EnderD_503

How Do You Identify?:
Queer, trans guy, butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Male pronouns
Relationship Status:
Relationship

Thanked 3,903 Times in 1,030 Posts
EnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by SassyLeo View Post
For me, personally, it is not about "lower class".

It's how I was raised. My mother grew up in a poor Jewish household. My father in a middle class white household. They both were total hippies and we lived poorly until I was a pre-teen. I would say were were lower class until then. They never ever said that we were any different thany any other poor or rich family (minus the money part)

But, it was instilled in me that in the workplace, it is desireable and expected to look well-kept. This meant clean clothes with no holes/rips/tears or big stains; or clothes that are ill-fitting, etc. Not I am not saying that my views could not change or that I haven't softened. For instance, for years, I would never wear jeans to work, even on casual Friday. I finally found a pair of jeans that TO ME look professional enough to wear- I am wearing them today. But with a blouse and wedge sandals (not flip flops).

I have 4 tattoos. And I specifically have them in places that can be covered. 2 of them are on my shoulder area and so depending on the top I have on, the corners can be seen. I try to avoid this, but it does happen. Then I tug at my shirt all day

I should also note that although I work in healthcare, I don't work in a clinic or hospital setting.

I totally get what you are saying. I really do...

I need to process through some other opinions I have that I think are tied into this...
Thanks for your response Sassy.

I know you said that you have some other opinions tied to this that you'll post after, but I just wanted to clarify a few things quickly, since I noticed I was a bit vague on a few things (seriously, a desire for perfectionism in my own communication/language skills doesn't even begin to describe me, so please forgive me ). I noticed that you gave a bit of your own personal background and that Jo gave something similar as well, and I just wanted to clarify that I don't just mean where we, as individuals, are coming from as far as our upbringing, but where these notions of what is/isn't professional/well-kept (beyond the obvious basic hygene issues, which always make things more...pleasant )/competent come from...which doesn't necessarily just mean our parents, their parents, their parents' parents etc., but the division of people according to station before the birth of the modern era. In medieval Europe (well, Christian medieval Europe since Heathen society differed region to region/tribe to tribe and in many cases were more "democratic" than Christian society, though as the medieval period ended we can consider the entrance of the middle/merchant class as an almost direct result of the effects of the bubonic plague) there was said to be three primary classes: the fighting class, the praying class and the working class. All three classes could be easily identified by their attire, though things became more complex with the entrance of the merchant class (and in fact it was with this class and the resulting bourgeoisie, that what might be termed a true Judeo-Christian patriarchy began to dismantle itself/crumble in upon itself), which led to early modern class division and perhaps even the mimicry of upper-class dress by lower class/emerging merchant class (to clarify, I do not mean "lower class" in any sort of a demeaning way, but as a recognition of contemporary social hierarchy) individuals in order to create that notion of what constitutes professionalism or appropriate workplace attire. If this is not the case, then why is it that what has always been seen as "professional" and "respectable" has reflected the attire popular among the "upper-classes," while what is "casual" the traditional dress of the "lower classes" or even non-Christian groups (certain popular tattoos and hairstyles originating from non-Christian groups from Europe, North America, Africa etc.)? Perhaps even a reflection of what we take seriously, and don't take seriously.

Just some food for thought.
EnderD_503 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EnderD_503 For This Useful Post: