Old 03-14-2011, 07:00 PM   #37
DapperButch
Roadster Guy

How Do You Identify?:
FTM, Stone Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
He

Thanked 26,893 Times in 5,771 Posts
DapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemme View Post
Beautifully said.

There is often judgement, I think, but it's usually from the listener. Why on Earth should I have to rephrase something that is not prejudiced...not hateful...not hurtful to anyone because it doesn't 'feel right' or 'sound right' to someone else? That's like telling me not to call myself Queer because Aunt Sally is 'uncomfortable' with the term.

I am NOT okay with that. Even though I don't use the phrase often, there's a part of me that wants to say it a LOT now.

I know your inquisitive nature, Dapper, so I know you don't feel judgement coming from yourself, but it sure sounds like it in text. I do want to say that I do understand that you tend to think 'out loud' on the threads and I do know that you're not in a Judgy McJudgerson frame of mind right now, but as we all know, it's hard to 'hear' folks when all we have are colored words on a white background to go by.

As some have mentioned the emphasis is not on the 'truth' but on the 'me' or 'my'. To me....ME...when someone questions something I've said is 'my truth' or is 'true to me', it feels as if they are questioning ME, whether it's because they don't like the phrase or if they don't understand it, etc. When someone speaks up and says...in one way or another...this is about ME...that is a very personal thing for them. It's a part of them. I always try to keep that in mind, especially if my truth or my reality as I see it does not coincide with theirs.

Yeppers.

Wild, maybe. Unusual, not a chance. Ask ten people what Stone means to them. Or Queer. Or just about anything. You'll get ten completely different answers. That's the blessing and the curse of this medium. Soooo many people, with different lives, experiences, truths, beliefs, judgements, etc coming together to discuss specific topics.

I'm raising an eyebrow at you because you said, again, that those who use this harmless phrase should stop because it might make things more difficult for other people or be uncomfortable for others.

I remember you saying this a couple of times and then thinking that it's an outstanding phrase. To thine own self be true, but with less thines and thees.

Exactly.
Hi, Gemme. I wasn't aware as to how this sounded. I am glad that you know that it was just a "talking out loud, wondering", kind of thing.

No, I don't actually mean that I think that people should stop using the term. I have no investment in that, at all.

Thank you for giving me the opportunity to clarify and giving me the benefit of the doubt.

Are you educated or indoctrinated?
DapperButch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DapperButch For This Useful Post: