How Do You Identify?:
Permanently Banned 10/24/2010
Preferred Pronoun?:
She.
Relationship Status:
Married (one of 18,000)

4 Highscores

Thanked 7,109 Times in 2,327 Posts
SuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Differently Abled and bridging the communication gap....

I know that there are several of us who are oft misread in this format. For *Me* having a Brain Injury can lead to impulsive responses coupled with tangential thinking. What I mean by that is I can go into a thread about Tomatoes, which makes me think of salads or Italian Food, which may or may not remind me of my bad date with a cannoli. I tend to take readers on a round about journey with me that can lead to head scratching and offended posters who think I am not being serious.

When I am reacted to with anger or animosity I tend to want to lash out on the same level. Sitting on my hands is an art form.

So how can we we bridge this gap? I think work on both sides must happen. It's one thing to say "Hey, I am differently-abled" and an entirely different thing to say "Because of my different-abledness, I am often impulsive and tangential. If doing so has upset you and confused you please pm me so we can talk about it".

I wish we had a little icon like a handi-cap placard we could place in our profile that is visible so that other posters have some kind of indication.

Thoughts anyone? How do we as Differently-abled going to be proactive?
SuperFemme is offline   Reply With Quote