Old 12-24-2009, 08:22 AM   #97
Jess
Timed Out - Permanent

How Do You Identify?:
decidedly indifferent
Preferred Pronoun?:
other

Thanked 5,702 Times in 1,684 Posts
Jess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Write14u View Post
I go either way, PEEcan or PeCAHN. Speaking of which, my momma called and has two of 'em ready for tomorrow night, no matter how it's pronounced.

Speaking of grits, the only way I knew to eat them was with sugar. My dad said it's because they were such a special treat when he was growing up. They got oatmeal all the time, but not grits. So when they got grits, they fixed them the same way as they did their oatmeal -- with sugar.
Oh my gay! You just validated my wife's whole sweet vs savory grits thang! We have a rule about the discussion of food on the plate though.. What's on HER plate is HERS.. she is free to enjoy it anyway she chooses. Even if it's so very very wrong! LOL!

I make my sweet tea by bringing bags to a boil.. simmer for five min. Let stand for about ten.. add sugar while still hot... then place in pitcher and fill with ice instead of water. I will cap off the pitcher with more ice after that has melted. I think the "shock" effect of the ice makes it better, but that's just me.

I do use a simple syrup for mint Juelp's. And very specifically Kentucky Colonel Mint. You would be amazed at the arguments surrounding the "origin" of the Julep. What most southerners do agree with however, is the amount of bourbon used. Read: LOTS!
Jess is offline   Reply With Quote