View Single Post
Old 11-16-2010, 08:44 PM   #24
RockOn

How Do You Identify?:
sitting over there ----->>>>> :)
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:

Thanked 10,308 Times in 2,609 Posts
RockOn Has the BEST ReputationRockOn Has the BEST ReputationRockOn Has the BEST ReputationRockOn Has the BEST ReputationRockOn Has the BEST ReputationRockOn Has the BEST ReputationRockOn Has the BEST ReputationRockOn Has the BEST ReputationRockOn Has the BEST ReputationRockOn Has the BEST ReputationRockOn Has the BEST Reputation

I do software engineering and have been at my present job for six years and nine months. Our Bureau Chief held a special meeting in February 2009 for contractors only. Bottom line: We want to keep everyone of you. If you want to continue working here, submit your paperwork and be reachable or come this Fall, whatever happens is on you.

Some contractor friends started getting laid off. Watching my buddies go, one by one not only saddened me but was the wake-up call. I knew this was a serious, no-bluff situation. In past years, I have ridden through bluffs. Not the case here. Since I did not want to move, I opted for security. I have been a permanent employee for just over a year. All of us contractors took a pay cut to get to stay. The ones who did not want a pay cut moved. I made the correct choice for me. Good benefits (BC/BS insurance, sick leave, personal leave, a dozen paid holidays each year ... no stress at all and being a contractor was always stressful) I did not like PowerBuilder and had been coding in that environment for several years in contractor capacity. When I became a permanent employee, I was granted the privilege of working on a Microsoft Visual Studio (MVS) Development Team - which I enjoy tremendously. I have experience from years ago in MVS and mentioned to managers before I became permanent how much I would like to get back into MVS. They have provided between 15-20K in training so far to renew my MVS skillset in the past year.

I cannot complain about a thing except for this loud, rude woman who sits right by me. She keeps loud visitors and work friends in her cubie constantly or talks on personal calls way too loud. It makes it difficult for me to concentrate and get my work done. Since this is my only complaint, I figure I am in decent shape. I bought earplugs at Home Depot. It is all about trade-offs and deciding what type balance I require.
RockOn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to RockOn For This Useful Post: