Butch Femme Planet

Butch Femme Planet (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/index.php)
-   In The News (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=117)
-   -   Trans Woman refused job because of Trans status; called a "faggot" (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=493)

Linus 12-08-2009 05:54 PM

Trans Woman refused job because of Trans status; called a "faggot"

If someone does like me because I'm trans, that is there issue. However, when they decide that because I'm trans I "do a poor job" or whatever reason, then that becomes everyone's issue. Seeing this is really disappointing:

http://www.transgenderlegal.org/head...how.php?id=198

Quote:

December 7, 2009 - TLDEF today filed a Complaint with the Florida Commission on Human Relations against an Orlando McDonald's restaurant for refusing to hire 17-year-old Zikerria Bellamy because she is transgender.

On July 10, 2009, Zikerria applied online for a position as a Shift Manager or Crew Leader at McDonald's. On July 28, after managers at McDonald’s learned that Zikerria is transgender, she received the following voicemail message from one of the managers:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCXOCsfl5Js

more info about what TLDEF is doing for her at the link above

Corkey 12-08-2009 05:58 PM

Ignorance is everywhere, didn't the bill pass that included Trans from discrimination? Or am I ahead of myself here?

Linus 12-08-2009 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Corkey (Post 18384)
Ignorance is everywhere, didn't the bill pass that included Trans from discrimination? Or am I ahead of myself here?

The Federal ENDA? Sitting in some Senator's office. Maybe -- big maybe -- spring 2010.

Corkey 12-08-2009 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Linus (Post 18386)
The Federal ENDA? Sitting in some Senator's office. Maybe -- big maybe -- spring 2010.

Friggen Senate..... it's hopefully a matter of time. I really don't expect a predominately republican state to change their bigotry without ENDA.

iamkeri1 12-08-2009 07:38 PM

First of all, I would like to say it sucks what happened to that young child. The manager should be put in stocks for the day and be ridiculed for all his own shortcomings on the public square. Also, sounds like he was disappointed for personal reasons, perhaps an interest in her? I can't believe some of the incredibly stupid and hate filled comments on u-tube about the situation.

Secondly, unless changes were made that I am not aware of, Transgendered people were excluded from ENDA in an affort to get it passed.
Keri

Dylan 12-08-2009 07:57 PM

And after a federal ENDA passes (one which DOES include transfolks) they'll just find other reasons not to hire transfolks. So, instead of just coming out and saying it, they'll find another way to word it.

Staggering statistic: Over 80% of transfolks are unemployed. Some stats go as high as 97%

Dylan...remembering the city manager in FL who was also fired.

atomiczombie 12-08-2009 08:16 PM

Holy shit that is fucked up. We should all boycott McDonald's. :annoyed:

Wow Dylan, 80% ?? Makes me nervous about trying to find a job. :(

Andrew, Jr. 12-08-2009 09:44 PM

Sad :vigil:

Goofy 12-08-2009 10:56 PM

McDonald's response...

"The McDonald's on International Drive and Sand Lake Road issued a statement Monday evening saying, "Sand Lake Road McDonald’s has a strict policy prohibiting any form of discrimination or harassment in hiring, termination, or any other aspect of employment in the organization. The restaurant requires all employees to comply with local, state and federal employment laws."

and went on to say...

"The behavior of the individual in question is not reflective of the employment policies in the organization. Further, this individual acted outside the scope of his authority and was not responsible for hiring. The individual in question is no longer employed by the restaurant," the statement said."

full article HERE

iamkeri1 12-09-2009 12:04 AM

Wow! That's pretty progressive for a Florida company.

As a handicapped person, I can never understand how this treatment of trans folk is allowed since all research to date indicates gender disphoria (I know this term doesn't fit everyone, so please just let me say this in a quick way and not get a big argument started) is the result of inutero hormonal disturbances. Sounds like a birth defect to me and should be covered insurance wise like all birth defects. Also trans folk should be protected by the Americans with Disabilties Act (Though I have to say from my own experience that the ADA does not provide all that much protection, but it's better than nothing)

The article does NOT say that they offered her a job. Does anyone know if they did?
Smooches,
Keri

NotAnAverageGuy 12-09-2009 06:05 PM

Ok and what I do not understand is if you don't want negative comments, etc why post things online for the whole to see aka youtube?

Never will I post anything online about things because I know how cruel and mean people are, she didn't deserve any of the mean things but if the media would stop putting things in a negative light maybe some people might change their minds.

Media is the evil on here along with the manager.