Butch Femme Planet

Butch Femme Planet (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hobbies, Crafts, Interests (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Anybody Who Sews? (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7358)

okieblu 03-27-2014 07:45 PM

Anybody Who Sews?

I'm looking to do a trade in exchange for sewing. I posted this in the Marketplace section, which doesn't seem to get much traffic, so I thought I'd try here. Contact me if you might be interested.
Thanks

nanners 03-27-2014 07:57 PM

Hi Okieblu~
What is it that you need sewn? And what might you trade for the sewing? I'm curious. I do sew some!

ForeverMe 03-27-2014 11:39 PM

I'm interested in finding out more details. I also sew.

Rockinonahigh 03-28-2014 01:08 AM

About all I can do is fix a button and line a hem...past that I am lost.But,if you need a saddle made or repaired I sure can do that.

okieblu 03-29-2014 12:57 AM

Nanners and ForeverMe--

I'm hoping to get a couple of nice dress shirts, with French cuffs, made. Not tux shirts, but the kind of nice long sleeved button down shirts with French cuffs men would wear with a suit for church on Sunday mornings.

The other thing I would like to get made is/was called a waist coat. It was the 1800's version of a suit vest. Think Wild Wild West-the tv show not that horrid movie remake.

I have the material, and I think I still have buttons for the shirts. Don't laugh though. The material is cotton-poly blend top sheets. In excellent condition, too. And material is material. I have some yardage of black satin brocade for the vest, I USED to have a matching white satin to use with the black, until the ham-handed, crazed lying THIEF of a costume maker stole it.

Anyways, that's what I'm wanting done. I don't have any examples of my mural/banner/painting yet. I'm still trying to find someone I can rent a wall from to work on. I have a fb business page I'm working on for my jewelry, it's not really ready yet. But I can post a link if y'all want to take a look at my work.

okieblu 03-29-2014 12:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rockinonahigh (Post 901910)
About all I can do is fix a button and line a hem...past that I am lost.But,if you need a saddle made or repaired I sure can do that.

lol! Sorry, not me! I used to know people who rode, but for one reason or another, most had to quit. The only one I know who still has horses, probably knows local people for saddlework.

okieblu 04-01-2014 06:13 PM

Here is the link...http://facebook.com/AsItEverWas

I figured part cash, or if local, light yard work, or house cleaning.

Quote:

Originally Posted by okieblu (Post 902042)
Nanners and ForeverMe--

I'm hoping to get a couple of nice dress shirts, with French cuffs, made. Not tux shirts, but the kind of nice long sleeved button down shirts with French cuffs men would wear with a suit for church on Sunday mornings.

The other thing I would like to get made is/was called a waist coat. It was the 1800's version of a suit vest. Think Wild Wild West-the tv show not that horrid movie remake.

I have the material, and I think I still have buttons for the shirts. Don't laugh though. The material is cotton-poly blend top sheets. In excellent condition, too. And material is material. I have some yardage of black satin brocade for the vest, I USED to have a matching white satin to use with the black, until the ham-handed, crazed lying THIEF of a costume maker stole it.

Anyways, that's what I'm wanting done. I don't have any examples of my mural/banner/painting yet. I'm still trying to find someone I can rent a wall from to work on. I have a fb business page I'm working on for my jewelry, it's not really ready yet. But I can post a link if y'all want to take a look at my work.

ForeverMe 04-10-2014 02:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by okieblu (Post 902511)
Here is the link...http://facebook.com/AsItEverWas

I figured part cash, or if local, light yard work, or house cleaning.

I think that's a little out of my comfort zone. As far as clothing goes, I've only every made simple baby girl dresses. I do hope you find someone that can help. I certainly could have used someone to do housework. Ha ha.

okieblu 05-01-2014 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ForeverMe (Post 903732)
I think that's a little out of my comfort zone. As far as clothing goes, I've only every made simple baby girl dresses. I do hope you find someone that can help. I certainly could have used someone to do housework. Ha ha.

Yeah, kinda complicated stuff, I know. Oh well...

okieblu 05-01-2014 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nanners (Post 901891)
Hi Okieblu~
What is it that you need sewn? And what might you trade for the sewing? I'm curious. I do sew some!

Hi!
Would you be interested?

okieblu 05-01-2014 11:23 PM

Still Looking...

Is there anyone out there who has the know how and would be interested in a trade or part trade-part cash deal? As well as jewelry, I do other wearable art. I do painted jackets and vests-cloth, not leather-which I should have some up on my site here in a couple of weeks, and, I HOPE, mini top hats as well.

okieblu 05-14-2014 05:55 AM

bumpity bump bump! And repeat as needed, snort.

Smiling 05-14-2014 07:53 AM

You may have more luck here or somewhere similar: http://www.swapaskill.com

:)

okieblu 07-22-2014 04:26 PM

Yeah, I registered at that site-thanks for the link. Not one single reply. I'm thinking I might post on more facebook groups-the ones dedicated to needle crafts, that allow barter. I'm not having any luck other wise.

Medusa 03-11-2022 05:54 PM

Bumping this thread!!

What machine do you use? What is your favorite sewing pattern?
Fave kind of fabric to work with?
Tips and tricks?

Tell me all about your sewing habits and projects!!

I am getting back into sewing after a long hiatus and would love to compare notes with other folks who sew. I am self-taught but watching Youtube has been a huge help.

Orema 03-12-2022 08:19 AM

I still sew but I don't enjoy it as much as I used to. Not sure why. I learned in high school (I was able to take sewing and typing to avoid PE :)) and at the knees of my mother and sister.

Over the last couple years I've mostly made curtains, aprons, and some lovely pillows. I want to make a quilt but need a guide. Will check out youtube on putting a quilt together.

A couple years ago I got a Janome JW8100 that I love. It replaced a 30+ year old Singer machine and it's a huge improvement. Everything is easy-peasy and works as it should. Compared to my old machine it's a brave new world, but I don't know how it would size up to other machines on the market.

I don't have a favorite stitch and there are so many to choose from.

Thanks for bumping this thread. Will let y'all know if I take on any projects!

FireSignFemme 03-12-2022 03:05 PM

I sew, poorly and only simple things, but well enough to suit friends and family. My machine is an old beat up Brother. Nothing fancy, it's so old anymore to replace a few simple parts would cost me more than what I originally paid for the machine. It had been in storage for a while and when I hauled it out I couldn't find the piece that holds the bobbin, whatever that's called, so I went online in search of one. I couldn't believe the price of things. LOL maybe I should just part it out.

Medusa 03-12-2022 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orema (Post 1287476)
I still sew but I don't enjoy it as much as I used to. Not sure why. I learned in high school (I was able to take sewing and typing to avoid PE :)) and at the knees of my mother and sister.

Over the last couple years I've mostly made curtains, aprons, and some lovely pillows. I want to make a quilt but need a guide. Will check out youtube on putting a quilt together.

A couple years ago I got a Janome JW8100 that I love. It replaced a 30+ year old Singer machine and it's a huge improvement. Everything is easy-peasy and works as it should. Compared to my old machine it's a brave new world, but I don't know how it would size up to other machines on the market.

I don't have a favorite stitch and there are so many to choose from.

Thanks for bumping this thread. Will let y'all know if I take on any projects!

Orema!!
I have missed your posts!! I hope to be around here more :)

My Mom had a sewing machine and I remember her making a couple of things for me when I was a child but she never really wanted to teach me and I never really wanted to learn from her. I did, however, want to learn from my Grandmother but she wasn't sewing much by the time I wizened up so I am mostly self-taught.
I have a purse in progress right now and 2 skirts and I have my eye on a really nice travel bag if I don't get frustrated and give up

AND my beloved aprettydress and I are making the same skirt together so we can compare notes.

Might be fun for us all to compare notes and show our projects as we work :)

xoxo

Medusa 03-12-2022 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FireSignFemme (Post 1287484)
I sew, poorly and only simple things, but well enough to suit friends and family. My machine is an old beat up Brother. Nothing fancy, it's so old anymore to replace a few simple parts would cost me more than what I originally paid for the machine. It had been in storage for a while and when I hauled it out I couldn't find the piece that holds the bobbin, whatever that's called, so I went online in search of one. I couldn't believe the price of things. LOL maybe I should just part it out.

GIRLLLLL. My original machine was a Brother and I pulled it out several months ago to get back into the habit. Needless to say, it was in dire need of service and had some parts that needed to be replaced and it basically is exactly what you said and would have cost more to fix it up than it was worth.

JD treated me to this one a few weeks ago:

https://www.janome.com/machines/sewing/4120qdc/

It basically does EVERYTHING and sews like hot butter! I have never used a machine that was so smooth and quiet!!

A good machine makes a lot of difference but I will tell you, we have JD's Mother's Singer from the late 1960s and it has all metal parts and my sewing teacher (yes, we hired one! LOL) says it's one of the best machines ever made. It's simple and doesn't do anything fancy but it's a workhorse!

I am SO DELIGHTED to be talking sewing with you all!

FireSignFemme 03-13-2022 06:27 PM

Wow that's a nice machine. My mother still has her old Singer and it still runs well after all these decades. She didn't think much of the new Singers so she just kept hanging on to the old one. Eventually, reluctantly she purchased a Janome as her eyesight started to give. She'll probably favor her old Singer till the day she dies though and she still uses it for certain things.

My great grandmother was an army seamstress and she taught my mother to sew. She and my mother both – excellent seamstresses. Growing up my mother made elaborate wedding gowns. She hated it. Only did it when we really needed the money. She doesn't like brides. Well except for her daughters because if we don't behave she can always stab us and not go to jail or prison for it.

She tried to teach me. People assumed since she was so good at it I would be too. So when my mother said no she didn't want to often times they'd ask me to, even offer to pay me. Mom how do I make it stop? Here make a pot holder for her daughter as a wedding shower gift. That's all it took. Anytime I made a potholder for someone they never offered to pay me to sew anything for them ever again.