Old 05-09-2010, 05:57 PM   #21
JustJo
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
pushy broad
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
Follow your heart; it knows things your mind cannot explain.

1 Highscore

Thanked 25,407 Times in 4,661 Posts
JustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST Reputation

Good to see even more folks joining this thread...

GoofyLuvr I envy your A1c readings...I hover around 6.5. The fructose is interesting. Being fruit sugar I wonder how well it would work for me...I know I spike like mad after fruit juice, but do fine eating whole fruit. For me, the fiber in the whole fruit seems to make the fructose doable.

Butterbean...I've read some of those theories about Native Americans and diabetes. I think refined foods are bad for all of us, but I gather that the theory is that Europeans (and those descended from European stock) have a longer history with refined foods so that our bodies have adapted more. I'm not a doc either...but be careful about letting your sugar get over 200. My doc said that's when organ damage is happening...and is the "tipping point" of sorts. High 90s and low 100s is where they told me to hang out as much as possible.

The tricky part is that food, sleep, exercise...all of it...seems to impact everyone's body chemistry a bit differently...so it's all about finding what works for you. I've done a lot of experimenting with test strips 2 hours after eating various foods...and some makes no real sense.

I was told that focusing on low glycemic index foods helps a lot. Has anyone tried that? I got a book and read about it...but hadn't actively tried it yet.