Is Grateful

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Engaged

Thanked 1,584 Times in 622 Posts
SassyLeo Has the BEST ReputationSassyLeo Has the BEST ReputationSassyLeo Has the BEST ReputationSassyLeo Has the BEST ReputationSassyLeo Has the BEST ReputationSassyLeo Has the BEST ReputationSassyLeo Has the BEST ReputationSassyLeo Has the BEST ReputationSassyLeo Has the BEST ReputationSassyLeo Has the BEST ReputationSassyLeo Has the BEST Reputation

About 10-12 years ago, I had this sticker on my 1986 VW Golf:

I hadn't "come out" yet, but my parents are queer and I had been involved in alot of activism with my father. Several people at my job asked why I had it. I was sort of teased about it (not in an obnoxious way, but I just grew tired of the "winks"), so I removed it from my car.

I had a small rainbow cling at one point on car I had about 5 years ago, but it faded...and I never replaced it.

I live in in Portland, OR. And before that, Santa Cruz, CA. Both are VERY liberal and SUPER queer. Recently we had a couple of gay bashings (men) and it has made people more cautious about displays of queerness, however rainbow flags are still everywhere.

I think, for me, because my community is so queer and we are so intermingled amongst straight folks (neighborhoods, work, etc)... it just isn't a big deal to make sure it is "known".
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to SassyLeo For This Useful Post: