Old 11-20-2010, 01:36 PM   #7
Dragonfly

How Do You Identify?:
Queersexual Female
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
smiling real big

Dragonfly Has the BEST ReputationDragonfly Has the BEST ReputationDragonfly Has the BEST ReputationDragonfly Has the BEST ReputationDragonfly Has the BEST ReputationDragonfly Has the BEST ReputationDragonfly Has the BEST ReputationDragonfly Has the BEST ReputationDragonfly Has the BEST ReputationDragonfly Has the BEST ReputationDragonfly Has the BEST Reputation
Default thought provoking

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtLastHome View Post
I often think about how it is in places like you are in! A very good reason for having a place such as this site to be able to communicate with each other! I grew up (middle-school and HS years) in a small Northern CA town and have to say that there was much the same going on. So many people believe that all of CA is open to queerdom and more progressive politically- that is just not true.

And these are the places that we need to open up! Plus, I keep wanting to re-locate in a more rural setting. I miss a more quiet life. One of the things I keep thinking about is that when I am able to make a move, it is important that I make contacts with "our people" (meaning the B-F aspects of the LGBTIQ populations) before moving. The Planet provides a way to do this. Supah'!!

It seems like some of our members (like the administrators, but there are others) have made progress with being able to relocate to a more rural setting, yet, be political and themselves. I admire the folks here that do this and hope I develop what it takes as an older person to do this. I love SF and the Bay Area due to it being more open, but, the pace is not for me, overall. And it has a high cost of living which as a retired person, cuts into my ability to travel more and just do things I enjoy doing that do have fees, etc. LOL... I am just at one of those "simplify" stages in life, I think.

Thanks for your input.
I think we would see an huge influx of activity from rural areas if folks from the larger communities start relocating AND staying committed to fostering new growth politically. Imagine if fifty strong experienced leader types were to move into the rural areas across this country and create a structured organized outlet for those of us scattered away from the big cities... !!