betenoire

How Do You Identify?:
Satan in a Sunday Hat
Preferred Pronoun?:
Maow
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 8,742 Times in 2,566 Posts
betenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputation

And just so we're clear - I wasn't kidding about Greyhound stations. They're a fucking GOLDMINE.

But, really. I find if you want to meet people in general, you go to where your type of person would normally hang out.

Like 'em smart? Start lurking around independent bookstores. Like 'em pretentious? Start lurking around coffee shops (not starbucks). Like 'em nerdy? Start lurking around comic book stores. Like 'em to completely forget you exist for weeks at a time? Start lurking around video game stores.

And GO TO THE BAR. That's the whole reason that queer bars exist. So we have somewhere to drink, dance, and meet other queers. And if dance clubs are too loud/obnoxious/meat markety for you (and, believe me I understand that. oy)...it doesn't have to be a dance club. You said where you live has a pretty big community - so USE that community. I'm sure there has got to be at least one sit-down Dyke bar - go there and sit down. Does your city or a nearby city have a gayborhood? Yes? GO THERE. Walk around. Get a latte and read a book. Pet strange people's dogs. Say hello to strangers. SMILE. Stare back.

Edit!!!

Get in touch with your nearest LGBTI centre. Sign up for some stuff - I bet they have stuff. Take a self-defense class for Queer Women. Volunteer for Queer events. Go to book launches. See live bands. Participate in protests. Eat alone at sidewalk cafes. Just GET OUTSIDE.

Last edited by betenoire; 09-19-2010 at 08:00 PM.
betenoire is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to betenoire For This Useful Post: