Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Male
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him
Relationship Status:
Widow

Thanked 2,582 Times in 837 Posts
DomnNC Has the BEST ReputationDomnNC Has the BEST ReputationDomnNC Has the BEST ReputationDomnNC Has the BEST ReputationDomnNC Has the BEST ReputationDomnNC Has the BEST ReputationDomnNC Has the BEST ReputationDomnNC Has the BEST ReputationDomnNC Has the BEST ReputationDomnNC Has the BEST ReputationDomnNC Has the BEST Reputation

Hi Lyric,

Sorry to hear about your partner. You've already been given wonderful advice concerning medical power of attorney and power of attorney. Toxic also needs to fill out a living will as well and have it notorized.

One other thing that will save yer rear end financially, if you have a joint checking or savings account then you need to go to the bank and fill out (crap, can't remember the legal term for it) a paper that stipulates that in the event of death of either of you then the remaining partner is entitled to all funds in said accounts and if something does happen (and I wouldn't wish that on anyone) then you need to get your lil rear end to the bank asap and switch all the accounts over to your name only. If you don't have ALL that done when the bank finds out one is deceased they freeze your account until the estate is settled. It basically states all funds accumulated by the two of you in that joint account becomes yours.

When my wife passed away I went down to the bank within the week and had her name taken off everything and put in just mine so her relatives or some off the wall person claiming she owed them something couldn't come knocking wanting a hand out.
DomnNC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DomnNC For This Useful Post: