Butch Femme Planet

Butch Femme Planet (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/index.php)
-   Support: Abuse, Addiction, Coping (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   SMOKERS... LETS KICK the HABIT!! (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2446)

Strappie 12-03-2010 02:49 PM

SMOKERS... LETS KICK the HABIT!!

It's time we start to HELP each other and KICK this NASTY habit!!

I've smoked since I was about 12 years old. Taking my first puff at around 10. I've been smoking daily since about 16. I've tried many things, the patch, that nasty gum, and even cold turkey. OMG I nearly killed myself. I've quit a few times for more than 2 yrs. But some how it rears it's ugly head and I pick it up again.

Today I received in the mail my ProSmoke e- cigarette's. I hope to at least cut out the "smoke" from my lungs and start cutting back with the e-cigarette's. Here in MN we can't smoke in the bars so this is an alternative to that too.

Right now I'm just looking to get use to these and not buy cigarettes any more. They come in different mg's. I started with the second highest 25mg. Then after I go threw what I have I may be able to cut down to a smaller dose.

What is your remedy??? Or Your Game plan?

Jet 12-03-2010 03:00 PM

GOOD FOR YOU!!!!!!!!!!
GOOD FOR YOU!!!!!!!!!!
GOOD FOR YOU!!!!!!!!!!
GOOD FOR YOU!!!!!!!!!!

GOOD FOR YOU!!!!!!!!!!

moonfemme 12-03-2010 03:00 PM

I am here for you

Strappieeeeee so proud of you, good luck :~)

Anyone needing a personal cheerleader... I am your Femme, it's hard but if you can get to the three day hump and then a week and the next... I will be here to SUPPORT you...
Just think of the extra time you get to be here with the ones you love... all because you made a choice to better your life, extend your life, what an AWESOME choice :~)

diamondrose 12-03-2010 03:04 PM

I have never been a smoker. I have a friend that told me what she did to stop smoking. She said, instead of doing it cold turkey, allow yourself less and less over time. Of course it takes will power and determination, but it sounds like a good method. Buy a pack and leave 15 in the pack for a week or so. Then next pack take it down to 10 for a bit and so on. Good luck!!!!!!!!!

Strappie 12-03-2010 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moonfemme (Post 240684)
Strappieeeeee so proud of you, good luck :~)

Anyone needing a personal cheerleader... I am your Femme, it's hard but if you can get to the three day hump and then a week and the next... I will be here to SUPPORT you...
Just think of the extra time you get to be here with the ones you love... all because you made a choice to better your life, extend your life, what an AWESOME choice :~)

What I've found is that with in those 3 Days is truly the hardest. I so agree with you Moonfemme. I was also told my a Doctor friend that the nicotine burst/attack last for 10 minutes till you have another nicotine burst. I have had major anxiety every time I quit. Thus making me bounce off the walls and can not concentrate at all. For me this was good in one way, the anxiety made me so high strung I lost weight because I couldn't stop moving.

I'm hoping the e-cigarette's help with that.

Strappie 12-03-2010 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by diamondrose (Post 240686)
I have never been a smoker. I have a friend that told me what she did to stop smoking. She said, instead of doing it cold turkey, allow yourself less and less over time. Of course it takes will power and determination, but it sounds like a good method. Buy a pack and leave 15 in the pack for a week or so. Then next pack take it down to 10 for a bit and so on. Good luck!!!!!!!!!

Diamondrose,

That is great advise.

I've done that many times, it just hasn't worked for me. I know for some people it can work but for someone (me) that has smoked for this many years and smokes a pack a day sometimes more sometimes less.

katsarecool 12-03-2010 03:21 PM

Good luck and you are indeed doing something very special for yourself!!!!

Gemme 12-03-2010 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strappie (Post 240690)
What I've found is that with in those 3 Days is truly the hardest. I so agree with you Moonfemme. I was also told my a Doctor friend that the nicotine burst/attack last for 10 minutes till you have another nicotine burst. I have had major anxiety every time I quit. Thus making me bounce off the walls and can not concentrate at all. For me this was good in one way, the anxiety made me so high strung I lost weight because I couldn't stop moving.

I'm hoping the e-cigarette's help with that.

There were some great posts....somewhere....it escapes me now....about how folks felt when they quit smoking. I think it was Gayla who said that she didn't know who she was without ciggies. It brought on fear.

You've been smoking for a loooooong time. I would wager that it's a similar situation with you, subconsciously. You'll have to get to know yourself as a non-smoker and that is someone you don't know now.

I'm not a smoker. My mom and her two-fisted chain smoking ways fixed that. My honey smoked though. He quit this year and I'm so very proud of him. He'd tried before without success until he was ready to quit. Everything lined up for him. He set his mind to it and his body was ready (the ciggies actually began to make him nauseous) and he had emotional support (me!) lined up. Trifecta!

It's good that you are seeking support and I wish you the very best in quitting.

girl_dee 12-03-2010 04:43 PM

as a non smoker with very chronic lung issues I THANK YOU!!!!

Good luck Strappie!

lipstixgal 12-03-2010 05:12 PM

I have bad asthma so good luck on your journey you can do it!!

Ebon 12-03-2010 05:22 PM

Good luck buddy! I know how hard it is to quit.

Strappie 12-03-2010 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Organicbutch (Post 240778)
Good luck buddy! I know how hard it is to quit.

Dude it is so hard as you know. I am so proud of you for quitting... I guess we won't be meeting down stairs for a smoke in Little Rock.. Now it will have to be for a beer!! lol

Liam 12-03-2010 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strappie (Post 240677)

I stopped smoking, that was how I quit. I became a non-smoker last year. I miss smoking, but my lungs are much happier.

dixie 12-03-2010 07:29 PM

I'm in... I've been cutting back, in preparations of quitting. I've went from almost 3 packs a day to about half a pack. I've been stuck there for a couple weeks. I've been using an app on my phone that tracks how many, how often, and how much $. Just seeing those running totals makes me pay a lot more attention. I try to view the how often, and beat my time...lol. I'm a visual person, so "seeing" results is more helpful to me. Hopefully soon I can progress on to patches or something if need be. It's just kinda stressful this time of year for me, so it will probably be after the holidays before I take the next step. :)

Strappie 12-03-2010 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dixielady (Post 240903)
I'm in... I've been cutting back, in preparations of quitting. I've went from almost 3 packs a day to about half a pack. I've been stuck there for a couple weeks. I've been using an app on my phone that tracks how many, how often, and how much $. Just seeing those running totals makes me pay a lot more attention. I try to view the how often, and beat my time...lol. I'm a visual person, so "seeing" results is more helpful to me. Hopefully soon I can progress on to patches or something if need be. It's just kinda stressful this time of year for me, so it will probably be after the holidays before I take the next step. :)

Dixie... that is awesome!!! My biggest problem is doing something with my hands.. now if I had a gf I wouldn't have to worry about that, I get tired of myself.. lol

Good Luck... !!!

girl_dee 12-04-2010 06:31 AM

Hows Strappie and anyone else not smoking today??

Glenn 12-04-2010 06:37 AM

Okey Dokey Artichokey, If the E cig works for you.. I'll invest. Do they sell em bourbon dipped?

JAGG 12-04-2010 07:48 AM

quit

Quote:

I've smoked since I was about 12 years old. Taking my first puff at around 10. I've been smoking daily since about 16. I've tried many things, the patch, that nasty gum, and even cold turkey. OMG I nearly killed myself. I've quit a few times for more than 2 yrs. But some how it rears it's ugly head and I pick it up again.

Today I received in the mail my ProSmoke e- cigarette's. I hope to at least cut out the "smoke" from my lungs and start cutting back with the e-cigarette's. Here in MN we can't smoke in the bars so this is an alternative to that too.

Right now I'm just looking to get use to these and not buy cigarettes any more. They come in different mg's. I started with the second highest 25mg. Then after I go threw what I have I may be able to cut down to a smaller dose.

GOOD FOR YOU STRAPPIE!!!!!!!! I have read about addicts who said they quit their drug addictions including Meth and cocaine but the hardest one was smoking cigarettes, most could not kick the habit. According to readers digest if you are going to go cold turkey, the best time to do it is on a Sunday afternoon. You have a 65 percent better chance of sticking to it if you do it on a Sunday afternoon. Also a good tip , you can't quit something that you're addicted to without replacing it with something else, if you want to be sucsessful. The human brain doesn't handle self-denial very easily. So if you want to quit a bad habit replace it with a good one. Everytime you have an urge instead of smoking go for a walk, or start cleaning the bathroom. And what ever you chose to take the place of the bad habit, when the urge hits you, instead of saying oh God I need a smoke say to yourself, Oh God I need to go for a walk or I need to clean my bathroom, whatever the replacement is. It changes your thought process. If you crave something and never get it, after awhile you will crave it less and less, doesn't mean it goes away , it just gets easier. And good luck, you can do it, lots of people have. Look at all the money you will save.

Greyson 12-04-2010 01:01 PM

Quote:

Strappie, Best of Luck to you. My game plan for you is to keep you in my thoughts/prayers about your desire to live cigarette free. I too smoked for many years when I was younger. I think for me it was part of the "image thing." The problem with that was physical health risks and I could not live

in a bar 24/7 as a young person trying to find community, friends and women of course.

For me when I gave up drinking and drugs of any kind many years ago, I had to stop going to clubs where I did the bulk of my partying. It helped to create a entire new set of activities, and some new friends with common goals.

Back to the cigs, I don't know how it is in MN but out here on the left coast, marijuanna smoking seems to be more acceptable than cigs. Cigarette smokers are becoming less and less. I have not been a daily smoker in years but my thing was to have a ciggy when I go out to a club or some sort of fundraising event. I have not had a cig since the B-F Holiday Dance held at the beginning of this year. The last time I was out with a group of people just chatting and hanging out on a Friday night about 4 weeks ago, there were no cigs for me. I belive I am done.

I have some other ideas that might help you quit, if you are interested send me a pm or call. Again, Best of Luck Strappie.

Strappie 12-04-2010 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sassy_girl (Post 241067)
Hows Strappie and anyone else not smoking today??

Well here is the deal.. I'm still smoking... What I'm doing is trying to cut back on the "real" cigs. and changing over to the e-cigarette and in time hopefully cutting that out as well.