Old 08-06-2010, 01:51 PM   #324
JustJo
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
pushy broad
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
Follow your heart; it knows things your mind cannot explain.

1 Highscore

Thanked 25,407 Times in 4,661 Posts
JustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtLastHome View Post
On one hand, I feel joy that the oil is no longer gushing from this well. On the other, I feel a sense of dred because I believe so much has been and will be swept under the carpet in terms of the real effects this will have on the Gulf.

Will this get buried under the next story of a big disater? Just because this leak is capped, does not mean there is much to do in development of ways to stop this kind of mess. Will we actually change policy and institute safe guards? or, will people forget about this just because we don't see oil floating on top of the water or the tar balls on beaches? Will people realize just how toxic this is in the long run for wildlife and the food chain if we don't have live video streams of that oil gushing? Will resources to avoid something like this again be allocated? Will deep-water drilling continue to be accepted and given approval?

Yanno.... see no evil, hear no evil, say no evil...
I totally agree with what you're saying here. It seems like an unfortunate reality that most of the time we only deal with the thing that's jumping up and down in front of our faces...another reason we aren't taking any significant action to prevent global warming (but that's another whole thread).