Old 12-25-2009, 08:35 AM   #109
Jess
Timed Out - Permanent

How Do You Identify?:
decidedly indifferent
Preferred Pronoun?:
other

Thanked 5,702 Times in 1,684 Posts
Jess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisygrrl View Post
Yes! I love love Southern literature.

Tennessee Williams is one of my fave southern authors; I even adore the movies based on his work (the homo-eroticism is toned down or cut out, but that gaping hole was pretty evident even to '50s viewers).

Flannery O'Connor is one of my heroes in the literary world; she wrote (mostly) short stories--and they're brilliant. Gothic with a lot of internal struggle (that is never resolved), especially in relation to Christianity/religion.

I've also read Margaret Michell's Gone With The Wind--which is even better than the film!

I could gab about Southern Lit all day long, but I'll stop and say:

Merry Christmas, Ya'll!
Love Southern women writers! O'Conner is def my favorite, because of the gothic nature of her stories. In good company with Carson McCullers, Eudora Welty, Alice Walker, Blanche McCrary Boyd, Patricia Cornwell, Anne Rice and a friend of mine Sheri Reynolds

Who can leave out Faulkner, Twain, Capote, Poe, and Thomas Wolfe, and John Grisham? The list of Southern writers goes on as do novels written about the South by "yankees". I had forgotten That Harriet Beecher Stowe of Uncle Tom's Cabin was from CT!

I also get confused by some folks who seem to write from a Southern experience that don't live in areas I see as the south. I always "felt" Hemingway was a Southerner at heart, though he was from ILL. He must have been a "wannabe" southerner..LOL

Great thoughts to embrace about the South!

Merry Christmas Ya'll!
Jess is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jess For This Useful Post: