Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
HER - SHE
Relationship Status:
Relating

Thanked 10,830 Times in 3,200 Posts
AtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

This is a very complex issue. I aplaud Kervorkian for setting the stage, yet, I want humane, sane and respectfull legislation for personal end of life decisions. Kervorkian's did not have some choices here that I bet he would have taken. However, some of his actions do bother me. But NOT a person's right to their own control over end of life decisions.

I have watched and been involved with my father, mother, one sister, my brother, a partner and more than a few friends die very difficult deaths. Most of these did not have to be as horrible as they were. Most of these did, indeed have straight forward legal directives. Yet, their wishes became a nightmare within the healthcare legal systems. When you are losing someone you love, dealing with this is just not OK. I now know that for my wishes to actually be carried out, it will have to be outside of these systems. This just isn't right! And pulling a plug is nothing like making decisions like with holding fluids or nourishment or antibiotics or medications that are in fact keeping the heart beating... not even close. And these are the types of things that go on far more often than taking someone off of life support. That is just not how it is. Doing some of these does indeed make dying more difficult at times (there is pain with dehydration at that level for example as there can be with starvation). A plug pull gives peace within moments and usually the person has no awareness.

It is time we deal with this in a manner that allows people control in death & dying when faced with terminal illness. I have deep spiritual feelings, yet believe that it is one's spirit or soul that gives them direction with their wishes and decision here. And a diety hasn't a thing to do with this even if the person believes in such things. These wishes need to be honored.

Last edited by AtLast; 07-01-2010 at 05:06 PM.
AtLast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to AtLast For This Useful Post: