Kobi
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Biological female. Lesbian.
Relationship Status:
Happy

39 Highscores

Thanked 34,662 Times in 7,652 Posts
Kobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST Reputation

Metro,

It would be great if discussions were able to be held here using the guidelines your questions suggest.

I just dont know if it is possible. Seems once someones fur is ruffled, no one seems to know how to diffuse the situation. As such, the allies keep posting, the rest stop posting, or like me, dont even bother posting anything anymore.

It is very sad and more and more threads have been tried as to how can we do this better or that better. Great suggestions emerge but it doesnt seem to change behavior any.

Good luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metropolis View Post
How can we be a better one?

I've noticed over the years folks repeatedly announcing/acting on their allyship to one particular *group or another, that's great... but what of being an ally to the community?

For one example I notice sometimes that gets lost when being an ally to one group translates outwardly for some as needing to rush in and "stick up" for only that group, to defend/vanguard/protect or what-not only that group. To me that [I]sometimes[I/] just reads as pre-packed personalized defensiveness more than being in any way beneficial to that group and or community cohesiveness.

In that it can actually be damaging to the "defended" groups stance and perpetuates even more of an us-them atmosphere. Even just in anyones who's been here for an hour and a day can tell who's going to "side" with who even if the subject was what's your favorite sandwich. The us/them stuff has an effect on the entire community, not just the us and thems.

I've seen blind "pile ons" exacerbate the situations, muddy waters and raise the bar. I'd think if it were more were given the credit that they could stand up for themselves and "offenders" were allowed to explain rather than spend the time defending themselves against the persons spouse, best friend, cousin, realtor and dog before giving up it would have a better chance of de-escalating into understanding or at least education. Just for clarity I see this happen to butches, femmes, trans persons etc. etc etc.

Of course this isn't true for all situations, and this doesn't mean not speaking if you're involved or have something pertinent to the conversation at hand, I'm talking about the pack or mob mentality or blind defense etc. It just occurs to me that [I]we are a community over all[I/] and being a community ally would be what benefits all of us including your home group, spouse, cousin and dog.

Can we be an ally to one group and still listen to other groups and be an ally to them also?

Is it really being an ally to dismiss and verbally stick it to another group so thoroughly in the name of your home group that hard feelings between the two continue?

Can we counter off color remarks as coming from the "individual" who made them? Address "them", quote "them", without generalizing and throwing that persons entire ID (group) and grandma under the bus as being responsible?

If we supported others as well as ourselves wouldn't they be more apt to be supportive of "us"?

Generally, what are ways we can stick up for ourselves, our friends and still be an allies to everyone in the community.

I guess I'd start by say I think for one being a community ally means listening to everyone before releasing the pre-canned responses.

Last this threads subject is how we can be better community allies, and not a place to defend why you defend your "home" group... it's meant to be about bettering the atmosphere for us all. How we can better speak up for (or be allies to) our home groups without stepping on others. It's not personal, don't take it personally, over the years I've seen dozens of people/ or examples of the situations above, including myself.

Well all I can do is hope I've expressed this in the good spirit it is intended, but if not, just know I bite when overly poked or provoked.

*** By "group/s" I'm speaking of any ID be them butch, femme, transpersons, male, female etc. etc. etc.

Kobi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kobi For This Useful Post: