43 AM

I say go for it, "Typewriter Boy" :-) What is your first line?

Linus 10-26-2011 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoNotHer (Post 447129)
I say go for it, "Typewriter Boy" :-) What is your first line?

Please, please, please.. promise me it's not "It was a dark and stormy night.."

hottprof 10-26-2011 08:48 AM

There is actually a website for the novel writing month, you sign up and keep track of your words....

http://www.nanowrimo.org/

good luck to all the writers out there... break a pencil ;)

dark_crystal 10-26-2011 08:49 AM

i am tempted but i need to get over it!!!!
i work f/t, work on Master's p/t AND we are moving in November

wolfbittenpoet 10-26-2011 08:55 AM

No Linus it's not "It Was A Dark and Stormy Night". Though like Snoopy I am occasionally a fan of my own work.

Slater 10-26-2011 09:30 AM

I am thinking of giving it a go this year. University Book Store in Seattle is also doing a contest where they will print and sell the best local nanowrimo submission, so that's a bit of an extra little carrot.

JustJo 10-26-2011 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wolfbittenpoet (Post 447121)
November is national novel writing month. Are you brave enough?
I am...I think. I've already got the planning under way and come Tuesday I shall write.

Tempting....I did this a few years ago and wrote a fantasy for big kid/tweens. It was a great experience (even though I keep vowing to finish editing, getting illustrations and publishing it).

I'd love to do it again, but November is going to be insane for me.

Hmmmmm.....decisions....

tapu 10-26-2011 10:02 AM

You're supposed to write an entire novel, of presumably "standard" length, in one month?

Linus 10-26-2011 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tapu (Post 447188)
You're supposed to write an entire novel, of presumably "standard" length, in one month?

50,000 words (about 1500 per day). Ideally a fiction novel but it's open (there are different categories and it's left to individuals to decide what best suits their "writing").

SoNotHer 10-26-2011 10:11 AM

Yeah, I think some of my students do this texting. They're channeling Kerouac of course. ;-)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Linus (Post 447196)
50,000 words (about 1500 per day). Ideally a fiction novel but it's open (there are different categories and it's left to individuals to decide what best suits their "writing").

dreadgeek 10-26-2011 10:51 AM

I think I'm going to try this this year. I haven't attempted a novel-length work in 20 years after losing a manuscript 2/3rds of the day through. I have a science fiction espionage novel that's been rattling around in my head for the last couple of years that I think I'm finally ready to try to get on the page.

Cheers
Aj

wolfbittenpoet 10-26-2011 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoNotHer (Post 447198)
Yeah, I think some of my students do this texting. They're channeling Kerouac of course. ;-)

Spontaneous prose at it's finest. I'm pretty certain the second part of Big Sur could of been done on twitter.

Medusa 10-26-2011 03:44 PM

I did it about 3 years ago and gave it a half-ass attempt last year. I'm in this year!

Friend me over there! I'm "medusagoddess"

tapu 10-26-2011 03:54 PM

The only good writing is re-writing. --I forget who but someone I agree with, about this anyway.

Is all the planning and character development done beforehand--officially?

Is there then just one draft?

I could probably look all this up. But I want you guys to explain it to me, if you will. I always have follow-up questions, you know?

Medusa 10-26-2011 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tapu (Post 447435)
The only good writing is re-writing. --I forget who but someone I agree with, about this anyway.

Is all the planning and character development done beforehand--officially?

Is there then just one draft?

I could probably look all this up. But I want you guys to explain it to me, if you will. I always have follow-up questions, you know?

Nanowrimo leaves it up to you. I think that "officially", you are supposed to just write but I have seen several people talk about doing character sketches beforehand or laying out a storyline.

I'll be writing something that has been rattling around for a while.

You just get one draft and many folks treat it as their rough draft. The point is to get people to write!

tapu 10-26-2011 04:01 PM

Surprisingly, I have no follow-up questions.

Thanks, Medusagoddess. Mmm.

LeftWriteFemme 10-26-2011 06:37 PM

Okay, made an account.......I'm in!

seashell 10-26-2011 07:10 PM

Man, I haven't participated in this in a long, long time—particularly since college got in the way, but... even with two theses due by the end of next semester, I am totally going for it next month! *fist pump*

always2late 10-26-2011 07:19 PM

Signed up!