Pink Confection

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her, Ma'am
Relationship Status:
Dating Myself

Thanked 11,382 Times in 2,839 Posts
Apocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by softness View Post
::::soft eyes on those who mourn the loss of loved ones:::::

let me share with you a tradition my family does at xmas every year. It is not xtian, it is druid/pagan, tho some forms of it were adopted and adapted into xtian carpathian mtn area customs...

on xmas eve, we fast all day, to cleanse our body and to prepare for the huge feast that our gods and goddesses provide...

at dinner time, when the night sky turns past indigo and into violet, the table is set, with one extra seating. That seat is to invite all our passed over ancestors and loved ones to join us.

we dine by candlelight to break the darkness and to provide an envelope of sacred light around us

we join hands and give praise for the bounty of last year, for the health of ourselves and our beasts, for the governance of and support by our gods and goddesses, etc

we pass around a clove of garlic and bite off a piece...to chase the devil away...

we heap on our plate unleavened bread, soaked in lightoil and poppyseed

and top it with prunes

all of which are sacred foods from our region

afterwards, we blow out the candle, thank our ancestors for joining us and clear off the table. As a child, I followed my father outside so he ould give the leftovers to the animals. As part of this was generated thru xtian lore, it was believed this was the nite the good lord would ask the animals if their master was kind to them. If so, the land and the family were blessed. If not, atonement was set for the following year. Not punishment. Atonement.

I remember watching my father scratch the animals on their head and remind them to tell baby jesus how each nite he carried buckets of fresh water out to them even in the coldest of weathers. I have never met a more kind farmer in my life than my father...he taught me how to love the animals who serve us...

perhaps this year an extra place setting could be set at your tables...
What a wonderful way to celebrate!

I usually end up at the in-laws or relatives I have nothing in common with wishing I were home.

I can't tell you how lucky you are to have had a kind father who loved and cherished animals.