Old 07-19-2010, 12:54 PM   #3
chefhottie25

How Do You Identify?:
boi
Preferred Pronoun?:
hy
Relationship Status:
happily taken

chefhottie25 Has the BEST Reputationchefhottie25 Has the BEST Reputationchefhottie25 Has the BEST Reputationchefhottie25 Has the BEST Reputationchefhottie25 Has the BEST Reputationchefhottie25 Has the BEST Reputationchefhottie25 Has the BEST Reputationchefhottie25 Has the BEST Reputationchefhottie25 Has the BEST Reputationchefhottie25 Has the BEST Reputationchefhottie25 Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stearns View Post
I thought we could have a central place to post activist activities in which we engage, have engaged in the past, or plan to engage, in order to combat all manner of injustice. Did you march at Gay Pride? E-mail a representative over an issue? Write a letter? Make a phone call? Sign a petition? Work behind the scenes? Were you a part of the Civil Rights Movement? Women's Liberation Movement? Tell us about it.

I myself am a prolific e-mailer. It's not all I do, but it's my most common activity. Some of my e-mails are excoriating in nature (cursing and name-calling are off-limits, though), others are simple requests to a rep to support a particular issue or bill. My most recent e-mail was to David Vitter over his comment re Rachel Maddow's yearbook pic. I pointed out the sexism behind his comment and suggested that he post his apology to her on his home page. I hope what I do makes a difference, but my take on it is: Maybe it does, maybe it doesn't, but you never know what's going to stick...

So, here's a place to share with one another stories of our efforts to combat bigotry, homophobia, -isms, etc. Let's hear it.

This thread reminded me of the "take back the night" marches and rallies my dad use to take me to when I was in college. For those of you who don't know...take back the night is an organization that offers support, education, and advocacy about ending sexual violence. Check out their website www.takebackthenight.org for events in your area.
chefhottie25 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to chefhottie25 For This Useful Post: