Converse

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Hy
Relationship Status:
Married

2 Highscores

Converse Has the BEST ReputationConverse Has the BEST ReputationConverse Has the BEST ReputationConverse Has the BEST ReputationConverse Has the BEST ReputationConverse Has the BEST ReputationConverse Has the BEST ReputationConverse Has the BEST ReputationConverse Has the BEST ReputationConverse Has the BEST ReputationConverse Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemme View Post
It's only natural, of course, to seek like minded and bodied individuals as youngsters. It's built into our intrinsic bits and pieces. Every animal is born with this primal urging. Similar company provides warmth on cold nights, shelter from the storm, a higher likelihood of obtaining enough food and safety in numbers.

For me, no matter my age and status in life, that will not change. I am a very social creature and, though I may not go out and party like crazy all of the time, I need personal interaction with voices that come from OUTside of my head.

I've lived in areas of high and low tolerance and acceptance of our community. I feel stifled...smothered even...when I am not able to freely communication, face to face, with other members. It's more than validation (although that can be important) and acceptance (also important); it's an invisible hug that keeps my mental meter running right. It's the communal sigh after a large meal and the weight of breath caught when a group sees and shares something beautiful and brilliant together.

I don't need specific words or actions from members of our community. I just need them to exist and exist near me, where I can see them, feel them, hear them at will.
Gemme

I really enjoyed reading your post – it resonated with me. Thank you

I think one of the key differences that exists within this thread is that some are living in places where homophobia is so blatant that they are forced to be closeted or risk alienation and even physical harm as opposed to others where although they may not be in a location where there is a predominant “community” they can still find it if they wish and are able to live without compromise.

I think that is one of the areas that sites like this have helped. In locations where physical buildings don’t exist, the sites create a virtual community drop in centre, coffee shop, bar, etc, so that others within accessible proximity can be found. I think the success of these sites support the argument that community is important.

But I wonder if having these sites will over time, replace our need to relocate and cluster geographically. Do you think that the want to find like minded people who can provide “interaction with voices that come from OUTside” could be someday completely satisfied through on-line communities alone?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Converse For This Useful Post: