Is Grateful

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Engaged

Thanked 1,584 Times in 622 Posts
SassyLeo Has the BEST ReputationSassyLeo Has the BEST ReputationSassyLeo Has the BEST ReputationSassyLeo Has the BEST ReputationSassyLeo Has the BEST ReputationSassyLeo Has the BEST ReputationSassyLeo Has the BEST ReputationSassyLeo Has the BEST ReputationSassyLeo Has the BEST ReputationSassyLeo Has the BEST ReputationSassyLeo Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJo View Post
It might be about the industry SassyLeo.

I work in the healthcare field as well, and our company policy is no visible tattoos on anyone, anywhere, regardless of size. Also, no piercings other than ears, and only "standard, traditional" ear piercings (although they are allowed on both men and women).

Our entire dress code is quite strict. For years we weren't even allowed to wear open-toed shoes, even for desk positions.
I've been thinking about this for the last few weeks...and there are 2 pieces for me that I struggle with.

1. I think because I work in healthcare, and because I know that STILL some of the outside world views tattoos and piercings as "not clean", I get stuck in that thought. I know that some of the population we serve (elderly) is challenged by appearance and what is considered sanitary. We have a policy that staff cannot wear artificial nails and excessive jewelry or make-up in the clinics and hospitals because of sanitary reasons. But I think that also is their way of also maintaining what they view as a “professional appearance”

2. I have a lot of opinions about how people dress in the workplace. I know this is MY stuff. I own it. We have several folks here who push the envelope; wearing flip flops and holey jeans to work. Our dress policy states that you cannot wear them, but these folks insist they are “dressy” flip flops and the jeans “came that way from the store”.

So, it’s not JUST about the tattoos and piercings, it is about what I think is OK to wear to work. Although my parents are total ex-hippies and very liberal minded people, I was raised with ideas about how to behave, appear, speak, etc. And how to be and appear in the workplace is a big one.
The Following User Says Thank You to SassyLeo For This Useful Post: