Old 11-08-2009, 07:12 PM   #17
Darth Denkay

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
I'm good with whatever
Relationship Status:
in love and loved

Darth Denkay Has the BEST ReputationDarth Denkay Has the BEST ReputationDarth Denkay Has the BEST ReputationDarth Denkay Has the BEST ReputationDarth Denkay Has the BEST ReputationDarth Denkay Has the BEST ReputationDarth Denkay Has the BEST ReputationDarth Denkay Has the BEST ReputationDarth Denkay Has the BEST ReputationDarth Denkay Has the BEST ReputationDarth Denkay Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Linus,

Thanks for your expertise! I can't really call myself a convert - I started on an apple machine in the early eighties and I've never owned anything but. I use a pc at work, but my preference is and always will be a Mac. Nice to hear someone like you support Macs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linus View Post
Hey Goofy,

I'll add my expertise in that might be of help. I've used all platforms throughout my life (I actually counted and have used 13 different OSes). Prior to going back to Mac I had been using XP because of my computer security needs (XP is great to break into) as well as gaming needs (I gotta have my WoW). My work offered me the opportunity to get a MacBook Pro (OS 10.4 at the time and we're about to upgrade to 10.6 once corp finance gets its butt in gear). So I decided to go back to Mac again, after an absence of about 7 years.

It's actually very easy to switch over and if you're really not sure, the Apple stores have a program to help you. One of the pluses I have (given the company I work for) is the ability to use a program called VMware Fusion. You can take your old PC, turn it into a virtual machine and run it on top of OS X (like an application, not instead of). I did this for a while so I could take my time transferring what I needed (you can use VMware Converter, a free application, to turn your old PC into a virtual machine). Once I had finished the transfer, I deleted the VM and got the extra space back. I'm now pretty much using my Mac exclusively and my Dell desktop has just bitten the big one so I think I may be forking over for a new Mac laptop for personal use.

If you have questions or need advice, just ask.
Darth Denkay is offline   Reply With Quote