Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
HER - SHE
Relationship Status:
Relating

Thanked 10,830 Times in 3,200 Posts
AtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

And now a discussion on the other side of the coin!
Comment away!!!!
http://www.wbaltv.com/r/24513015/detail.html
Probe Continues After Dog Fatally Shot At Park

Federal Officer Accused Of Fatally Shooting, Killing Siberian Husky

POSTED: 2:09 pm EDT August 4, 2010
UPDATED: 9:33 am EDT August 5, 2010

Anne Arundel County's executive has asked for a "thorough and complete investigation" after police said an off-duty federal officer shot and killed a Siberian husky at a dog park.

The federal officer, whose name hasn't been released, told Anne Arundel County investigators that he and his wife were at the park with a leashed German shepherd on Monday at 6:30 p.m. at the Quail Run Community Dog Park in Severn.

At some point, the unleashed husky named Bear-Bear came over to the German shepherd to play.

"They were roughhousing, wrestling, (doing) what dogs usually do," said Ryan Kurinij, a family member related to Bear-Bear.

The officer told Anne Arundel County police that he tried to get Bear-Bear off of his dog and that the husky tried to bite him.

According to a statement from Anne Arundel County police, "The off-duty officer stated that he feared for the safety of himself, his wife and their dog and subsequently shot the husky with a handgun he had in his possession."

Rachel Rettaliata
Bear-Bear's owner, Rachel Rettaliata, sent photos to WBAL-TV. | View More Photos

"I was shocked because he took out his weapon, took two steps back and fired," Kurinij said.

The dog was taken to Anne Arundel Veterinary Emergency Clinic in Annapolis, where he died.

"I find it so hard to believe that this man really felt his life was in danger when he had so many other avenues to break up what was just a dog tussle," said Rachel Rettaliata, Bear-Bear's owner.

"You've just taken away something that we can never get back," said Ryan Rettaliata, Bear-Bear's owner.

Neighbors who know Bear-Bear said the dog was not mean or aggressive, and they are upset about the shooting.

"Honestly, I just think it was a guy with a gun who thought he had the power, and he just did a really stupid thing. Stupid," said Tarnna Hernandez, a neighbor.

Late Wednesday afternoon, Anne Arundel County Executive John Leopold and the county's police chief said the investigation continues.

"I want this case investigated thoroughly to find out all the facts of this case to determine exactly what happened, and if charges are warranted, and if they are warranted, we're going to prosecute to the full extent of the law," Leopold said.

Leopold added, "I have great concern regarding the shooting incident (Monday) night at the Quail Run dog park. It is concerning whenever a firearm is discharged at a public facility, let alone a facility that close to homes and children playing. All aspects of this incident merit a thorough and complete investigation.

ALSO ON WBALTV.com

"We have wonderful resources for dog owners in Anne Arundel County. I want to ensure our citizens that these facilities are a safe and enjoyable place to let your dog exercise."

Police said the man who shot the dog is a Department of Defense employee.

No charges were immediately filed.

Anne Arundel County police declined to identify the federal officer on Wednesday.

Maryann Hodges, a spokeswoman for Fort Myer in Arlington, Va., released a statement, saying, "Anne Arundel County police is handling the investigation. The individual (involved) has been cleared of all charges through Anne Arundel County. He was off-duty on annual leave. He will report to work tomorrow (Thursday)."
AtLast is offline   Reply With Quote