Old 05-20-2010, 12:03 AM   #47
Darth Denkay

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
I'm good with whatever
Relationship Status:
in love and loved

Darth Denkay Has the BEST ReputationDarth Denkay Has the BEST ReputationDarth Denkay Has the BEST ReputationDarth Denkay Has the BEST ReputationDarth Denkay Has the BEST ReputationDarth Denkay Has the BEST ReputationDarth Denkay Has the BEST ReputationDarth Denkay Has the BEST ReputationDarth Denkay Has the BEST ReputationDarth Denkay Has the BEST ReputationDarth Denkay Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilapache View Post

but please how long did it take before the meds quit working on you...
I take daily meds for depression - I have for over 20 years now. I tend to get anywhere from 2-6 years on a specific drug or combo at a time. This means every 2-6 years I need to change meds. The nice thing is that I can sometimes cycle back to a particular drug that I'd been on before. For instance, I started on prozac many moons ago (was the first anti-depressant I took). I've been on a number of other drugs for varying lengths of time in between, and I am taking it now. In fact, this might be the third round of it I've been on, I don't really remember. As for how long a particular med will work for you (general you) I assume it depends on the drug and your neurochemistry. Prozac has worked well for me. Lexapro worked pretty well. Effexor did not work well for me. It's all individual - different meds work for different people and for different periods of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamonK View Post

There was a time that I would say "I'm bipolar" but eventually, I realized I have bipolar. It doesn't have me. Oh, there are days it wins out, of course. Here lately, those days are diminishing.

This is absolutely wonderful sentiment Damon. I live with depression, but depression is not who I am. Like you, I have good days and bad days, good weeks and even months. SO even though there are times when it is more of a focus in my daily life, it is still never me. I am not depression.