Kobi
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Biological female. Lesbian.
Relationship Status:
Happy

39 Highscores

Thanked 34,663 Times in 7,652 Posts
Kobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST Reputation

These are scary times and exciting times.

I don't believe we have ever had a "global economy" meltdown before. It is interesting to watch as the powers that be worldwide try and figure out how to orchestrate a recovery. It seems logical that, at some point, someone is going to come up with a formula to create the new economic reality that has been touted in the mainstream media. Whether that solution will be a help or a burden for the average person is an unknown.

I am very concerned about the upcoming midterm elections given the state of the economy. It seems, historically, that in good economic times, people are more expansive in their thinking and voting. In tough economic times, people seem more constrictive. This is worrisome...even to me, a person who at times can make Sarah Palin look like a liberal!

The discontent with the economy has already led voters to throw out long term incumbents. I believe there were reports of 70+ Democratic seats in jeopardy in the House. I am fearful people will express their discontent by voting their emotions thereby replacing one set of Washington insiders with just another set of Washington insiders.

Our politics is too governed by people with oodles of money and the corporations which feed off and bolster their elections. Tea party folks seem to be appealing to a broad range of discontented people who have lost a great deal of their economic security in this meltdown. If you read or listen to their platforms, they are playing to peoples fears and realistic concerns. At times, they may have valid points but this seems akin to a psychotic having brief interludes with reality. They are just plain scary people with scary ideas. Yet I fear their popularity is being fueled by fantastic marketing to vulnerable and gullible people who want quick answers to complex realities.

As for Obama....I have to feel for the guy. He inhereted a bigger mess than anticipated. He has enacted some short term economic stimulus programs which have benefited some individuals and corporations for a bit. I'm not sure these spotty time limited programs bode well for a global recovery but they do keep folks employed and busy for the short term.

He has tried to live up to his campaign promises (welcome to washington Mr President!) and maintain a hopeful attitude for our future. But, we Americans are an impatient people, especially when our homes and bank accounts are in jeopardy.

I think it will be an interesting process to watch.

Now, I have noticed folks here quote the Huffington site a lot. Is there some reason for this?

Kobi is offline   Reply With Quote