Butch Femme Planet

Butch Femme Planet (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/index.php)
-   Careers, Work, Business (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=91)
-   -   Do It Yourself Help-Home Projects (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=482)

weatherboi 01-06-2010 09:58 AM

http://www.ellisok.com/ellisok/rescon.html

This may be a little more intrusive than you need but we have used a system similar to this to help level an old bed and breakfast here.

I have watched this process a few times and wouldn't think of doing it myself. My liable general contractor side says hire a professional!!!

Hope the links help!!

http://homerenovations.about.com/od/...a/homejack.htm

http://www.hammerzone.com/archives/f...t1/raising.htm

Jess 01-06-2010 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by weatherboi (Post 30643)
http://www.ellisok.com/ellisok/rescon.html

This may be a little more intrusive than you need but we have used a system similar to this to help level an old bed and breakfast here.

I have watched this process a few times and wouldn't think of doing it myself. My liable general contractor side says hire a professional!!!

Hope the links help!!

http://homerenovations.about.com/od/...a/homejack.htm

http://www.hammerzone.com/archives/f...t1/raising.htm

Thanks a bunch! Everything I have read thus far seems to lean toward hiring the job out. They also seem to state that most contractors don't want to do it. ACK!

Will keep plugging away at as many projects I can handle and leave the intrinsic to structure work to the pro's! Thanks again!

Bit 01-06-2010 12:34 PM

Jess, look in the yellowpages under "basement repair." You should find all kinds of contractors.

We had to have two steel I-beams and four jack posts installed in the basement of That House before we were allowed to move in; it ran us $1800 last April. $1200 of that was for the I-beams (and their installation).

Hey, Cara, I'm all excited; we found LED light strings on sale after the holidays and now have four. I've already got one of those outlets that screws into your porch light fixture, so we'll even be able to plug them in next winter. I'll probably wind them around our porch railings rather than hanging them from the roofline, though.

I bought two outlets, for front and back; our back porch light doesn't work properly because the pull string won't stay in the "on" position, so I'm hoping we can "fix" it by bypassing it; the outlet has a pull chain of its own.

Jess 01-25-2010 08:36 AM

OK.. sooo.. jacking up the house is on hold a while but is definitely still on " THE LIST".

Because working outside makes me feel better, I am starting to plan the re-do of our yard/ lot. I have some very clear ideas of features I want but am having a hard time visualizing exactly how it all needs to come together.

Anyone know of any free landscaping design programs that could help with laying out the yard?

Thanks!

wolfwalker 01-25-2010 10:05 AM

lifting the house

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jess (Post 30636)
OK.. so here's a new one...

How do you go about jacking up a house? Ours is "drooping" in the back area.. specifically the kitchen.

There is a good clearance under it to place jacks/ supports. I have been told to use "pop bottle" jacks ( :eyebrow: sure, I know what those are) and that the process has to be very slow, so as not to upset the foundation.

Is this something I should undertake myself or hire a professional " jacker?" WTF is a house jacker upper called anyway?? LOL. Anyone ( hint Jack) know of a good website with video showing the process?

There is very mild "sloping" in other areas, but the kitchen is the most dramatic. The wife says she hadn't noticed it so much until we placed a new round table in there, which makes it glaringly obvious. So,.. yet another wee little project in the ongoing saga of Extreme Home Makeover: Butch Edition.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Jess

Jess, you can do it yourself. I raised an old farmhouse and made all the repairs myself.

it takes time. it took time to get that way and it will take time to get it back level. if you rush it. you will be looking at your house on the ground.

I will explain this whole thing to you and show you how when i come down that way for a visit. which will be soon. but you need to also check the source of the sag. is it just old age? or is it termites?

if its termites, house needs to be treated first. if it old age, cool. As long as you have good clearance. it not a hard job. its the time it takes to right it that makes it look harder then it is. The house has to be raised slowly over the course of a week or two. a bit at a time. when i did the farm. i did it in 1/8th to 1/4th inch every 2 days. this gave everything time to slowly move back into position. it means making adjustments every 2 days to several bottle jacks and supports. not really a biggie. but time consuming. How big an area it is will guide how many jacks and supports you need.

the biggest thing is make a list of supplies, check it twice before you do anything. the last thing you need is to be missing something in the process of raising.

wolfwalker

Jess 01-25-2010 10:29 AM

Awesome... that will be yet another "one less thing".. ( Our new mantra!)

We're really looking forward to seeing you and I am always open to advice/ suggestions.. lord knows anything that helps me in knocking out the list is a godsend!

cara 01-25-2010 11:55 AM

i bought a torpedo level and tape measure this weekend. :D

Gemme 01-25-2010 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cara (Post 38979)
i bought a torpedo level and tape measure this weekend. :D

Someone's hanging curtains! :freak:

cara 01-25-2010 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gemme (Post 39162)
Someone's hanging curtains! :freak:

They are UP! :D and none too soon 'cuz I have a date this Saturday! :)

At this point, I'm so proud of myself for getting them hung (and LEVEL even!) that I don't care that the curtains are too small for the window. Or that my bed totally doesn't match my current theme. And neither do my current bed linens.

YAY! :groucho:

:stillheart:

Gemme 01-26-2010 12:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cara (Post 39338)
They are UP! :D and none too soon 'cuz I have a date this Saturday! :)

At this point, I'm so proud of myself for getting them hung (and LEVEL even!) that I don't care that the curtains are too small for the window. Or that my bed totally doesn't match my current theme. And neither do my current bed linens.

YAY! :groucho:

:stillheart:

Yaaaaay for handiness and not being too matchy matchy! :happyjump:

BTW, hubba hubba on the youknowwhat. :tongue:

Kimbo 01-31-2010 11:50 PM

Success

Who would of known my project would have all these twists. My house is plumbed along with a new hot water heater. Only a few twists...I popped out a few tiles in the bathroom wall turning the shower valve and I might of put the blade of the reciprocating saw thru my bathroom sheetrock once or twice. My friend ended up getting pretty sick so I did most of the project myself. I've got one issue with the hot water in the kitchen that she is going to come and help me with this week. Hopefully we will have the sheetrock up and mudded by the weekend--I've left it down until she inspects all my work and makes sure I did it correct.

As soon as the plumbing has the okay then I'm putting in a new tub, with new tile on the walls and floors. I'll be building in a cabinet and taking out the medicine cabinet, putting in new sink, buying a huge mirror for the wall and a new light track and I'll be replacing the fan and moving some electrical. I'm hoping to have it all done by the third week of Feb and then maybe I can get back to my bedroom.

I appreciate all your help Jack. I don't know how one could do this in 4-6 hours alone..maybe it could happen but I certainly couldn't do it.

Kimbo 02-01-2010 08:45 PM

Oh I forgot this lil tidbit...this plumber at Lowes, big, burley, bearded, dude, biker type...this dude helped me immensely. Anyways, my burly dude Lowes best friends name is Joy. He brought me a lot of joy.

I bet he got a lot of shit when he was in school.

:giggle:

Kimbo 02-20-2010 12:29 AM

I spent my friday evening disassembling and demolishing the bathroom. Then I cleaned it all up, washed the tub and took my last bath in it. It was a good tub :bath: Tomorrow it goes, new one comes in and the walls come up . Next weekend is tile!

Fortunately, no surprises so far but I now get to see what shape the subfloor is in. :praying:

Kimbo 02-27-2010 12:15 AM

Wall tile project this weekend. Fortunately, my sister and brother in law have a business that includes doing tile. It will be a fun project to do with my sister.

:weightlifter:

Kimbo 03-02-2010 09:55 PM

The tile project was a huge success---I did have to egde up and straighten a few that my sister put down a little crooked--GEZ. Good thing she finds humor in my anal alignment obsession.

This weekend--Tiling the bathroom floor, a little patch to the wall where I just might of punched thru with the reciprocating saw--OOOPS, and painting the bathroom and the other wall we had to open. I have to reopen the wall to move the shower valve back but that should be pretty easy! Repatch and viola the plumbing and bathroom will be done and checked off the list!!

Admin 03-02-2010 11:54 PM

We are going to do some painting in a few weeks :)

Jack just doesnt know it yet.

Kimbo 03-03-2010 01:09 AM

Thanks Jack. I also discovered the power of a self leveling cross laser....I would never have thought of that. It feels good to be almost be over the hump, I'm getting tired of spending weekends with the water off for one reason or another.

So do you know what you're painting yet?

Jess 03-03-2010 09:45 AM

Upcoming projects:

Install fence...
Plant privacy trees around said fence...
Build deck...
Build pool/ kitchen area outside...
Create raised bed garden and sew grass over old row garden...
Continue cleaning organizing shed for working on all of above projects and refinishing some furniture...
Figure out how the hell to lift our waterstove and repair floor that has sunk under it..

It's gonna be a hella busy spring/ summer...

Oh! and collect wood all during the warm months so I don't go through these periods of it not being available during winter.. grrrr..

Good luck to all the DIYers!