Is Grateful

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Engaged

Thanked 1,584 Times in 622 Posts
SassyLeo Has the BEST ReputationSassyLeo Has the BEST ReputationSassyLeo Has the BEST ReputationSassyLeo Has the BEST ReputationSassyLeo Has the BEST ReputationSassyLeo Has the BEST ReputationSassyLeo Has the BEST ReputationSassyLeo Has the BEST ReputationSassyLeo Has the BEST ReputationSassyLeo Has the BEST ReputationSassyLeo Has the BEST Reputation

Interesting topic. Good idea.

I'll first say, I am by no means an Engineer or DBA or Sys Admin.

But there is a small part of me which is technically savvy enough to hook up tech stuff/audio equipment/internet in my apt. Purchase and install memory in my own and others' laptops, repair/install the wifi at my mom's house while on vacation over Thanksgiving. Do some mild database work and create graphics/collateral for my job. General easy tech-y stuff.

AND (the big AND) I sometimes think they are surprised that I can. Not my family, per se, but work folks. I am sure some of it is because IT is typically a male dominated profession, but it used to piss me off that there was this perception that because I am a woman and not in an IT role, that I would be incapable of doing ANYTHING technical. The assumptions are frustrating. However, now that they have learned I can figure stuff out, folks in my dept generally call me to fix their computer issues before calling tech support. 9/10 of the time, I can do it.

And it doesn't help that we have people in much higher roles than mine, like the Controller...who can barely even use Excel. Not helping the stereotype, in my opinion. However, I guess I should be grateful the Controller is a woman